Carnival Cheers Package/Sail from NYC

tomtravel

36 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

My comment on pinching was in regards to day one with the cheers program.  To be precise, you did not purchase a program for drinks on HMC, just on the ship.  How does Royal and NCL do it on their priv islands?

NCL's drink package is included on their private Island in the Bahamas. I'm pretty sure drink package is also valid on Royals private island Coco Cay..

17 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

I really liked how Royal Caribbean let me use the soda package while on Labadee. It was unexpected as I am accustomed to not being able to on Princess Cays.

I’m hoping it will be the same way in Coco Cay as I have their Deluxe Beverage Package on that cruise.

Does their drink package extend to Labadee?

18 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

NCL's drink package is included on their private Island in the Bahamas. I'm pretty sure drink package is also valid on Royals private island Coco Cay..

Interesting....thanks

10 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Does their drink package extend to Labadee?

Honestly, not sure. I usually only get the soda package and any other drinks are charged per item. For my Allure TA, I added the Deluxe Drink Package because I saw it at the mistake price of $18/day and was getting the soda package anyway. For $9 more with all those sea days, it was too good of a bargain to pass up.

Believe it or not, I don’t spend that much time on the Royal Caribbean boards despite it being my second preferred cruise line after Princess. I guess I just enjoy their product and don’t follow their discussions as much as I do for other cruise lines.

• Thanks 1

Wow! As the original Poster, I never thought this thread would go to page three.   I now feel sorry for the Bartenders that have to explain this over and over to all the customers on day 1.   On NCL you sign for the drinks,tax,and gratuity on day 1,but by day #2  only the tax shows on your account.

I thank you for the lively debate and wish you safe travels always!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

I really liked how Royal Caribbean let me use the soda package while on Labadee. It was unexpected as I am accustomed to not being able to on Princess Cays.

I’m hoping it will be the same way in Coco Cay as I have their Deluxe Beverage Package on that cruise.

If you visit Princess Cay on Princess the beverage package can be used on the island.

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 10:15 PM, SNJCruisers said:

That's all well and good....but why does NCL provide their drinks package out of NYC on day one with no problem and Carnival doesn't?

I agree, makes no sense. 

Some usual faces here. Instead of responding to multiple posts I’ll summarize.

the package sale law applies to ny not nj.

rcl does not sail out of ny.

ncl does not sell a drinks package. Depending on the cabin you select, you choose 1 or 2 free options with one of the four choices being free all you can drink. The other 3 choices are free WiFi, excursion credits and a specialty restaurant credit. So it’s not a package sale as outlined in the nys law. It’s included in your cabin cost. It’s one way of getting around the law. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RRLLAL said:

ncl does not sell a drinks package. Depending on the cabin you select, you choose 1 or 2 free options with one of the four choices being free all you can drink. The other 3 choices are free WiFi, excursion credits and a specialty restaurant credit. So it’s not a package sale as outlined in the nys law. It’s included in your cabin cost. It’s one way of getting around the law. 

All true, with one exception....there is no such thing as free...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RRLLAL said:

Actually NCL DOES sell their UBP..  While it's true that an extremely large majority of NCL's pax get the UBP as a perk, it's not always the case. NCL offers a 'sailaway' rate which is significantly lower that doesn't include any "free perks" 

Regarding NYC liquor law, maybe someone else here can confirm if Cunard, HAL, and Princess offer their drink packages on day 1 out of NY on their somewhat limited sailings ..

20 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

Actually NCL DOES sell their UBP..  While it's true that an extremely large majority of NCL's pax get the UBP as a perk, it's not always the case. NCL offers a 'sailaway' rate which is significantly lower that doesn't include any "free perks" 

Regarding NYC liquor law, maybe someone else here can confirm if Cunard, HAL, and Princess offer their drink packages on day 1 out of NY on their somewhat limited sailings ..

I’ve never sailed ncl but because they go out of nyc I’ve explored many of the cruises and even done several mock bookings to get the exact price. I’ve never seen an all you can drink package to add on when you select their sail away rate. Where do you find it? 

20 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

I’ve never sailed ncl but because they go out of nyc I’ve explored many of the cruises and even done several mock bookings to get the exact price. I’ve never seen an all you can drink package to add on when you select their sail away rate. Where do you find it? 

On NCL's website..https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

Not sure how many people would actually pay $99.00 per/person per day ? { plus 20% gratuity) 

As it's been said by others nothing is FREE..NCL charges $19.80 per person per day for the "Free" drink package..We hate to fly. I cruise exclusively out of NY/NJ ..Sometimes I opt for a Carnival cruise and purchase Cheers. Sometimes I choose NCL with perks. Usually they work out about the same...Winter time my choices are NCL or Royal.. 

42 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

On NCL's website..https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

Not sure how many people would actually pay $99.00 per/person per day ? { plus 20% gratuity) 

As it's been said by others nothing is FREE..NCL charges $19.80 per person per day for the "Free" drink package..We hate to fly. I cruise exclusively out of NY/NJ ..Sometimes I opt for a Carnival cruise and purchase Cheers. Sometimes I choose NCL with perks. Usually they work out about the same...Winter time my choices are NCL or Royal.. 

Its probably $99/day plus 20% gratuity plus a service fee because they have to pay NYS fines for breaking the law. 🙂

7 hours ago, RRLLAL said:

Its probably $99/day plus 20% gratuity plus a service fee because they have to pay NYS fines for breaking the law. 🙂

They charge it because they can - people pay it. The beverage package is a gimmick that has worked very well for NCL. The 20% gratuity has been debated on their boards forever. People like alcohol on the ship and they have found a sweet spot financially to exploit this. 

• 3 years later...
On 7/6/2019 at 9:43 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Cheers is not available on Day 1 for cruises out of NYC and Galveston due to local alcohol tax laws. 

This is good to know.  I live in TX but will cruise out of New Orleans sometimes.  This adds to the pros of choosing NO over Galveston.  This time I chose NO for 2 reasons.  1. It was less expensive then the one out of Galveston and 2. My mom has been wanting to visit NO