Thoughts on Viking's "Undiscovered China" vs. "Roof of the World'?

OnTheJourney

I like both of these as possible choices for our Viking compensation cruise (from the Viking Sky incident). The "Passage to Eastern Europe" looks nice too. I realize that all of these (especially the China itineraries) also have a land component but just thought somebody here may have done both China trips and can provide some insight. The extra visit to Tibet as part of the "Roof.." itinerary sounds interesting. Thanks for any thoughts....

Tibet is enticing but it has its downsides--and best to know about them from the get-go.

First, is the very high altitude. Not everyone does well under these adverse conditions and there are a number of old reports--some on the Viking China Part 2 thread and some others dotted around threads on China. The CC search function may help you find them but since most of them are more the 365 days old, it might not. In any case, you won't know if you are one of the lucky ones until it happens to you. Good health and fitness is not a guarantee. There is not much time for acclimating to the altitude.

Second, is that if the weather conditions at Lhasa airport are adverse, that portion of the trip will be cancelled at the last minute.  How often it has actually been cancelled I cannot tell you but I know from reading here and from talk when we were on our cruise 10 years ago that it is a possibility.

However, the people who have gotten there and who have done well with the altitude (and even those who haven't) have raved about it.

No doubt about it. Viking China itineraries are more land than cruise. The cruise portion is just five nights  and 4 days of cruising (one day to embark, another to disembark). So really this is a land tour with a short cruise component.

Having done both, Passage and China with Viking, if you have never been to China before, do one of the China itineraries. I loved both cruises but imho, Viking China is the gold standard of the fleet. None of the river cruises I have done with Viking has been as well organized as was China.

Hi there - I have done "Imperial Jewels of China" - and "Passage to Eastern Europe" - both with Viking - and can offer an opinion (realizing that opinions are worth about what you pay for them... which is nothing!!  😀)

I do agree that Viking has set the bar very high for tours/cruises in China.  And, I think - if you wish to do China - that Viking is a good choice.  I was a bit limited in time so settled for the "Imperial Jewels" although I would have loved a longer tour that included more nights on the boat.  This is a very busy itinerary, so I was glad for some "down time" by the time we started our cruise.  We started in Beijing and ended in Shanghai - which was the direction I wanted to go.

Although I was interested in the "Roof of the World", I couldn't swing more time off work.  We did meet up with some people on the boat who had done the Tibet portion, and many were affected by the altitude.  It is an abrupt rise in altitude, and so I think that you need to take that into account, and take precautions if that is the trip you choose.

We went to Peru in March of this year - and I now have a healthy respect for high altitude.  We prepared for the altitude by getting the meds - and planned to take them before we went to Cusco and Machu Picchu.  We did not realize that doing a day trip to the Colca Canyon from Arequipa would take us to altitudes close to 15,000 feet (where MP is less than 10K) - so hadn't taken the meds before we went.  And, it was not pleasant.  We were the oldest people on the bus (other than the bus driver) - and the younger people didn't fare any better than we did.  We had a full day in Arequipa before we went (it is 7,500 ft up) - so that did help us a bit.  The trip from Xian to Lhasa goes from 400 ft to 12,000 ft - just saying...

So - my thoughts are to do China... but do the "Undiscovered China" itinerary, unless you are really determined to see Tibet.  But, I wonder if Tibet is now like Machu Picchu - in that it is very touristy...  Not sure if that would deter you or not...  Eastern Europe can wait for another time.  

But - Eastern Europe is wonderful as well... we are going back to sailing that part of the world again next year - but with Avalon.  If you do plan to do Eastern Europe, my suggestion would be to start in Bucharest - and add on some time in Transylvania before starting on the cruise.  And, spend some extra time in Budapest at the end. 

Not sure if this has helped.

Fran

• Like 1

Peregrina and Fran...very helpful info! Always great to hear from people who have been there. Hadn't thought about the potential altitude issues in Tibet, so probably "Undiscovered" would be the better choice. Thanks...

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

Viking offers the extension in Transylvania / Bucharest either as a pre or post. I don't think we'd want any additional days beyond that, especially since we'd probably also opt for the pre or post extension to Prague - having never been. Right now, as much as I've always wanted to see China, I think I might be leaning towards Eastern Europe - just seems easier and less complicated somehow, especially with the craziness that ensued on the Sky sailing. Much will be determined  (as to future ocean voyages) when we cruise again in October as to whether any PTSD - or similar - manifests itself, especially if we encounter rough seas in the North Atlantic. That being lifted off the deck of the Sky in a sling definitely seems to have left some lasting effects. Sometimes during the day it'll just hit me, and I'm right back there..awaiting the helicopter rescue. Europe is familiar to us....Asia not at all. Lots of time to decide since our compensation cruise vouchers are good until 2024. See how things go next year with cruises out of Bayonne and Baltimore. 

1 hour ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Viking offers the extension in Transylvania / Bucharest either as a pre or post.

We did the Prague pre-cruise but I regret not having added on extra time in Romania. They toured us around all day until we could get into our rooms at the hotel and then we were on the plane the next day.

I don't know your ages gretschwhtfalcon, but we are 69 and know that we want to do the most strenuous trips while hips and knees are working! We are scheduled for "Roof of the World" next fall.  We did Machu Picchu without issues but as has been talked about Vantage took us up slowly.  We then went to Lake Ticacata.  The hotel had oxygen for those who needed it.  Hopefully China will too.

2 hours ago, deec said:

I don't know your ages gretschwhtfalcon, but we are 69 and know that we want to do the most strenuous trips while hips and knees are working! We are scheduled for "Roof of the World" next fall.  We did Machu Picchu without issues but as has been talked about Vantage took us up slowly.  We then went to Lake Ticacata.  The hotel had oxygen for those who needed it.  Hopefully China will too.

The hotel does have oxygen and a doctor as well and there are altitude sickness pills.  

Only mid 60s here so not a problem with mobility, etc.... more likely just getting a bit lazy. Car trips spoil us (still our favorite mode of travel) and yet the way we approach those is to go-go-go and try to see as much as we can. I lock myself into an itinerary, booking all hotels well before the trip - sometimes 10 hotels over the course of an 18-19 day trip, so a "busy" land tour is doable. The part that spoils us about these cars trips is the ease of just traveling by ourselves. Other than the flying part of the trip (if needed) to the initial rent-a-car-and-get-started location, the rest is basically relaxed sight-seeing and hotel hopping, easily throwing stuff in the back and trunk of the car, and freedom to adjust the day's schedule as needed, with the exception of days when I've booked us to have to cover (sometimes) 300-400 miles to the next destination. I'm referring to US travel - would never dream of doing this sort of thing in a foreign country though I know people do. 

Great point about doing the more extensive trips while still able! I agree completely and think about this often - especially since I truly WOULD like to visit the remaining 3 continents we've not been to yet.  (Somehow never thought that the Northern Lights on the Sky would turn out to be THE most stressful trip we've ever taken though!!!...looked at the itinerary and thought...hmmm....appears reasonably uncomplicated and probably a good amount of 'down time' to just relax....OHHHH  yeah......