Wheelchair

J&Dhighdesert

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

I have also noted that the last couple of seats down in the bottom section have a handicapped logo on them. There's no place for a scooter but mobility restricted folks can use those seats and not have to be up in the nosebleed section. We thought it was pretty lame when we cruised with our son who is in a wheelchair that there is so very little space available. We had to be in the very back behind the seats and it was usually totally full back there due to all the scooters, etc.

We always arrived very early.

On 7/9/2019 at 2:21 PM, dianedebuda said:

Not to hijack, but questions in same vein that hopefully would be shared by OP...  My trip is mid Aug 2019.

When/who do you contact for emark/disbark/port wheelchair assistance?  That is, email/call to specific Princess dept or general Princess #?  If you have booked with a travel agent, do you HAVE to do this through them?  I'd prefer DIY. 

How about airline when booked through EZ?  I'm not excited about putting my CC# & authorization in any earlier than necessary, so can't yet get boarding info and I assume this means flight ticket stuff too 'cause I haven't gotten anything yet...

Most likely we will be getting a scooter on board, but from posts here, sounds like elevators can be a problem, so guessing most practical for high usage times like dinner might be having hubby ride to elevator then hoof it from there while I return it to cabin.

In my experience Princess will ask you to complete a couple of forms about your disability needs prior to sailing.

The first also covers whether you are fit to travel and your doctor has to fill in part of it. The second is about any adapted equipment including wheelchairs which you plan to bring on board. My Travel Agent prints off the forms and then sends them to me to complete.

This in theory will register you for assistance when you embark and disembark. When you arrive in the cruise terminal there will be a designated area where you report for assistance. They will have a list of passengers requiring assistance. However it appears to be common for the list to be incomplete but do not worry if your name is not there they will just add it and provide the assistance anyway. 

For disembarking there is a designated area on board usually at the bottom of the atrium where again you report for assistance.

When it comes to getting on and off the ship at a port listen out to the announcements which will tell you which gang plank to use if using a wheelchair. Then you just queue with everyone else and as soon as the crew see you they will arrange the necessary help.

As far as using the elevators goes do not worry. Yes sometimes you will have to wait longer at busy times but this applies to everyone. Just be patient and a space will arrive soon enough. Most people are very kind and will go out of their way to help. I have even had people leaving the lift so I can get in!

Happy cruising 

Juliax

On 7/8/2019 at 9:17 AM, SargassoPirate said:

I would have reported that in a heartbeat.  The only "exceptions" are when the crew are reluctant to enforce the rule for fear of losing tips or receiving a bad post-cruise evaluation.

Parking any mobility device in a corridor, elevator/stairwell lobby, and/or access to those is a violation of SOLAS fire safety standards.  Negilgence by the mobility device user and lack of enforcement by the crew places passengers at risk of not having a clear path of exit in case of an emergency.

Think how crowded those areas get after the Muster Drill and then imagine it's a fire emergency.

+1 on this response.

DON

4 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Are you suggesting mobility challenged PAXs should not be allowed reasonable accommodation?

Do you agree Princess,  does note designate enough cabins for handicapped PAXs.  Or in the dining rooms.  Or the theaters.  Why is that?

In the USA, you go to a restaurant and how many tables are designated for disabled diners?   In movie theaters?  Not many.  Why is that?

Do other countries,  have designated seating for handicapped people?  I do not know.  Do you?

The handicapped access rules only apply to the US.  Not on a cruise ship and not in other countries unless the other countries have their own rules. This means that handicapped people have no special rights on a cruise ship.

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

The handicapped access rules only apply to the US.  Not on a cruise ship and not in other countries unless the other countries have their own rules. This means that handicapped people have no special rights on a cruise ship.

DON

On 7/8/2019 at 9:17 AM, SargassoPirate said:

I would have reported that in a heartbeat.  The only "exceptions" are when the crew are reluctant to enforce the rule for fear of losing tips or receiving a bad post-cruise evaluation.

Parking any mobility device in a corridor, elevator/stairwell lobby, and/or access to those is a violation of SOLAS fire safety standards.  Negilgence by the mobility device user and lack of enforcement by the crew places passengers at risk of not having a clear path of exit in case of an emergency.

Think how crowded those areas get after the Muster Drill and then imagine it's a fire emergency.

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

I have also noted that the last couple of seats down in the bottom section have a handicapped logo on them. There's no place for a scooter but mobility restricted folks can use those seats and not have to be up in the nosebleed section. We thought it was pretty lame when we cruised with our son who is in a wheelchair that there is so very little space available. We had to be in the very back behind the seats and it was usually totally full back there due to all the scooters, etc.

Good to know reasonable accommodation does not apply on cruise ships., and other countries.   I did not know that.

Thank you.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

On 7/14/2019 at 10:00 PM, berlingo said:

In my experience Princess will ask you to complete a couple of forms about your disability needs prior to sailing.

Thanks for the info.  Guess I need to contact Princess to get the ball rolling.  So tough being a newbie. 🤣