How long did it take you to reach Platinum VIFP Status?

On 7/9/2019 at 2:53 PM, firedisney97 said:

We are still gold and our first cruise was in 2005, my husband and I each have 36 days right now, but in Feb he will have 44 and I will not.  He is cruising with my son since my daughter and I are going to Europe for 2 weeks in July 2020.  So I will piggy back off of his Platinum status since when ever we get there he will be first 🙂

Can you piggy back?  Not sure of that. 

1 hour ago, mojavetex said:

Can you piggy back?  Not sure of that. 

As long as we are in the same cabin I share his benefits - we don't get 2 of things (laundry, pins, "chocolate delight") but his VIFP number would be used for boarding/disembarkation, tenders, dining and dining reservations, so yes in a sense I can "piggy back" on him turning Platinum first. 

On 7/11/2019 at 3:15 AM, SNJCruisers said:

First 3 cruises in 86, 91 & 93 did not count, so my next 10 from 94-09 qualified me for Platinum.  My 18th is in August, bringing me to 119 days.  Will never see Diamond, since I spread things around and like to sail on newer ships on various lines and there are lines such as Princess and Virgin that I have never sailed on.

We cruised on Carnival (Festivale '87 and Holiday '91) and simply told them the dates and details (as much as we could) and Carnival counted those cruises.     I am jealous of those that got to Platinum so quickly.   We'll turn Platinum at Christmas this year. 

6 minutes ago, BTromboneFrack said:

We cruised on Carnival (Festivale '87 and Holiday '91) and simply told them the dates and details (as much as we could) and Carnival counted those cruises.     I am jealous of those that got to Platinum so quickly.   We'll turn Platinum at Christmas this year. 

Don’t be. It makes you outgrow Carnival and realize how their product downgraded so rapidly.

I wonder if it took me longer to hit Platinum if I would have a different opinion. Then again, I hit Elite on Princess in a similar amount of time and still enjoy their product.

I have not read all the postings, but I gather, since I am a gold as well, I still have many cruises to do.  The reason I say this, I have been cruising off/on over the past 25 years, and have done 15 or more, but about 4 or 5 were "other" cruise lines.  I gather to move up from gold that it has to be Carnival?  Also that the "more days" the cruise is, that is another way to move up?  I have never done more than 7 days, as up till a couple years ago, I had been working until I retired.

First cruise was Royal Caribbean in 2007.  We are now Platinum with NCL and still gold with carnival. We have also taken more Carnival cruises.  Carnival point system stinks if you are someone that books suites.  We book Haven on NCL so we get a extra point. Which when you are spending all that extra money I think is correct.  Anyway we booked our first cruise with Carnival 2011 and after taking one or two a year with Carnival I’m still gold. So I agree with you 💯.  

On 7/9/2019 at 2:45 PM, CruisingViper said:

I've been gold for a year or so now. I'm just wondering how long it took others or what age they were when they got to platinum status, or even diamond. It seems so far away after the short distance between red and gold.

It depends on how often you cruise and how long the cruises are. We can only cruise every other year. 
We taken a 5 day, a 7 day, 6 8 day cruises. And are taking the 15 day  cruise to Hawaii from San Diego in January yes that makes us Platinum.  so it is taking us 16 years but take a 15 day cruise every month for the next 6 months and you will be platinum. 

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:55 PM, xDisconnections said:

Don’t be. It makes you outgrow Carnival and realize how their product downgraded so rapidly.

I wonder if it took me longer to hit Platinum if I would have a different opinion. Then again, I hit Elite on Princess in a similar amount of time and still enjoy their product.

Not true at all.   I am doing my 10th cruise next april on Carnival and love it as much as when I first started in 2009...if not more.  

I tried RCI Allure of the seas almost 2 years ago and was not thrilled with that at all.    I will stick to what I know and love.  

Some people like different things and everyone is different.    I know that Carnival has added great things and adventures since we started and love everything about my cruises with them.

Whatever you choose...enjoy yourself, but don't try to tell others that they wont like something because you don't.

On 7/13/2019 at 12:55 AM, xDisconnections said:

I wonder why you spend so much time on this board when you dislike the product so much.

Edited by Bookbug53
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 12:55 AM, xDisconnections said:

We still enjoy Carnival.   Heck, the ocean is the ocean, and that is the biggest reason we go to sea.   However, I also realize while Carnival has changed, they still offer a great experience.  Lots of stuff is new stuff since we started in 1987.    We usually go with Carnival because we've had a good time in the past, the price is usually pretty good, and they we use the extra money we save to upgrade our rooms and go to the steakhouse.    So we don't worry about the cuts too much.  Our cruises have improved.   Maybe after we retire we'll branch out.

First cruised Carnival in 1998 (Inspiration), but did not return until 2011 (Freedom)

We will hit platinum in Mar 2020 (Panorama)

12 cruises over 22 years to make it - so excited!

First Carnival cruise was January 2007; reached platinum status in December 2011.

I currently have 141 nights sailed with another 33 nights booked this year and next, so I anticipate hitting diamond status somewhere around 2022. 

About to change next year.  I had the chance when they changed the program, Carnival sent me an invite to take a cruise and be grandfather in, but was being laid off and didn't have any extra.

Now I used to work for an airline and quite a few of my co worker would do three 3 days back to back and then either another 3 or 4 day and be platinum.  Hate I didn't do this

Our first cruise with Carnival was January of 2012. I reach Plat in Feb 2020 but my hubby is 7 days behind me on that. There is a chance we will squeeze a trip into our schedule in December in which case that will be my platinum sailing and hubby's will be in Feb. We have done all 7 night sailings with the exception of one 5 night . We only discovered cruising in 2006 at which time we were 36 and 39 years old. We're trying to make up for lost time. 

My first 2 sailings were in 1978 and 1979 (while in elementary school). The next time I sailed was in 1990 (post college). When platinum became a level in the loyalty program in 2005 I had sailed 24 times for 171 days. When the current loyalty program went in effect I was upgraded to diamond as I had sailed 34 times for 243 days.

Edited by Chip1

Yes, for those of you who are close or fairly close where you can drive to the port, you are BLESSED! Especially for those of us who love to cruise, but cannot afford to fly (like me from Kansas City, (Gladstone) MO) very often, and unless it is about a 3 or 4 hour drive, driving is out of the question also.