Crew of the Vista

I think carnival toyed with the schedule/keeping Vista on the water this long because a lot of the crew was due to change over.  Many are off for their 3 month break.  Those left will tidy things up for when the ship is in ship-shape and the new crew had their schedule altered a bit until the drydock work is done.   

Some of the passengers on this week's Vista cruise asked that question of the entertainment crew- most of them are getting a bit of extra vacation, some of the senior folks (entertainment director, CD etc) will stay onboard and work on cleanup, future planning etc. I presume that for any of the staff who are not needed onboard during the drydock will also get a couple of weeks off.

I would imagine this is a time they would use to do a good service clean in the galleys and food service areas and other parts of the ship.
With the quick turn around they usually have, I'm sure they don't get a chance to do a "deep clean" very often.

Also would give them a chance to catch up on doing a solid inventory and restock as well as maybe some additional training or qualifying on equipment.
Probably just depends on what department you are in.