Regal Mini suite or Premium Deluxe Balcony Aft

camper49

It all depends on the cruise.

If it's a long one or one with a lot of sea days, I'll always go for the mini-suite. We like the extra interior space if we're going to be spending some time "at home." But be aware that mini-suites don't automatically come with upsized balconies on the Royal class ships. Most minis have the same 9 by 4 balconies that the typical balcony cabin has.

If it's a short one or port-intensive, the interior space isn't so important to us. If you can score one of the aft balconies with a larger balcony, that's the way I'd go for a short cruise.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

4 hours ago, camper49 said:

We are currently booked in a category BB balcony. Thinking of upgrading. Any opinions from anyone that has had a mini suite and/or an aft premium deluxe balcony???

What is the difference between deluxe balcony & premium deluxe balcony?

We took a back to back on Regal spending a week in a mini and 15 nights is a premium deluxe balcony and enjoyed the aft facing premium much better.The mini had a tiny balcony and the extra space in the mini was no big deal with only 2 people.

So I have sailed in both mini and deluxe balcony (not aft) on Regal. For the price, I would totally do the deluxe balcony again if you are 2 people to the cabin (with 3, like us, I would go for mini and sacrifice the balcony). Pros and cons:

Mini suite

Pros:

+more storage space

+tub instead of shower

+more bathroom storage

+second TV

Cons:

- VERY SMALL balcony

- price

Deluxe Balcony:

Pros:

+ balcony that's actually usable

+ price

Cons:

- less storage space and bathroom space (it was sufficient for 3 of us, but tighter than what we are used to)

• Like 2

Mini suites have tub and showers.  It's all one.

Mini suites are awesome.  And you can get larger balconies on the Royal Class, you just have to pick the ones that are larger based on the ship design.  There are a few on each side that extend out.  Not necessarily huge, but larger and more comfortable than the typical Royal class balcony.

That 2nd tv and living room adds to the overall feel of the room as well. Plus on the royal class, the tv's are on the wall, and the 2nd is by the window, so you can watch from the balcony while you get some sun.

Just seems like, imo, the benefits outweigh the cons.

Especially if you're Club Class, so you're mid ship, prime real estate, to avoid noise and vibrations.

14 minutes ago, FloaterBoat said:

Mini suites have tub and showers.  It's all one.

Mini suites are awesome.  And you can get larger balconies on the Royal Class, you just have to pick the ones that are larger based on the ship design.  There are a few on each side that extend out.  Not necessarily huge, but larger and more comfortable than the typical Royal class balcony.

That 2nd tv and living room adds to the overall feel of the room as well. Plus on the royal class, the tv's are on the wall, and the 2nd is by the window, so you can watch from the balcony while you get some sun.

Just seems like, imo, the benefits outweigh the cons.

Especially if you're Club Class, so you're mid ship, prime real estate, to avoid noise and vibrations.

Which minis have a larger balcony?

11 minutes ago, camper49 said:

Which minis have a larger balcony?

When you look at the mini suites and on up, they come with size ranges.  When you decided which type of room you want and you choose to pick your room yourself, you get the room maps. of each floor and it's depicted the shape of the room. and also the balcony. So you can notice how the line of balconies is straight for all of the smaller ones, and then starts to curve in relation to the curve of the design of the ship. 

image.png.e954c92c2c1c7a5fd7d5dd819e0c35e1.png

We have two of the Club Class minis on the Royal on the front corners of the Lido deck which have enormous balconies but will be windy while at sea.

We also have two premium deluxe balcony cabins on the Royal (Marina aft-facing). I always like the privacy and view of an aft-facing cabin.

3 hours ago, FloaterBoat said:

When you look at the mini suites and on up, they come with size ranges.  When you decided which type of room you want and you choose to pick your room yourself, you get the room maps. of each floor and it's depicted the shape of the room. and also the balcony. So you can notice how the line of balconies is straight for all of the smaller ones, and then starts to curve in relation to the curve of the design of the ship. 

image.png.e954c92c2c1c7a5fd7d5dd819e0c35e1.png

When you choose the actual cabin to get the total price....the total sq. footage is listed upper right  If you compared R432 with say R426 you will get different footages....not just the range.

14 minutes ago, JoAnneNYI said:

When you choose the actual cabin to get the total price....the total sq. footage is listed upper right  If you compared R432 with say R426 you will get different footages....not just the range.

They are not very accurate.

• Haha 1

We have sailed on the Regal three times.

On the third cruise we were complimentary upgraded from a deluxe balcony  to a mini suite on Baja deck.

That was fortunate for us as my DH developed a sinus infection that caused him to stay in the cabin for a few days. We were glad to have the extra room, couch and the curtain between the bed and the sitting area.

The curtain provided him with a darkened comfortable area to nap while I could use the sitting area to read or watch a movie on low volume.

We were disappointed though,with the balcony size as they tend to run small and confining on the Regal Class  ships as compared to balconies on the Grand Class ships.

We are booked in a mini  suite on the Sky Princess. This time we are booked mid-ship on Caribe deck with an angled balcony where the ship bumps out. Hopefully, the balcony will be large enough where we can enjoy our breakfasts.

Hoping this post gives the OP some insight into the pros of a mini suite.

6 hours ago, johnmik1 said:

We took a back to back on Regal spending a week in a mini and 15 nights is a premium deluxe balcony and enjoyed the aft facing premium much better.The mini had a tiny balcony and the extra space in the mini was no big deal with only 2 people.

On our upcoming cruise on the Regal we will be aft Premium Deluxe Balcony on the Riviera deck and it is a large balcony and looking forward to it. We have been previously on the bump out section on the Regal Deluxe Balcony on the Dolphin Deck . My opinion would be to try to select a Mini in the bump outs but I don't think I would want to be located on the Marina Deck under the SeaView or SeaWalk platforms.

28 minutes ago, travlngar said:

On our upcoming cruise on the Regal we will be aft Premium Deluxe Balcony on the Riviera deck and it is a large balcony and looking forward to it. We have been previously on the bump out section on the Regal Deluxe Balcony on the Dolphin Deck . My opinion would be to try to select a Mini in the bump outs but I don't think I would want to be located on the Marina Deck under the SeaView or SeaWalk platforms.

Is there any cover on the aft premium deluxe balconys? 

Edited by camper49

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 9:38 AM, camper49 said:

Is there any cover on the aft premium deluxe balconys? 

I know this is an ageing thread but the only aft facing premium deluxe balcony cabins that have any cover are on Baja and Dolphin. The others are 100% uncovered. Check out this thread for really clear photos: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1811802-royal-princess-aft-cabin-b739/

8 hours ago, mum and son said:

I know this is an ageing thread but the only aft facing premium deluxe balcony cabins that have any cover are on Baja and Dolphin. The others are 100% uncovered. Check out this thread for really clear photos: 

We love the Dolphin deck aft facing premium deluxe balconies and have the same cabin booked again for our upcoming Regal cruise.  Having the half open/half private balcony cover is a big plus for us.  The other great thing about the location is the peace and quiet -- there is very little foot traffic back there so it is very relaxing.  We don't mind the long walk either as it helps us keep active and offset the extra eating we inevitably do on a cruise.  

5 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

We love the Dolphin deck aft facing premium deluxe balconies and have the same cabin booked again for our upcoming Regal cruise.  Having the half open/half private balcony cover is a big plus for us.  The other great thing about the location is the peace and quiet -- there is very little foot traffic back there so it is very relaxing.  We don't mind the long walk either as it helps us keep active and offset the extra eating we inevitably do on a cruise.  

For an upcoming cruise I had looked at the aft cabins, but decided against them because I wasn't keen on the only available uncovered balconies on the higher decks, then yesterday (after final payment) a Baja cabin became available. I grabbed it, and even gave up my forward facing mini suite for it. I'm in a forward facing cabin for the 10 day cruise prior so thought the wake view would be a nice change. Now I think I have the perfect mix and get to try both to help with decisions on future cruises.

14 hours ago, mum and son said:

Thanks for the link, now I know not too expect any covered balcony on our Regal cruise on the Riviera Deck. Still looking forward to the extra space and as long as it is not raining on our New England Cruise. We will enjoy it along with my sisters for perhaps some afternoon tea as we sail away from Newport and other ports weather permitting.

4 hours ago, travlngar said:

Thanks for the link, now I know not too expect any covered balcony on our Regal cruise on the Riviera Deck. Still looking forward to the extra space and as long as it is not raining on our New England Cruise. We will enjoy it along with my sisters for perhaps some afternoon tea as we sail away from Newport and other ports weather permitting.

Have a great cruise!

15 hours ago, travlngar said:

We did this itinerary last year, and had a beautiful sail-away from Newport.  There was a fancy black-tie wedding happening on the lawn of one of the mansions as we sailed by, and the Captain played the ship's horn, which is the Love Boat Theme.  They seemed to appreciate it and everyone was out on their balconies watching.  The sun was setting and it was pretty magical 🙂