Still have no idea what to do!

Sersee

First time cruising... and have never been to St Thomas. 

I have  read a lot of the topics and still confused. There are so many beaches and then St Johns as well. We are in St Thomas from 11:30 to 7pm.

We don’t want to go on the gondola up the mountain. I have also been told it’s hard to get a taxi.  I have read about a ferry to St John.

As a first timer who knows absolutely nothing and just wants to see beautiful St Thomas and  the beach, what would you recommend?

" I have also been told it’s hard to get a taxi. "

I don't know where you heard this. There are more taxis than people on St Thomas! LOL

Perhaps a classic island tour with beach stop and shopping downtown would be a good start. You will get an overview of the island and help out the local economy with your purchases.😉

I'd rule out a trip to St. John's.  You don't have that much time.  There are plenty of nice beaches on St. Thomas, as well as other points of interest.

I agree with O2B, an island tour, maybe one that takes you to Drake's Seat for a good view of all the islands and a beach stop would be good.  And there are taxi's galore.  It's harder to stay out of a taxi that to catch one!

If you want to visit a beach, Magen's Bay is always rated one of the most beautiful.  It can be crowded.  Sapphire Beach isn't far and has good views of St. John and the BVI.

If you dock at Havensight there is probably more shopping there than in the traditional downtown Charlotte Amaile, but if not you can swing by downtown to stimulate the local economy.  Since it's a US Territory there is a US Post Office right on the corner where you can mail postcards.  They might get to their intended recipients not too long after you get home.

Check out Godfrey tours. He has two hours of sightseeing including a stop at Mountain Top, two hours of shopping, and two to three hours at a beach. He's very reasonable and highly recommended. I've used him many times.

• Like 1

STT is famous for her beautiful beaches, as is STJ. For a first visit most folks will head to a beach and see Charlotte Amalie’s shops after. Others will head to STJ and Trunk Bay or one of the less busy beaches. Figure an extra 1 - 1.5 hours travel to get to the beaches of STJ. 

With your later arrival the shops in CA will probably be closing when you get there so you’d probably have to reverse the order. As post #3 mentioned there are lots of shops right at the Havensight pier if you are docked there.

With your later arrival all of the popular beaches will likely be crowded when you get there. If considering a STT beach I’d suggest Sapphire for the space to relax and the beautiful water colors and island views. Excursion options through the ship may include the Secret Sands excursion to beautiful Smith Bay Park (Lindqvist Beach), but your time there is limited. Not sure if the Champagne Catamaran to STJ is an option with your late arrival, but that is a nice alternative to crowded beaches.

Good luck!

There are 2 STT beaches that I would recommend, Magens Bay & Saphire. It is very easy to find a taxi and you can also request a specific time for them to return you to the ship. Definitely allow time for traffic when planning your travel time.  STJ has the most beautiful beaches and I would highly recommend the ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay, then hop on a open air taxi for a Northside beach tour and then some shopping before catching the ferry back.  I would only do this option if you have at least 8 hours in port.  Again, allow time for traffic.  I love STT & STJ!! Have fun!