First time cruiser

Tom_H

Thank you for all your posts. I am a first time cruiser and much of your insight led me to book my first cruise now in July with Seabourn. I have found many answers browsing through this forum but I have a few that I seek your advice and insight on.

First, we are departing from Venice and will stay a few days in Venice prior to the cruise. Have booked us a nice hotel “down town” Venice, and plan to use a private water taxi to the terminal. I see that it’s not a small terminal but rather large. Can the water taxi drop us of next by the ship and is there a way to figure out what terminal we have to go to prior to the big day?

Should we be there at boarding time 12, or will we just end up waiting a long time to embark?

We booked a Veranda Suite OB and was lucky to get a V6 cabin, but we were assigned one of the accessible suits and she so much wanted to have a tub….. So I called Seabourn and payed for an upgrade to a Penthouse Suite just outside the Observation bar. Looking at the layout of the PH I am quite sure we will be happy (as I am pretty sure we would have been in the first suite assignment as well….) However, will I get new tags for the luggage or is this something that will be done at check-in in Venice?

Wi-Fi. I see that many of you complain about the Wi-Fi onboard, is it really that awful or has there been any improvements recently? Is it worth getting unlimited access?

In-room dining. I see some recommend to have at least one dinner in your suite during a cruise, and some recommend against it… Any advice? The same goes for breakfast is it something you have to order the night before or can you wake up and just call room service?

Any other recommendation for couple of first time cruisers and first time on Seabourn?

Once again thank you for sharing your insight in this forum.

In Venice the Water taxi took us to a baggage drop off point and there were shuttles to the ship (or one could walk.) from there. It worked out very smoothly. Arriving at noon IME is fine. Enjoy! 

The Wifi is really that bad.  I would advise NOT to buy unlimited access.  Instead, buy a package of some minutes (maybe 300).  You do have to remember to log out or your minutes will continue to run.  

We have very much enjoyed room service breakfast---especially when leaving the ship at a port early in the morning.  We have NOT enjoyed room service meals at dinner nearly as much.  Others may have had better experiences.  

We have loved our SB cruises and hope you have a wonderful time.  

Regarding Wifi: whether you buy a package or unlimited can depend on the length of a cruise. If you're on a 7-10 day, perhaps buying minutes is fine. For longer cruises, unlimited is better, mostly for not having to remember to log out. SLSD mentions 300 minutes as an example; can't remember how much that costs (do the math🙂). You said, July; I assume you mean 2020. Perhaps Wifi will be an included amenity by then, and therefore, no decision to be made. I'm sure you'll like Seabourn as much as we returning clients.

We always board around Noon---no problem

We were on the Ovation this past May and the Wifi was better (not great) than it was last October---perhaps we got lucky or they are really working on it.

We stay in one of the Penthouse Spa Suites and enjoy breakfast in the suite almost every day. It is nice to not be rushed to get dressed and there is enough variety for ordering--including asking for some things not on the order card.

Definitely consider having at least one dinner in the suite--nice after a long day out and you do not feel like getting changed and cleaned up--sitting in a T shirt and shorts (weather permitting) on the balcony or in the room watching a movie can make for a nice quiet relaxing evening. They will serve the meal all at once or course by course if you want to spread it out 

Tom_H you might be able to get a $400 OBC credit as a Referral as you are a first time cruiser with Seabourn if you are not getting any other OBC from Serabourn We have always used this $400 OBC Referral for unlimited internet as we consider this as "free" money which then it "seems" to cover the slowness of the internet. Another thing we have found is that our phones seem to work better than the ipads for some unknown reason, even down at Antarctica which surprised us

14 hours ago, Tom_H said:

Wi-Fi. I see that many of you complain about the Wi-Fi onboard, is it really that awful or has there been any improvements recently? Is it worth getting unlimited access?

Tom_H. The Wi-Fi is slow, (satellite via the states) with limited bandwidth, the speed depends on how many are on-line at one time.

I work offline and go online to send and receive. A 2 hour package costs $20 and that usually lasts me a week. I find that early mornings have the best speed.

I assume that you are on Odyssey out of Venice to Athens this July 27 ?

Odyssey has just had a mult-million dollar refit so maybe the Wi-Fi has  improved ?

Re: Dining en-suite: Flying 22+ hours from Oz we usually choose longer cruises (20 to 36 days) so we are more inclined to have dinner course-by-course occasionally, especially after a long day touring. 

Midday check in is fine, normally there is not much waiting with Seabourn (it does depend on the port authorities though)

If you haven’t received your new luggage tags they’ll issue new ones at the dock.

Breakfast en-suite: you can order with a door card the night before or just pick up the phone.

You have picked a great itinerary on a great cruise line, have fun and enjoy👍😀

Edited by SKP946

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes we are out of Venice July 27 on the Odyssey. I have noticed that they have done some upgrade so maybe the wifi has improved. (I will try to give you an answer in a few weeks:)

@Thecat123 - With regards to OBC we got 150$ from Seabourn so I am not sure if it is possible with a referral and we have also made the final payment.

I am really looking forward to this cruise, can’t wait to embark and enjoy some days in luxury

1 hour ago, Tom_H said:

With regards to OBC we got 150$ from Seabourn so I am not sure if it is possible with a referral and we have also made the final payment.

You are still eligible for the $400, (the coupon goes in after your final payment)  its just that you won’t  be able to use the $150 if it came from Seabourn, but if the $150 is  from your TA it can be used in conjunction, (check that, $400 is better than $150)

Best find someone local to Seattle with a referral who can post it off quickly.

SKP946 you and I were replying at the same time and I was saying what you have said

I have found by emailing a copy of the referral coupon to Seabourn then mailing the original one gets a reply the next day from Seabourn which speeds things up

21 hours ago, Tom_H said:

Should we be there at boarding time 12, or will we just end up waiting a long time to embark?

However, will I get new tags for the luggage or is this something that will be done at check-in in Venice?

In-room dining. I see some recommend to have at least one dinner in your suite during a cruise, and some recommend against it… Any advice? The same goes for breakfast is it something you have to order the night before or can you wake up and just call room service?

Any other recommendation for couple of first time cruisers and first time on Seabourn?

Once again thank you for sharing your insight in this forum.

Hi Tom_H

Feel free to board anytime between 12 and 4 at your leisure.  Seabourn usually has 15 or so check in stations so, what ever time you get there, your wait will be 1 minute or less (unlike the 5000 passenger ships).  Your room will be ready a 2 and your bags will arrive between 5 and 7.

Luggage tags are bar coded and SB ignores the suite number and uses the bar code info (suites change all of the time last minute). If you have suite numbers on your tags just X over it with a sharpie (just to help you feel better).  

Wi-fi, our favorite thing to complain about on the SB forum.....  SB's Wi-fi is slow but adequate for checking email and facebook.  You won't be streaming the Mets game live.  One work around I used in the past: my T-Mobile account comes with free world wide internet and free texting  so I waited till morning to get my emails on my cell phone in port.  I learned the hard way to put my phone into airplane mode to avoid the "cellular at sea" roaming charges when not in port.

If you like room service as we do, the' in room dining' service and food are excellent.  You can choose any from any of the MDR and or Earth and Oceans items on menu .  No TK and I'm not sure about Sushi.  We order room service once or twice a week to have a quiet evenings in the suite and watch movies. Seabourn will also bring you a big bowl of popcorn if you ask.  You will get an "all inclusive" breakfast menu door tag to hang out the night before.  I've hand written "bloody mary" on it and it comes :)  If you don't like room service, don't get it.   Last suggestion: if you want something special for dinner, say tempura shrimp, just request it the night before from the restaurant manager in any of the restaurants.  Just tell the what restaurant and what time (TK excluded).

On Odyssey at the moment and the wifi is fine. Still not as good as at home but I was able to stream the British GP qualifying live yesterday with very few pauses. Not heard any comments on it being slow. I’m on unlimited package whether that would make any difference. Maybe you might be able to stream Mets game!!

Edited by Qld13

On 7/13/2019 at 9:17 AM, Tom_H said:

Thank you for all your posts. I am a first time cruiser and much of your insight led me to book my first cruise now in July with Seabourn. I have found many answers browsing through this forum but I have a few that I seek your advice and insight on.

Which ship is this cruise???

2 hours ago, Qld13 said:

On Odyssey at the moment and the wifi is fine. Still not as good as at home but I was able to stream the British GP qualifying live yesterday with very few pauses. Not heard any comments on it being slow. I’m on unlimited package whether that would make any difference. Maybe you might be able to stream Mets game!!

We always get the unlimited package due to business reasons.  I’ve never been disappointed with the internet speed but again I’m just checking business emails.  I wish there was no internet at all so I could get away from “it all” :)

2 hours ago, Qld13 said:

When we were on Sojourn recently, everyone was asked NOT to stream out of consideration for everyone else using the wifi system. 

18 minutes ago, SLSD said:

When we were on Sojourn recently, everyone was asked NOT to stream out of consideration for everyone else using the wifi system. 

Some streaming sites are blocked. I found this out when I couldn’t reach a non-streaming site I needed access to and had to ask them to whitelist it. They said it had been blocked because it erroneously tagged as a streaming site. (Quest)

We were told that no streaming should be done for the reason stated above.  Also, it is important to log out when you are not using the system.  Many who have unlimited access do not--and it affects everyone else.  We had unlimited access, but tried to be good ship citizens and log out every time.  

As an IT tech, we call this a bandwidth issue ( or lack of bandwidth issue). It’s like water running through a pipe. If the the pipe is big enough, 500 people  can take a shower at the same time.  If the pipe is small, 10 people taking a shower at the same time will use up all of the water pressure. The RCC Oasis has enough bandwidth for every passenger to stream live video (according to their advertising people). That’s a BIG pipe.  I don’t know how much bandwidth Seabourn ships have but it doesn’t take many passengers streaming live video to slow the internet down for everyone. 

13 minutes ago, raphael360 said:

As an IT tech, we call this a bandwidth issue ( or lack of bandwidth issue). It’s like water running through a pipe. If the the pipe is big enough, 500 people  can take a shower at the same time.  If the pipe is small, 10 people taking a shower at the same time will use up all of the water pressure. The RCC Oasis has enough bandwidth for every passenger to stream live video (according to their advertising people). That’s a BIG pipe.  I don’t know how much bandwidth Seabourn ships have but it doesn’t take many passengers streaming live video to slow the internetdown for everyone. 

And that is why it is important to heed the admonition and NOT stream!  I had a miserable experience with the wifi onboard even though I had paid for unlimited access.  We were told that those who were not logging out and who were streaming were affected the service for everyone else.  

My bad!! assumed that because it worked it was ok to do. Won't do it again. Also not been advised about logging out by staff when we signed up but will make sure I do it from now on. Thankfully you learn plenty here!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Qld13 said:

My bad!! assumed that because it worked it was ok to do. Won't do it again. Also not been advised about logging out by staff when we signed up but will make sure I do it from now on. Thankfully you learn plenty here!!

You are a good person Qld13. 

Tom,

We just finished this same cruise July 6 (first Seabourn cruise - and we’re already planning our next one,) and I’d definitely recommend heading to the ship around noon. 

We flew into Venice the day of departure and, due to a slight flight delay, arrived at check-in just before 2 pm. Despite the 5 pm scheduled departure, we were on our way at 3:30. 

So your wait may be much shorter than you think!

Have a wonderful time!