Bringing spirits/liquor on board at embarkation

Aus ATC

Just wondering if this is possible - understanding it will be quarantined for the trip.  My wife wants to bring some special gin from the UK on our Venice cruise.  The NCL website talks about purchases "from ports of call" being held till the last night.  Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of this applying for the departure port - or will we lose it.  Thanks.

My understanding is that beverages in carry-on luggage will be stopped by security. You will be asked to consume it or dispose of it. Beverages in checked luggage will flag a trip to the naughty room where it will be I'm pounded for the cruise.

Has this procedure changed?

Edited by Paul Bogle

1 hour ago, Paul Bogle said:

My understanding is that beverages in carry-on luggage will be stopped by security. You will be asked to consume it or dispose of it. Beverages in checked luggage will flag a trip to the naughty room where it will be I'm pounded for the cruise.

No the procedure  hasn't changed. If you want to avoid this procedure just carry on and declare going through security

Edited by FranknBeans

9 minutes ago, casofilia said:

I did it in Yokohama last year with a bottle of Japanese Whiskey.  They hold it for you till debarkation.

The OP sounds like they want to do it at embarkation..... was your experience at embarkation? Did you carry it on or put it checked luggage to be called to the naughty room? My concern would be that the local security personal wouldn't know to pass it along to NCL to hold and make you discard it similiar to soda / water etc.   Also, wouldn't there be import tax consequences bringing a bottle of alcohol from one country to another? 

I know you can do what you described at a port during the cruise. 

@esm54687

Thanks for asking as I had to think a bit more fully.   It was on embarkation day BUT!!   Due to a change in itinerary Embarkation Day turned into an overnight stay.  After I had embarked I went off the ship again and spent all the Japanese currency on a ¥4300 bottle of Japanese Whiskey.  It was therefore as if it was a port call not at embarkation!!   Sorry.

12 hours ago, Paul Bogle said:

10 hours ago, FranknBeans said:

No the procedure  hasn't changed. If you want to avoid this procedure just carry on and declare going through security

Thanks for the replies - but the 2 quotes seem contradictory.  If we have the spirits in our carry-on (declared of course), would it be held for us, or disposed of?  I'd prefer not to have to go to the naughty room to retrieve my checked luggage (better things to do on my first day on board), but don't want to risk losing the goods by an overly zealous port security guard deciding my carry-on was not permitted on board at all (even if held by the ship's security team).

We have brought bottles of spirits onto ship at embarkation - we surrendered them and got them back at disembarkation.

No problem, but best to carry them on rather than put them in luggage - you have better things to do than waste your time going to naughty room. 

Also make sure the bottles are sealed/unopened.

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 1