Sushi on Five

bikerunner

3 hours ago, bhughey said:

Yes, usually open on embarkation day. We love Sushi on 5 - it's a must for specialty dining on every cruise for us... usually more than once!

We  still miss Bistro on Five for embarkation  day lunches.  Long gone! .

Heading back to Summit  in 2020

We'll try sushi on 5...A la carte pricing would be ok...just lunch but maybe rhey have specials on the board??? Bet it won't be crowded.

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

Heading back to Summit  in 2020

We'll try sushi on 5...A la carte pricing would be ok...just lunch but maybe rhey have specials on the board??? Bet it won't be crowded.

It's never crowded nor even close to it.

Edited by mahdnc

6 hours ago, ladyonboard said:

I do not eat Sushi, but my husband loves it!.  We will be on the Summit in December, and wondered if there are options for non-Shushi diners?  Perhaps Tempura?  

We had a similar situation with some of our travel mates (they ultimately opted not to go to dinner with us).  They do have soups (ramen/udon) if you just don't like raw fish.  They also had a Kobe slider that was a giant (tasty) meatball basically in the appetizers.  They did not have tempura on the menu, except in rolls, but we definitely saw other tables had ordered a plate of tempura and been accommodated. 

On our December 2018 Silhouette cruise we did a lunch there on a sea day...a la carte pricing.  We found it to be quite good, and the wait staff friendly.  Would do it again!

So I'm a real sushi novice (don't ask) and really looking forward to trying out Sushi on 5! However, I've no real idea what to order to get the best spread any suggestions? what are your favourites?

1 hour ago, Alushar said:

So I'm a real sushi novice (don't ask) and really looking forward to trying out Sushi on 5! However, I've no real idea what to order to get the best spread any suggestions? what are your favourites?

Definitely hard to say.  I would start out with the different rolls. Spicy tuna my favorite or one of along with rainbow.  Sushi is part taste and texture on your pallet so best don’t go for straight sushi etc at first. That’s why I say look at the rolls. Most are mixture of rice fish veg in them   Fluke has always been one of my favorites very mild in taste but can’t go wrong with tuna either.  I enjoy them all.  

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 5:20 AM, Alushar said:

This depends heavily on your affinity for seafood, and aversion to texture issues (uncooked seafood can be texturally offensive to some).  I have not eaten at Sushi on Five, but here is a primer for newbies:

Forms of "Sushi" in order of "easiest" to "most adventurous" for the novice:

Rolls (Maki):  fish & other elements rolled in dried seaweed (Nori - has little flavor) and sticky sushi rice
HOW TO: Eaten with your fingers or chopsticks, optional light dip in soy, and eaten in one bite if possible. 

Nigiri : Slices of raw fish afixed to a small chunk of rice with a touch of spicy wasabi between them.
HOW TO: Eaten with fingers or chopsticks, optional light dip of RICE side in soy, and eaten in one bite if possible

Sashimi: Slices of raw fish on their own
HOW TO: Generally eaten with chopsticks but fingers are acceptable. Generally soy is not used but it can be. 

A few other points:

• A simple California Roll is the "gateway" to sushi, and doesn't include any raw fish. 
  • Anything Eel based is a polarizing semi-sweet umami-heavy flavor. Taste before ordering much. 
  • The least "fishy" sashimi to try is likely Tuna (Maguro) or Yellowtail (Hamachi). 
  • Anything "Spicy" utilizes a lightly spicy mayo-based paste
  • Anything "Tempura" involves frying the fish in a light crispy/flaky batter
  • Ramen is a deliciously rich complex broth based dish that everyone should try
  • Mochi are small "balls" of ice cream encased in a doughy-rice based "shell". It's different and very tasty. 
  • Sake is rice wine. Hot sake is popular but cold unfiltered sake is delicious. Snow Maiden Nigori is incredible. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 12:47 PM, bhughey said:

Yes, usually open on embarkation day. We love Sushi on 5 - it's a must for specialty dining on every cruise for us... usually more than once!

Thanks..that will be our plan!