Exploring Manhattan prior to disembarkation

Janetonboard

Hello,

I'm on a cruise in September that arrives in Manhattan at 7:00 am on disembarkation day. The flight home that NCL has booked leaves LGA at 7:50 pm, with an NCL booked transfer to take us to the airport. 

We are completely new to cruising, so I don't know what to expect on the disembarkation day. Can we leave the ship like we would at any other port and go explore Manhattan, and then return to the ship in the afternoon to officially disembark? Or are we going to have to officially disembark in the morning and go straight to the bus to be transferred to the airport where we will have to sit around for 8 hours or so? I'd love for us to get out and see a tiny bit of New York, but have no idea what the disembarkation and transfer process is with NCL. 

On disembarkation day once you're off the ship you're off the ship for good. They have everyone off the ship by around 10am because they have to turn the ship around to start letting the next cruises onboard around 11am. NCL transfers are buses that take you to the airport as soon as the bus fills up and they usually require you off the ship by 9am (if not earlier) so you'd likely be to the airport by 10am. So if you want to explore NYC you'd either need to do it leaving from the airport or cancel your NCL transfer and figure out another method to see the city and then make it to the airport. 

I'm not aware of whether that terminal has port valet or not, but in Seattle you could have Port Valet take your bags to the airport so you'd be free to explore Seattle without your bags.

17 minutes ago, FranknBeans said:

You should ask while onboard. My guess is no know

The OP should definitely NOT leave this question until she's on board; if she wants to have some of that day to explore Manhattan, and especially if she doesn't want to be sitting around an airport all day, she needs to get an answer before she leaves.

I've never heard of anyone being able to leave their luggage on a ship on disembarkation day and then come back on board to retrieve it.  I have never done an airport transfer with a cruise line, but from my experience cruising, I have to believe the process will be as described in comment 2 above.

OP:  call NCL and get an answer to your questions, but I will bet you have to disembark in the morning and get on the NCL transfer to the airport.   Also, know that some cruise lines have a shore excursion/city tour offered for people who have late flights; you keep your luggage on the bus, and then are dropped off at the airport.  I have no idea whether that will be an option for you.

I also suggest that you head over to the East Coast Departures forum and post a question about seeing NY on your own before your flight, storing your luggage at one of the luggage storage places recommended by the local experts on that board, and making your own way to LGA.  They frequently field such questions in that forum and can give you good advice.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 3

On disembarkation morning, you 'check out', and leave the ship with all of your luggage, and go through customs.  They must completely clear the ship of passengers before permitting new guests to board.  They won't store your luggage on board, and the pier luggage handlers leave as soon as the check-in desks close, along with all the other workers.

The airport transfers don't run all day.  They run full from pier to airport and return full of arriving guests, continuing the loops only until the last of the arriving guests have been delivered to the pier.  Since boarding closes at 2pm, the last pickup at each airport would be 1pm, meaning the last run from the ship would be at noon - at the latest. 

If you'd like to see some of the city:

1) Cancel your airport transfer.

2) Book Luggage Express (where your suitcases, collected from the hall the night before) are delivered to the airport and tagged for your flight. They get shipped in a truck, not on the passenger busses.  This way, you don't have to drag them around the city.

3) As soon as you exit the terminal, walk 100 yards to the right to the Intrepid aircraft carrier museum, it's worth the time.

Then... 

4) Take an Uber/Cab or walk to Times Square, it's several blocks, but walkable. Get on any of the city-tour Hop-On-Hop-Off busses, there are several options, and you won't have any trouble finding one.  Spend a little time gawking at the street performers, remembering that they expect/demand a $1 if you take their pictures.  Smile!!

OR

4) Buy an all-day transit pass at the subway station practically across the street from the pier, and explore on your own.

Finally,

5) Cab/Uber from Manhattan to any airport is about $50... which is probably what you paid for two transfers, anyway.

• Like 1

I agree with Turtles06 and Sue Do-Over above.  You can book a NYC excursion at the end of your cruise. You can start here - you will have to filter your cruise info:  https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions/search?destination=Bahamas+%26+Florida+Cruises,Bermuda+Cruises,Canada+%26+New+England+Cruises,Caribbean+Cruises,Panama+Canal+Cruises,Weekend+Cruises&port=NYC

Of course, the other option to do what Sue Do-Over said - or rent a car/driver for the day - to do on your own. That way you can store your bags in the trunk.

Edited by vamom76

You do not want to rent a car! Get off the ship, get a cab to Swartz luggage storage, and then have a plan on what you want to see. I don’t think the cruise port will get your luggage to the airport. A few hours before your flight, get a cab or uber to take you to LGA.

• Like 1

I agree with some points that SueDo-Over made in her post.

Call NCL to check if they have a program to deliver luggage from the ship to the airlines you are using.

On Princess cruises, they offer such a program. You put the luggage out in the hall on the last night of the cruise with the appropriate destination tags ,then you pick up the luggage at baggage claim after your flight. In doing this,make sure you have clothes to wear the next day and keep valuables/ medication with you in a tote bag or backpack so in the event that your luggage gets delayed or lost,you have those things with you.

As a native of NYC, I don’t recommend getting a subway pass. If you are not familiar with the City, it is not the best mode of transportation for you.

I think the idea of a hop on-hop off bus is a good one for quickly getting a view of the City.

I am not sure about visiting the Intrepidwhich is docked alongside the NCL ship.

If naval ships are your interest,fine. If not,there is so much to see in your time frame I would go directly to the sightseeing bus stop. 

I think you will disembark on a Sunday,which is a bit of a quieter day in the City- a good thing.

Try to get brunch or lunch in a local restaurant. Please stay away from the chain restaurants that are all over the country.

I may be biased,but there is no comparison anywhere else with bagels or pizza made in NYC.

Also check NCL if they offer a sightseeing excursion of NYC afterdisembarkation. That way,your luggage is stowed on the bus and transport to the airport is taken care of for you.

Keep in mind,although the arrival time is noted as 7:00, you may not be able to disembark until sometime after.

Also,you should plan to reach LGA at least an hour and a half ahead of your flight time. It is a drive of at least a half hour from Manhattan to the airport without traffic. 

Factor your time accordingly.

Finally, you do not ,definitely do not,want to rent a car if you are not familiar with driving in NYC. Also parking may be difficult to find on the street and parking garages tend to be pricey. 

Enjoy your cruise and my favorite city !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

I agree with some points that SueDo-Over made in her post.

Call NCL to check if they have a program to deliver luggage from the ship to the airlines you are using.

On Princess cruises, they offer such a program. You put the luggage out in the hall on the last night of the cruise with the appropriate destination tags ,then you pick up the luggage at baggage claim after your flight. In doing this,make sure you have clothes to wear the next day and keep valuables/ medication with you in a tote bag or backpack so in the event that your luggage gets delayed or lost,you have those things with you.

As a native of NYC, I don’t recommend getting a subway pass. If you are not familiar with the City, it is not the best mode of transportation for you.

I think the idea of a hop on-hop off bus is a good one for quickly getting a view of the City.

I am not sure about visiting the Intrepidwhich is docked alongside the NCL ship.

If naval ships are your interest,fine. If not,there is so much to see in your time frame I would go directly to the sightseeing bus stop. 

I think you will disembark on a Sunday,which is a bit of a quieter day in the City- a good thing.

Try to get brunch or lunch in a local restaurant. Please stay away from the chain restaurants that are all over the country.

I may be biased,but there is no comparison anywhere else with bagels or pizza made in NYC.

Also check NCL if they offer a sightseeing excursion of NYC afterdisembarkation. That way,your luggage is stowed on the bus and transport to the airport is taken care of for you.

Keep in mind,although the arrival time is noted as 7:00, you may not be able to disembark until sometime after.

Also,you should plan to reach LGA at least an hour and a half ahead of your flight time. It is a drive of at least a half hour from Manhattan to the airport without traffic. 

Factor your time accordingly.

Finally, you do not ,definitely do not,want to rent a car if you are not familiar with driving in NYC. Also parking may be difficult to find on the street and parking garages tend to be pricey. 

Enjoy your cruise and my favorite city !

NCL does not offer a luggage delivery program, but they do sometimes tours. However, the tours tend to end pretty early.

Those booked on NCL Air with included airport transfers get a special color tag and are usually among the earlier groups for disembarkation, typically called around 8:30 am to proceed to the gangways & head for CBP/customs, retrieve baggage inside/downstairs.  There is drive-by NYC tour ending at LGA or JFK (not always offered to EWR) for flights after 4 p.m. - cost was/is $99 p/p and luggage are stored on the bus - you ride thru Lower Manhattan, WTC/911 Memorial area (with a quick photo stop, I believed) and see a bit of midtown Manhattan, before dropped off at the airport after 1 or 1:30 pm ... tour is scheduled to last 3 to 4 hours.

Perhaps, OP can ask ahead (instead of waiting until onboard with the Shorex Desk) to upgrade/change to do that motorcoach/bus tour.  LGA's terminals are in the middle of a multi-year expansion & upgrade, once there - it is nice both landside & airside, plenty of choices for food & concessions, shops & free WiFi to relax and enjoy.  

Depending on OP's plans & interests, another option is to consider buying a one-day Airline Lounge Pass, sometimes offered & available for about $60 a person - beverages, TV & newspaper, comfortable & relaxed sitting and WiFi access, etc. ... to kill the time.  

Otherwise, Schwartz Luggage on W. 37 or 38th Street near 8th Avenue, a short Uber/taxi ride from the pier can store luggage for a small fee - go roam the city on foot or bus, subway or what not - have a nice meal or two, then - leave by 3 to 3:30 p.m. for the airport ... must allow plenty of time to reach LGA, and more time to get to the airline terminal's curbside (that itself is easily 15 to 30 extra/more minutes due to construction work.)

Thank you everyone for your helpful thoughts! I now have a much better idea of how the day is going to go. 

We've never been to New York, but we are from Toronto so we are comfortable walking around and exploring a big city. That said, we weren't planning to see much of New York on this trip because we feel it is great enough to warrant its own special trip someday. 

We can't send our luggage direct from the cruise ship to the airport (airline luggage checkin, or whatever it is called). Since we are flying back to Canada that won't be an option. 

At this point I'm going to head over to the east coast departures thread, as well as checking out Swartz luggage storage and other options. We are going to mull over deciding between the following:

• Letting the day play out as set, getting to the airport overly early where we will just sit back and people watch or maybe see if there is room to get moved to an earlier flight.
  • Or, cancelling our booked transfer and just going out on our own and heading to the airport mid-late afternoon. (But with this option we may lose out on the money already paid to NCL for our transfer. I think we are past the cancellation date to get a refund of our transfer cost.)
  • Or, switching from the transfer to the NCL excursion that tours NY and ends at the airport. That has some appeal, but it is costly, especially since we likely won't get a refund of the transfer we've already paid. We'd rather explore on our own than go on a guided tour, but I like the idea of a guided tour where our luggage is stored on the bus. 

We still have almost two months to decide. 

Thanks again everyone for your help! 🙂 

16 hours ago, Janetonboard said:

Letting the day play out as set, getting to the airport overly early where we will just sit back and people watch or maybe see if there is room to get moved to an earlier flight.

Worst case, if you can't get an earlier flight and baseball is of interest, the Mets have day games 3 of the 5 Sundays in September and the field isn't far from LGA.  Tickets shouldn't be hard to come by on a walk-up basis.  Sept. 8 and 15 are 1:10 games against Philly and the Dodgers, respectively, and Sept. 29 is a 3:10 game against the Braves (final regular season game) but that may be a bit late for getting back to LGA for an 8 PM flight.

IMO, if you're going to do some self-exploration of the city, the 9/11 museum is very well done and is a must-see if it has been on your radar for something to do but you probably want to allot 5-6 hours to properly go through the museum and see the memorial.  You should buy tickets ahead of time, and they do hold you to the entrance time you select with ~15 minutes on either side.

We used Schwartz Luggage before we discovered Vertoe. It's basically like an Airbnb for luggage. Whereas with Schwartz you have to get to that specific location, there are hundreds of Vertoe locations all over NYC, generally in the back of convenience stores and such. I know it sounds crazy, but insurance is included in the cheap daily rates, reviews are good, and we've never felt more comfortable. 

https://vertoe.com/luggage-storage/new-york-city?utm_source=google-mybusiness&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=357

Thanks for the ongoing suggestions. Schwartz sounds good, but the location might not be convenient, so Vertoe sounds like another great option. I would never have thought of there being an Airbnb for luggage, but it makes good sense. 🙂 

On 7/17/2019 at 3:22 PM, Janetonboard said:

We've never been to New York, but we are from Toronto so we are comfortable walking around and exploring a big city. That said, we weren't planning to see much of New York on this trip because we feel it is great enough to warrant its own special trip someday. 

We can't send our luggage direct from the cruise ship to the airport (airline luggage checkin, or whatever it is called). Since we are flying back to Canada that won't be an option. 

At this point I'm going to head over to the east coast departures thread, as well as checking out Swartz luggage storage and other options. We are going to mull over deciding between the following:

• Or, cancelling our booked transfer and just going out on our own and heading to the airport mid-late afternoon. (But with this option we may lose out on the money already paid to NCL for our transfer. I think we are past the cancellation date to get a refund of our transfer cost.)
  • Or, switching from the transfer to the NCL excursion that tours NY and ends at the airport. That has some appeal, but it is costly, especially since we likely won't get a refund of the transfer we've already paid. We'd rather explore on our own than go on a guided tour, but I like the idea of a guided tour where our luggage is stored on the bus. 

We still have almost two months to decide. 

Thanks again everyone for your help! 🙂 

I don't know about NCL but other lines will let you upgrade to a city tour for the difference.

The cancellation date is for the cruise not the tour. From the NCL web site

•  

• Flexibility

Modify or cancel excursions without penalty up to 48 hours prior to arrival into port.
  •  

Call NCL , they should be able to help or stop by SX desk asap after boarding.

20 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Shame your flight is so late. You could literally take a bus back to Toronto and arrive home before your flight out of NYC even leaves Lol

Yup. 😂

We are treating this trip (Canada/NE cruise from QC to NYC) as an experiment to see if my husband and I like cruising. I've been on one cruise before, and he hasn't been on any. Letting NCL book our flights is all part of the experiment. So far, the positive side is that we are saving ~$700 with the free airfare offer. The negative side is that on the way in they fly us to Montreal and then put us on a 3 hour bus ride to Quebec City. On the way home they fly us out so late (when there are several other flights before ours that would work.)  

My only other experience was a Costa cruise out of Guadeloupe. Those people that had Costa arranged airport transfers, could stay on the boat well into the afternoon if that was when their bus left for the airport. And they could come and go from the port area until then so they could go explore Guadeloupe before officially disembarking. Costa provided a supervised area for passengers to store their carry on luggage while they spent their time on the ship or in the port. I do understand why this NCL cruise and NYC port are different, but it would be great if we could have stored our luggage on the ship while we toured around NYC for a bit. 

We will still have a great time though!

1 minute ago, Janetonboard said:

Yup. 😂

We are treating this trip (Canada/NE cruise from QC to NYC) as an experiment to see if my husband and I like cruising. I've been on one cruise before, and he hasn't been on any. Letting NCL book our flights is all part of the experiment. So far, the positive side is that we are saving ~$700 with the free airfare offer. The negative side is that on the way in they fly us to Montreal and then put us on a 3 hour bus ride to Quebec City. On the way home they fly us out so late (when there are several other flights before ours that would work.)  

My only other experience was a Costa cruise out of Guadeloupe. Those people that had Costa arranged airport transfers, could stay on the boat well into the afternoon if that was when their bus left for the airport. And they could come and go from the port area until then so they could go explore Guadeloupe before officially disembarking. Costa provided a supervised area for passengers to store their carry on luggage while they spent their time on the ship or in the port. I do understand why this NCL cruise and NYC port are different, but it would be great if we could have stored our luggage on the ship while we toured around NYC for a bit. 

We will still have a great time though!

You'll have a Great time on the ship......not sure about the transportation 😉

Janetonboard

Interesting to read about your experience on the Costa ship. 

My DH and I have been taking cruise vacations since 2004.

We have sailed on Cunard,NCL,Celebrity and Princess. We have sailed from NYC, Bayonne,NJ,Fort Lauderdale, Seattle, and Southampton,England.

We have always been directed to disembark by a certain time in the morning and claim our luggage in the port terminal. No accommodations were offered for luggage storage so we could explore the ports.

The only passengers keeping their luggage on board are those doing a back-to-back voyages ,for obvious reasons.

Wishing you and your hubby an enjoyable cruise and visit to NYC.