AARP Carnival Gift cards - Sweepstakes!!!

cruzincat50

I just looked at it again and now it says it starts on 7/31.

It doesn't cost anything.  Just points which are free.  See other threads about how to get on the AARP Rewards for Good site.

typically the cost is 98 points per day after logging in, which gives you 2 points.  The smaller value sweeps are 49 points.  The big ones are 2 points per entry, the smaller are 1/entry.

2 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

The skeptical side of me thinks that it's easy to lose value in points when you give them away for a random drawing for a jackpot prize. It's not like you have much of a chance when 1000 points saves you actual $10 per $100 card.

Well I agree....sorta. As you know, you are awarded points for taking a free quiz. You accumulate points. You can only spend 200 points per day when playing in that sweepstakes. I started playing in mid June, accumulated enough points to buy 2 Carnival Gift Cards.  $200 in face value for $180. Not a bad deal. Of course everyone knows that. Plus after purchasing the G.C.'s I STILL have 10,175 points to play with. So, I'm playing every day in the Sweepstakes plus playing the quiz's. Win win situation IMO. YMMV.

Just bought 3 cards myself.  I know it's only 10% off, but that is 30 I save.  Now, I didn't realize how many points I had, really wasn't in to it. I have question. The points I do have, will that carry over to the version of AARP starting 8/1/2019? Or do I have to start over?  Thanks, having a hard finding what they are going to offer after 8/1

9 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Plus after purchasing the G.C.'s I STILL have 10,175 points to play with. So, I'm playing every day in the Sweepstakes plus playing the quiz's. Win win situation IMO. YMMV.

Ahh, as a new member, this is first cruise I used cards and AARP, I ran out of points. But with that many points yeah I'd do it. 🙂

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

Well I agree....sorta. As you know, you are awarded points for taking a free quiz. You accumulate points. You can only spend 200 points per day when playing in that sweepstakes. I started playing in mid June, accumulated enough points to buy 2 Carnival Gift Cards.  $200 in face value for $180. Not a bad deal. Of course everyone knows that. Plus after purchasing the G.C.'s I STILL have 10,175 points to play with. So, I'm playing every day in the Sweepstakes plus playing the quiz's. Win win situation IMO. YMMV.

I'm in a similar situation.  At the point AARP announced the end of their current program, DW and I had about 350,000 points between us.  We have already purchased enough Carnival gift cards to pay off all of the cruises we have booked, cover anticipated onboard expenses, and even cover one or two additional cruises.  We still have over 200,000 points left, so we are maxing out on sweepstakes entries every day.  The problem is that there are likely many others doing the same thing, and the chances of winning is nil.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TomCruise48 said:

I'm in a similar situation.  At the point AARP announced the end of their current program, DW and I had about 350,000 points between us.  We have already purchased enough Carnival gift cards to pay off all of the cruises we have booked, cover anticipated onboard expenses, and even cover one or two additional cruises.  We still have over 200,000 points left, so we are maxing out on sweepstakes entries every day.  The problem is that there are likely many others doing the same thing, and the chances of winning is nil.

I fear you might be right, Tom. With the popularity of the G.F.'s that AARP has( especially for cruisers) I can see a potential run on the Sweepstakes. I hope that's not the case though. I'm to new into this 'game' to be shut out on the front end!😲

Bumping my question. I read on another board that effective 8/1 they are going to have new point system. If this is true, wasn't sure if the points already accumulated will transfer to new system. Does anyone know this to be a fact?  Can't find anything on their web site. 

8 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

My understanding is that current points will not carry over to the new program.

that is what I thought, so start spending those points.  Do you have idea how the new point system will be?

42 minutes ago, Diggerof4 said:

that is what I thought, so start spending those points.  Do you have idea how the new point system will be?

No, I wish I did.

I've been using points on sweepstakes for days, after buying all the Carnival gift cards (and gift cards for Christmas gifts) I can afford.

I have no inside information; only know what I've read on the Rewards for Good website.

I have all fingers crossed hoping the new program will offer Carnival gift cards.  The 10% savings has been a really good deal.

11 hours ago, Diggerof4 said:

Bumping my question. I read on another board that effective 8/1 they are going to have new point system. If this is true, wasn't sure if the points already accumulated will transfer to new system. Does anyone know this to be a fact?  Can't find anything on their web site. 

Once on the RfG website, scroll to the bottom where you see Community mentioned.  Click on that.  Scroll down to Technology and expand it.  Click on Rewards For Good, and you will be in the forum for the program.  You will find the answer to your question somewhere in there.

Well, if you can't start this Sweeps until 8/1, and the new Rewards system starts then and we'll lose our existing points, then we won't actually have any points to use for this Sweeps, right?  Other than logging in daily and getting the automatic entry and taking a bunch of quizzes again (if that's how they're going to do things going foward).

Guess I should use up some of my remaining points to apply to my October cruise.

The banner at the top of the Rewards for Good website has been changed to say we can redeem points "until mid-September." Before they just said September, so I guess we have a little better idea now. We can still only earn points up until July 25th, 11:59pm ET. So to enter into this Carnival sweepstakes, you'll only be able to use your current points when it starts, since the ability to earn them will end before this sweepstakes even starts. So if you still want Carnival gift cards before September, and also want to participate in this sweepstakes, use your points wisely, because we won't be able to earn more until mid to late September. According to their FAQ's, they will notify us no less than 30 days from the date we have to redeem all of our points before they're gone.

To answer Diggerof4's question, the points definitely do not carry over to the new program.

Ah, thanks.  I did just order another 4 x $100 cards (because I'm not home to sign for $500 cards).  That leaves me with just under 5,000 remaining points.  I think my best option is to buy more GCs rather than use them for a Sweeps drawing.  At least I'm guaranteed of getting something for my points if I do that!

My October cruise final payment is due in about a month, but I then have a Med/TA B2B for October 2020, which isn't cheap, so I can keep a couple back to help pay for that eventually.

4 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Ah, thanks.  I did just order another 4 x $100 cards (because I'm not home to sign for $500 cards).  That leaves me with just under 5,000 remaining points.  I think my best option is to buy more GCs rather than use them for a Sweeps drawing.  At least I'm guaranteed of getting something for my points if I do that!

My October cruise final payment is due in about a month, but I then have a Med/TA B2B for October 2020, which isn't cheap, so I can keep a couple back to help pay for that eventually.

You can still acquire more points in a day than you can apply toward this one Sweepstakes.  Even enough to carry on through the end of the Sweepstakes. 

40 minutes ago, cruzincat50 said:

And now the site is saying it starts 8/1 again.  This may be a clue as to why they are changing things up.  They have a hard time keeping things straight!😃

The banner I see still says mid-September. And when I click on it to their informational page, I don't see anything that says Sept. 1st. They even mention mid-Sept. again. Where are you seeing 8/1 exactly, on the Rewards for Good site somewhere?

Here's the banner I see...

rewards-for-good-sunset-announcement-v4.

2 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

The banner I see still says mid-September. And when I click on it to their informational page, I don't see anything that says Sept. 1st. They even mention mid-Sept. again. Where are you seeing 8/1 exactly, on the Rewards for Good site somewhere?

Here's the banner I see...

rewards-for-good-sunset-announcement-v4.

Note the thread is for the sweepstakes for the Carnival Gift Cards.  Look at upcoming sweepstakes on the Redeem points page.

10 minutes ago, cruzincat50 said:

Note the thread is for the sweepstakes for the Carnival Gift Cards.  Look at upcoming sweepstakes on the Redeem points page.

I'm aware of the topic of this thread. But it also diverged into discussion about the end of the current rewards program, which is what I thought you were talking about. For what it's worth, it shows the sweepstakes start 7/31 for me.

20 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

My understanding is that current points will not carry over to the new program.

You are correct. I received an email from AARP this morning stating exactly that, with the roll out of their new program. Uggghhh. Gotta start all over again, lol.

1 hour ago, cruises42 said:

How/where do you enter the sweepstakes?

When you login to your Rewards for Good account, click on the "Sweepstakes" tab at the top. Then click on one of the live sweepstakes that are currently running. There you'll be able to enter more "tickets."