Communicating onboard

Tinytinkmom

We are excited to be going on our first P&O Cruise this Saturday on Brittania.  I’ll be traveling with my husband, our 15 and 9 year old girls and my mum.  When we have sailed with Disney, Princess and Holland America, they all had apps that allowed you to text other passengers for free, making it easy to make/change plans and keep in contact.  It doesn’t appear that P&O offers anything like that, so do you have any tips for how you handle staying in contact?  I’ll be with my husband most of the time, and know we’ll need to check our 9 year old in and out of the kids’ area, so they won’t be a problem....  But I’m thinking the 15 year might have plans that change on a whim...  And my mum’s cabin is at the complete opposite end of the ship from ours.  Likely a silly question, but I’d appreciate any tips!

That's a very good point, and a very good question.

As far as I know, P&O don't offer any apps like the ones you mention, and I know of no other way to communicate apart from the obvious (and very expensive) ones of texting and emailing.  Costs will vary according to network providers.

You can buy internet packages from P&O, but these too are expensive.

These links might help:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/mobile_onboard

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/access_internet

Kind regards  -  Harry

Years ago people left written notes in the cabin regarding where people were going next etc. and letting people know of your plans is a good idea.  Each cabin also has a telephone in it complete with a voicemail facility.  In this way you can use a service phone, many of these about the ship and phone your own cabin.  If someone is there obviously they answer if not leave the message of where you are going.  I am not sure if they have a remote message pick up facility.  I should look what is possible with the system as soon as you board, find out your phone number and show your son examples of service phones he may use.

This is a free of charge no cost involved system but not that sophisticated.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Is it possible to say at XXX a time we will be at. I would just like to see you there at that time. Then they go off again . The 15 year old will probably be in the club for that age group a lot of the time.  

walky talkies are not allowed and dont work that well either, due to all the metal. 

8 minutes ago, alija1960 said:

How about a set of walkie talkies would these work on a cruise? I think the kids would think they were cool - secret agent and all that!!

Excellent suggestion - no reason at all why they wouldn't work, though range would probably be an issue, particularly inside, because of the various walls, partitions etc..

Seen many times when I have sailed with Princess people using walkie talkies and seems to be a common thing with Americans. How reliable they are is another matter and I suppose depends on the quality of the walkie talkie.

You can get problems with walkie talkies the first is the squelch.  This adjusts to how much signal the unit will accept too much and you get loads of noise most of which you do not want, too little and you miss desired signals. Nightmare in the theatre "where are you now Colin!"  Second problem you have to continuously listen 24/7 for messages some of which are not for you.  Any message you send is available to anyone listening in.  If you get the units to work effectively others may be on the same wavelength so you share the conversations which could be problematic.  e.g. Captain "heading for berth 35" Doris "where are you" shoreside "advise pilot change to 56" Arthur "In the theatre" Captain "new e.t.a. 25 minutes" Doris "How do I get there?" shoreside "watch out for traffic on the left" Arthur "turn left immediately you see the bar" Captain "Is that a sand bar?" and so on.

Regards John

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

http://jetsettingkids.com/2016/12/game-changing-po-app-cruising-families/

Found the article above which relates to P&O Australia. Might be worth families lobbying for the Uk fleet.

It really is time that P&O UK introduced an app like this, they're years behind other companies in adopting it.  I mention it on every questionnaire I submit.

• Like 1