Modernization of Breeze, Pride & Star

DCCruiser57

35 minutes ago, milepig said:

Well. They are so that ship has sailed (so to speak). So we’ll give them a chance. The triplets will still be smaller than the surf. 

You and I are on the same page milepig.  Windstar has had a 310 passenger sailing yacht for a very long time, so they know how 300 people conduct themselves.  This is not news.  We are looking forward to a more "modern" layout, with a lot more usable space on deck.

With more on deck dining space, more open space in front of Veranda/Candles (without lifeboats blocking our view), and the new BBQ area by the Star Bar; I expect we will feel like we gained a lot...and wonder how it ever worked before.  Spanish dining space on deck 6 looks like a great option.

We were at 206 passengers in July on the Star Legend in Alaska.  Even during sea days and while anchored on expedition days, we never felt crowed.  There were actually a few occasion when I wondered where everyone was.  The only crowed event was during the staff talent show, so I wonder what they will do to make the Lounge fit all takers for that event. (we never miss it!)

We are doing Panama and Costa Rica on the Legend (post stretch) in January 2021.  We will see then, if not before.  We talk with onboard staff a lot.  Everyone on staff seems to be please with all the new twists on the design and layout.  And I always work to get honest answers and we feel we did on this issue too.

3 hours ago, bplazo said:

We will not cruise with them again if they increase passenger capacity.  We did Star Clippers and they held only 100 passengers.

Star Clippers two smaller ships have 170 passenger capacity - more than the Wind Star & Wind Spirit. Royal Clipper is 227. They do have no single supplement specials on some of their cruises - the one I took had around 70 passengers - a lot of us taking advantage of the no solo supplement.

I like sailing on Wind Surf so expanding to 300 passengers doesn't make the ships too large for me. I like some of the improvements. Getting new, more efficient, faster engines is good and the fitness center can use the improvement.

My main concern is for cold weather cruises especially ones with scenic cruising. Will there be enough inside viewing space. The Yacht Club can already get crowded when it's cold & people want to watch the scenery from inside. Also inside Veranda seating. 

On 8/12/2019 at 12:19 PM, Strenz said:

We had rep on with us on the early January cruise I asked about a cruise going to Malta on the Surf in 2020. She said she did not know of any but would call Seattle and they said there was none and they were not going in 2020. I was heart broken because I could not go this year. Voila after the 60 day reservation deadline for my cruise, the cruise appeared. I reserved it but did not get the extra 5% off. Aggravated but I really want to go on this cruise and have for years and I wanted the sailing ship. Over the years typical of  Seattle wrong info. Happy we are going would have appreciated the extra 5% off because it is expensive.

Since the deposit is fully refundable & you can transfer the on-board reservation to another cruise, could you have booked something on board & then transferred it if the cruise you wanted was added to the schedule? 

Here's the answer to the 'poll' that dandee2 mentioned above:  in addition to the already-announced Cuadro 44 by Anthony Sasso restaurant on deck 6, there will be a new al fresco Star grill by Steven Raichlen on deck 8:

Windstar to Add Steven Raichlen Grill Restaurant to Refurbished Cruise Ships