jet-skis at Coco Cay?

OVERVIEW

Go full octane on an exhilarating tour around CocoCay and the Berry Islands as you drive your own Sea-Doo personal watercraft. You will enjoy a full speed guided tour through the Bahamian waters. Hop on and see various CocoCay sights including Great Stirrup Cay Lighthouse, Slaughter Harbor, Starfish Alley and the abandoned island community of Cistern Cay. ZHC2

• Wave Jet Tour Driver: Experience the exhilaration of driving your own personal watercraft during this 50-minute tour.
  • Beginners Welcome: No previous experience necessary, your guides will provide instruction and a safety briefing.
  • CocoCay Attractions: View the Great Stirrup Cay Lighthouse, Slaughter Harbor, Starfish Alley and Cistern Cay from your Sea-Doo craft.
  • THIS TOUR IS OPERATED BY A TOUR OPERATOR THAT HAS BEEN THIRD-PARTY VERIFIED TO AN INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SUSTAINABILITY STANDARD
Edited by Mark_UK

1 hour ago, Mark_UK said:

Yes. Looking at my upcoming trip there is an excursion for a jet ski tour. The description looks to be pretty much the same as the Labadee one in that it's a guided tour. 

Yes, follow the leader style, no stunts wild riding allowed

But the leader does NOT dally.  Pretty much full throttle.

They try to arrange the riders so the faster ones are near the front.  Each time you stop, you can say you are being held back by the person in front of you (if you are, of course), and they will move you up in the order.

I have done both islands and I preferred Coco Cay. The water was so clear there. There is also a longer more open "follow the leader" area, so it did not feel like you were following anyone. There is not a soul trying to sell you something while you are on break in the water, which was nice. The group before ours saw a shark, so thank goodness no one said anything until we came back in, LOL

I would do it again in Coco Cay, but will pass if it is Labadee. Still good, but the water and open area for Coco Cay can't be beat!

57 minutes ago, mom2two2 said:

Does anyone know if they have an unguided jet ski option?  Husband and son (17 at time of travel) want to just putter around

Nope, it's all follow the leader. 

12 hours ago, mom2two2 said:

Does anyone know if they have an unguided jet ski option?  Husband and son (17 at time of travel) want to just putter around

Nope.

I am sure they had some experiences with this, so they have only have the follow the leader.

They can just putter around at the back of the pack if they want to.

Question to someone who did the jet skis here:

To start---------------------

Having done the jet skis in Labadee about 6 times, I remember it starts out by a dock near  the ship and hugs the land.

Now, looking at Coco Cay, being an Island----do you ride the jet skis out to sea, or hug the island.

I mean my concern is rough sea water and such, which was really not the case at labadee, only once were we the last once out at noon, because the waters got to wavy.

So, is it more intense here?

Edited by Lionesss

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

Question to someone who did the jet skis here:

To start---------------------

Having done the jet skis in Labadee about 6 times, I remember it starts out by a dock near  the ship and hugs the land.

Now, looking at Coco Cay, being an Island----do you ride the jet skis out to sea, or hug the island.

I mean my concern is rough sea water and such, which was really not the case at labadee, only once were we the last once out at noon, because the waters got to wavy.

So, is it more intense here?

You ride around the islands, not out in the open sea.  It wasn't rough.

It's been a few years since we did the tour, but my review is here, if you're interested: http://susancrow.blogspot.com/2012/10/monarch-day-3-coco-cay.html

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SRF said:

They can just putter around at the back of the pack if they want to.

I don't know how much puttering they would be able to do.  The group has to stay together and get back at a certain time.  Someone puttering in the back would definitely hold everyone else up.  Agree that you are full throttle, especially at the end of the tour.

You get away from the island a bit.  And we have seen some rougher seas.  Not really rough.

Late time, we got caught out with some heavy rain.  So we rode extra to stay away from it. And then waiting some and got rained on.  Then ran some more out of the rain.  We got the extra long tour. 😄

As for puttering, we have had some in the back pretty much puttering.  It means the faster ones do have to wait a bit.  But it seems they take the same route.

1 hour ago, CruisinCrow said:

You ride around the islands, not out in the open sea.  It wasn't rough.

It's been a few years since we did the tour, but my review is here, if you're interested: http://susancrow.blogspot.com/2012/10/monarch-day-3-coco-cay.html

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Safe travels.

32 minutes ago, rgd1213 said:

Can you ride with a passenger?  Would love to go, but my wife would just like to ride in the back and hang on!

Yes, it's quite common for two to ride together.  They have vests for the driver to wear with handles for the passenger to hold onto.

As to other questions that have been asked, I've encountered rougher seas at Labadee more often than at CocoCay.  The route is usually in the shallower waters between the islands, depending upon the winds and state of the tide.  This is another reason why they don't allow people to go on their own, there are shoal areas that could be hazardous especially at low tide.  They do not want people hitting a shoal at 40 mph.  The guides know the safe routes.

49 minutes ago, rgd1213 said:

Can you ride with a passenger?  Would love to go, but my wife would just like to ride in the back and hang on!

Yes, you can.  Actually, my husband and I were the only ones in our group who rode individually.

12 minutes ago, CarpeCerevisi said:

As to other questions that have been asked, I've encountered rougher seas at Labadee more often than at CocoCay.  The route is usually in the shallower waters between the islands, depending upon the winds and state of the tide.  This is another reason why they don't allow people to go on their own, there are shoal areas that could be hazardous especially at low tide.  They do not want people hitting a shoal at 40 mph.  The guides know the safe routes.

This is true.  The water can get very shallow and it is so clear, it's hard to tell how shallow it is.  Our guides told us to always stay in their wake so we wouldn't get into a shallow area.

4 hours ago, SRF said:

You get away from the island a bit.  And we have seen some rougher seas.  Not really rough.

Late time, we got caught out with some heavy rain.  So we rode extra to stay away from it. And then waiting some and got rained on.  Then ran some more out of the rain.  We got the extra long tour. 😄

As for puttering, we have had some in the back pretty much puttering.  It means the faster ones do have to wait a bit.  But it seems they take the same route.

Owned an XP Sea Doo while back, rain hurts when riding at 60mph... Been yrs since did Royal PWC tour, back then they'd put experienced rider's at front with newbies at rear...

Had a great Jet Ski tour at Coco Cay.  Don't know if this is still the case, but first off, we went snorkeling in the lagoon.  Found a few tethered fish at the bottom of the lagoon.  Took those to the equipment shop, and was given a free Jet Ski excursion ticket, and a Para sailing ticket 😀

Gave away the Parasailing ticket, but when on the Jet Ski tour. 

Great clear water (star fish everywhere), and yes, it was follow the leader.  It was well worth the money I spent (had to purchase a ticket at a reduced rate for my bride as the passenger)

10 hours ago, rgd1213 said:

Yes, we ride double.

You have to book one driver and one passenger.  Yes, they charge for the passenger, and a good bit.

9 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Owned an XP Sea Doo while back, rain hurts when riding at 60mph... Been yrs since did Royal PWC tour, back then they'd put experienced rider's at front with newbies at rear...

The ask about experience and desire to ride fast.  I try to get us (double) in about position 3.  We ride full throttle.

The ones at Coco Cay read around 40 flat out.  And I have never been left behind.

9 hours ago, CarpeCerevisi said:

Yes, it's quite common for two to ride together.  They have vests for the driver to wear with handles for the passenger to hold onto.

Hmm, my experience is most ride single.  We and maybe one other wave runner will be double.