Consider Cruising Celebrity for the First Time, Need Some Help

danny8826

1 hour ago, keesar said:

We have not had a guest speaker on a 7 day cruise in many years.  

In terms of activities, you will find that Royal Caribbean tends to have more and there is a higher level of energy on the ship.  We loved the entertainment on the Royal Caribbean.  I think the food is a notch higher on Celebrity.

I agree with you on the Entertainment.  I can't comment on the food since I haven't been on their ship.

Zumba was $11 + 18% tip, since Canyon Ranch took over from Steiner.  I think you sign up in the Spa area and if you book several classes you may get a discount.  I used to really enjoy Zumba when it was free but I no longer go.

24 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

Zumba was $11 + 18% tip, since Canyon Ranch took over from Steiner.  I think you sign up in the Spa area and if you book several classes you may get a discount.  I used to really enjoy Zumba when it was free but I no longer go.

Thank you.

Some RCI ships has zumba for free.  We did this on the Serenade of the Seas 2 years ago.

We are D+ on RC and E+ on Celebrity so we know both lines well...

Whilst there are similarities between the two lines we find they have a very different feel...RC being busy and active and X being laid back and restful.

During the day the activities on Celebrity are more gentle too...’How to cook a perfect steak’ compared to belly flop competition for example...There is usually a dance activity for free where the members learn a routine but I am fairly sure that Zumba is an added cost. In the evening the Martini bar area is very lively, there is a silent disco which always looks full and entertainment in a range of venues every evening including a comedian, a show and live music in a range of venues. Obviously no ice shows or Aquatheatre shows.

On Celebrity you need to read your ‘Today’ as there are no announcements of events. 

Food generally on X is significantly better than on RC. The speciality restaurants are worth extra and deals can be found. Reflection in particular has a great choice of speciality restaurants.

Generally fewer children on board, again adding to a ‘calmer’ feel.

We cruised on Reflection last year and loved it! However, our evening dining was a main part of our ‘evening entertainment’ as was chilling and chatting with fellow cruisers in a range of bars, enjoying a bit of live music and simply sitting on our balcony star gazing...

If you want to go from activity to activity all the time Celebrity may not be the cruise line for you...It’s strengths are it’s quiet and calm ambience. I think the vast majority of X guests board the ship with iPads loaded with books, crosswords and Sudoku puzzles not looking to be kept busy all the time. There is nothing ‘boring’ about Celebrity and her guests or snobby they simply have boarded expecting and receiving a relaxing cruise.

The first X cruise we took we were concerned we may find it too quiet and we loved it! Whilst we still cruise  RC occasionally our first choice is Celebrity. Give it a go and see what you think....I would suggest if you are uncertain that you will have enough to do that you choose a cruise where you like, or think you will like, the ports so even if end of cruise you decide X isn’t for you you will have at least enjoyed something....

• Like 1

We have sailed Celebrity, Princess, NCL and Royal, depending on itinerary and price. I have to say, we find the lines to be different but try to appreciate the strengths of each. I don't think the strength of Celebrity is their activity programs ---- although activities are offered , there are fewer of them and they are less well attended than the other lines (my experience, anyway.) Celebrity is quieter and more sedate (not dead, mind you). The focus is more on relaxing, enjoying good conversation with your travel mates or other cruises, appreciating the good food and service and elegant ambiance. If a busy and varied activity schedule is important to you, you may well be disappointed with Celebrity.

I have to add, this is exactly why we love it!

10 hours ago, chemmo said:

We are D+ on RC and E+ on Celebrity so we know both lines well...

Whilst there are similarities between the two lines we find they have a very different feel...RC being busy and active and X being laid back and restful.

During the day the activities on Celebrity are more gentle too...’How to cook a perfect steak’ compared to belly flop competition for example...There is usually a dance activity for free where the members learn a routine but I am fairly sure that Zumba is an added cost. In the evening the Martini bar area is very lively, there is a silent disco which always looks full and entertainment in a range of venues every evening including a comedian, a show and live music in a range of venues. Obviously no ice shows or Aquatheatre shows.

On Celebrity you need to read your ‘Today’ as there are no announcements of events. 

Food generally on X is significantly better than on RC. The speciality restaurants are worth extra and deals can be found. Reflection in particular has a great choice of speciality restaurants.

Generally fewer children on board, again adding to a ‘calmer’ feel.

We cruised on Reflection last year and loved it! However, our evening dining was a main part of our ‘evening entertainment’ as was chilling and chatting with fellow cruisers in a range of bars, enjoying a bit of live music and simply sitting on our balcony star gazing...

If you want to go from activity to activity all the time Celebrity may not be the cruise line for you...It’s strengths are it’s quiet and calm ambience. I think the vast majority of X guests board the ship with iPads loaded with books, crosswords and Sudoku puzzles not looking to be kept busy all the time. There is nothing ‘boring’ about Celebrity and her guests or snobby they simply have boarded expecting and receiving a relaxing cruise.

The first X cruise we took we were concerned we may find it too quiet and we loved it! Whilst we still cruise  RC occasionally our first choice is Celebrity. Give it a go and see what you think....I would suggest if you are uncertain that you will have enough to do that you choose a cruise where you like, or think you will like, the ports so even if end of cruise you decide X isn’t for you you will have at least enjoyed something....

Thank you.

From what you describe, I don't think I will fit Celebrity at the moment (age wise).  

I still want to go from activity to activity.  It will bore me if I have to sit still.

I went on a Princess Cruise once and that the most boring cruise I have ever been on.  I definitely will not return.

I find a ship that has the same exact port on both RC and Celebrity. I will pay for a bit more to go with RC.  

Thank you though.

3 hours ago, cynbar said:

We have sailed Celebrity, Princess, NCL and Royal, depending on itinerary and price. I have to say, we find the lines to be different but try to appreciate the strengths of each. I don't think the strength of Celebrity is their activity programs ---- although activities are offered , there are fewer of them and they are less well attended than the other lines (my experience, anyway.) Celebrity is quieter and more sedate (not dead, mind you). The focus is more on relaxing, enjoying good conversation with your travel mates or other cruises, appreciating the good food and service and elegant ambiance. If a busy and varied activity schedule is important to you, you may well be disappointed with Celebrity.

I have to add, this is exactly why we love it!

Thank you.

18 hours ago, Michidoeme said:

The Zumba classes haven t been free anymore since a couple of years

There was free Zumba and dance lessons poolside on our Carribean cruise in April everyday. The yoga and pilates lessons held at the gym had a fee tough.

PS we are both in our late forties and pretty active and Celebrity is our Line of choice.

2 minutes ago, arielle71 said:

There was free Zumba and dance lessons poolside on our Carribean cruise in April everyday. The yoga and pilates lessons held at the gym had a fee tough.

PS we are both in our late forties and pretty active and Celebrity is our Line of choice.

2 minutes ago, arielle71 said:

Thank you.

1 hour ago, danny8826 said:

Thank you.

From what you describe, I don't think I will fit Celebrity at the moment (age wise).  

I still want to go from activity to activity.  It will bore me if I have to sit still.

I went on a Princess Cruise once and that the most boring cruise I have ever been on.  I definitely will not return.

I find a ship that has the same exact port on both RC and Celebrity. I will pay for a bit more to go with RC.  

Thank you though.

Danny,

I think all of us on this board want to try to blend ‘factual’ information with a more subjective description of the ‘vibe’ of the ship...I didn’t want to put you off but I do feel that the difference between the two lines is best summarised as one offering ‘action and adventure’ and the other offering ‘rest and relaxation’. 

Whatever you choose to do, sincere best wishes for a fantastic cruise on the cruise line of your choice.

• Like 1

Have cruised with RCCL and more often with X. Actually my upcoming cruise will be with RCCL because the friend that is going with me is an "activities nut." The next three cruises after that are all on X. I enjoy the more laid back but social atmosphere of X and have never had a bad meal on any of their ships but then again I'm not real fussy. I like the lay out of  ships and I could be perfectly content on a sea day to simply sit on my balcony and take in the beauty of the ocean.

Just take an X cruise and see what you think. My favorite X vessel is the Equinox. Happy cruising!

Edited by PROCRUISE

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

Danny,

I think all of us on this board want to try to blend ‘factual’ information with a more subjective description of the ‘vibe’ of the ship...I didn’t want to put you off but I do feel that the difference between the two lines is best summarised as one offering ‘action and adventure’ and the other offering ‘rest and relaxation’. 

Whatever you choose to do, sincere best wishes for a fantastic cruise on the cruise line of your choice.

Thank you.

I think you sum up best.  

Honestly, from reading all the responses, I am still not convince that X is right for me, but thank you for your honesty.

On 7/19/2019 at 4:56 PM, SFCAcruiser said:

I will echo the response you got from CYNSport. Celebrity is not a luxury cruise line, and if it was your travel agent that told you that, then it might be time to find a new agent. Commonly, Celebrity is considered to be roughly equivalent to Holland America and Princess as far as their prices and service levels.

A number of posters on this forum cruise back and forth between RCI and Celebrity for different reasons ; there are a lot of similarities. If you have any frequent cruise status on RCI, Celebrity will grant you the same level of status, as long as you request it from Celebrity (it is not automatic). 

I know that Celebrity provides Zumba classes ( I believe it is free, but not sure). 

We are 4 star with Holland America and Elite with Princess and I can state without a doubt that those 2 cruise lines have much better rates than Celebrity and RCCL, in fact you can find better deals on Celebrity than RCCL which most feel is inferior to Celebrity. Has anyone looked at the rates for RCCL this summer, they had inside cabins going for almost $1300.00 for some 7 day cruises, absolutely insane.

Edited by MISTER 67

10 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We are 4 star with Holland America and Elite with Princess and I can state without a doubt that those 2 cruise lines have much better rates than Celebrity and RCCL, in fact you can find better deals on Celebrity than RCCL which most feel is inferior to Celebrity. Has anyone looked at the rates for RCCL this summer, they had inside cabins going for almost $1300.00 for some 7 day cruises, absolutely insane.

Thank you, but no thanks to Holland and Princess (especially Princess never again in my entire life, not even if it's free).

3 hours ago, danny8826 said:

Thank you.

I think you sum up best.  

Honestly, from reading all the responses, I am still not convince that X is right for me, but thank you for your honesty.

Dear Danny: Just wanted to give you a shout out for responding so nicely to all who posted in response to your question. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise!

Danny, I also want to give you a shout out for thinking about what matters to you and asking these questions BEFORE booking your cruise. How often do we see threads on these boards from cruisers who complain loudly about something or other (such as fewer activities that Royal) that a little research in advance would have told them? But they seem to have no trouble finding Cruise Critic once the cruise is over. Always makes me shake my head............

22 hours ago, CYNSport said:

Dear Danny: Just wanted to give you a shout out for responding so nicely to all who posted in response to your question. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you.  I believe thanking someone when they respond.  It's just good karma.  That's why you ask me the question. right :)  

6 minutes ago, cynbar said:

Danny, I also want to give you a shout out for thinking about what matters to you and asking these questions BEFORE booking your cruise. How often do we see threads on these boards from cruisers who complain loudly about something or other (such as fewer activities that Royal) that a little research in advance would have told them? But they seem to have no trouble finding Cruise Critic once the cruise is over. Always makes me shake my head............

Thank you.  Personally, I don't believe in perfection.  If we are all perfect, there's no room for improvements.  Those people who complaint are usually never happy with their life or what they have.  I do do some research and ask questions when I needed help.  :)