Skagen - Amount of Currency Required

tring

I have found quite a bit of information on past threads re Skagen, but as it is our first port and it is a small place we do not not want to rely on finding an ATM for Danish currency, but we are trying to work out how much we will need to take with us.  Our next port is Fredericia, so we can use any left over when there.

We have downloaded an app to buy bus tickets, but what about entrance fees and any drinks or food bought whilst ashore?  Will we need cash to pay for all of these or will we be able to use card payments?  Also what about toilets - will we find these easily or will we need to buy a drink to access them?  I know Denmark is not a cheap country so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by tring

• 1 month later...

We were there early August.  In Skagen (which we were told is pronounced as we would pronounce Skane) we got the bus to Grenen and walked to the northern point and back and used cash for the bus, when the senior tickets cost 11 krone for a single journey.  A number of people had paid 50 Krone pp for day tickets just to do the same journey, so worth doing the homework, but you do need cash for the bus.

There was a kiosk in the car park at Grenen and card was usable to buy things there, though we paid cash for our coffees.  Toilets were free in that car park, but it was useful to have some local change for toilets in our next port.  We used card for drinks in town later and at a local supermarket, even though the payments were small.

A bit off topic, but it was a fair walk to the point from Grenen and there was plenty else to see/do near car park (and bus stop) there, so if good weather you could spend a very long time there.  Be prepared with suitable footwear to walk on soft sand though.  It is a lovely area and Skagen a very good cruise port.

Thank you again hallasm as you helped me on a number of points when doing the planing for our visit.

Edited by tring

Hallasm is right because Skåne is the southern province in Sweden so don't pronounce it that way. 🙂

The G is silent so you are not far off and now I'm not that good in english so excuse me if I'm using the wrong term

But you'll need to put pressure on the letter A.

So something like SkA(g)en. 

Hope it makes sense 🙂

Thanks for the schooling in  the pronunciation of Skagen - P&O seem to have it wrong then, but I suppose non of us would really be able to pronounce it like a local would.  Personally I prefer English with a slight Liverpool accent.  I often take issue with my husband form the south of England with his long A's making the word bath sound like barth.  🙂

3 hours ago, Danish viking said:

I also prefer English with a Liverpool accent, wonder why 🙂

Sorry you would not know the location of Wirral - I am a local (brought up in Liverpool).   Wirral is basically a suburb of Liverpool, being on the other side of the Mersey, but is also easily accessible to Chester.  I did not mean the harsh accents you often hear now though, just what I would call 'normal' and many people say I do not have a noticeable accent at all.