Looking for fruit on the buffet!

blueskadoo

Hi Everyone! We were just on the Sunshine for a 4 night cruise after a 5 year hiatus, and have been home about two weeks and have two more booked (with a third in the planning stages! 🤣) One thing I noticed while we were on board was that the buffet didn't have some of the fruits I had expected to see. Maybe I arrived there after they were gone, or I didn't know where to look but I couldn't find strawberries or pineapples. I saw the cantaloupe and honeydew, and then a bowl of what appeared to be mixed citrus, but after hearing how many tons of pineapple Carnival uses in a year every time I called, I thought I would see more cut up and for snacking. Did I miss it or is this no longer a buffet staple? Everything else was really tasty- my LO ate about 90% of her meals from there by choice. Just curious!

I've never seen strawberries. In the afternoon, I usually just see a bowl of mixed fruit, sometimes assorted melon slices too. I've seen pineapple before but maybe not every time. Apples, oranges, and bananas are available during breakfast. The tropical fruit plate in the MDR always has a lot of pineapple on it. They also use pineapple wedges on cocktail glasses. I think I remember even seeing drinks served in a pineapple at one point unless I am mistaking that for something on land. 

just back from Sensation.  They had honeydew, cantaloupe, pineapple, canned peaches, prunes.  I think they ran out of pineapple by the 4th day as I stopped seeing it.  Fresh apples and pears on the breakfast buffet.  The melons were out for breakfast, lunch and dinner/dessert.   Have to mention that the honeydew and cantaloupe were actually ripe.  Better than the last few ships I have been on.  yummy!

Edited by cthrn27
should be sensation not sunshine. sheesh! :0

Off the Horizon two weeks ago. I feel like they pretty much just had melon and bananas. Maybe watermelon at Blue Iguana. I was disappointed, as was I in the salad bar. When it’s really hot, and after eating so much heavy food, I was just wanting to put together a good salad. 

Just off the Pride.  Buffet had pears, apples, cantaloupe and honeydew.  I saw watermelon a few times.  The salad bar is eeeh.  Even at dinner, the vegetables were few.  I’ve been at home drinking green smoothies,  trying to detox, lol.  My daughter ordered the fruit plate for dessert in the dining room and it was beautiful with pineapple and watermelon. 

Fresh strawberries and cream are available during Tea Time ... yummy!  We've seen pineapples and coconuts cut up and on display during the chocolate extravaganza.  Cut melon (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew), orange, apples, bananas are the usual suspects on the buffet.

I almost always see fresh melons (honeydew, cantaloupe, watermelon), pineapple, bananas, apples, oranges and maybe a few pears. Oftentimes there is some canned fruit out as well. I pretty much never see fresh berries on any line or ship out on the buffet. My thoughts are that they are quite perishable and expensive compared to other fruit that is bought in bulk. I have ordered fruit plates many times and gotten a really nice selection of fruit that is not otherwise found on ships- berries, grapes, kiwis, etc