on Viking Jupiter now for British Isles cruise

moatenote

We are booked from Greenwich to Bergen on May 2, and we'd love to hear about the excursions you take, private, Viking, or on your own.  Also, our cruise has Ullapool, Kirkwall, and Edinburgh marked as tender ports, and we have never done tenders.  We're interested in hearing how it works in those ports, especially how it affects your excursion plans.  (Greenwich is a tender port too, but we're not concerned about that port.)  Thanks for any information you can share!

1 minute ago, frenchhorn said:

We are booked from Greenwich to Bergen on May 2, and we'd love to hear about the excursions you take, private, Viking, or on your own.  Also, our cruise has Ullapool, Kirkwall, and Edinburgh marked as tender ports, and we have never done tenders.  We're interested in hearing how it works in those ports, especially how it affects your excursion plans.  (Greenwich is a tender port too, but we're not concerned about that port.)  Thanks for any information you can share!

We are doing May 17 and would appreciate hearing the same things about the cruise.

1 hour ago, moatenote said:

Six of us are now on the British Isles cruise, Bergen to Greenwich, (July 14-28, in a PV2) if anyone has questions about the ship or cruise.

We’re contemplating the same direction on the May 3 itinerary (also on Jupiter), but are also considering the May 2 or May 17 itineraries in the opposite direction. @moatenote will you be staying in London after the cruise? If so, did you book the extension through Viking?

I’m also interested in your excursion and tendering experiences. Thanks 🙏 

5 hours ago, caskale said:

We chose to start in London just because it is easier to fly onto compared to Bergen.

planning on doing a mix of Viking tours and private tours.

I suppose it depends on the airports used and the airlines available. We just initiated a booking for the Bergen embarkation. Delta has a direct flight from PDX to AMS with a connecting flight (via KLM Cityhopper) to BGO. Our return flight will be a nonstop from LHR to PDX. We like getting back home without connecting flights.

We were disappointed Viking’s Oxford & Highclere Castle extension is not available after August of 2019. 

We chose to start in London just because it is easier to fly onto compared to Bergen.
planning on doing a mix of Viking tours and private tours.
We did the Midnight Sun cruise, also Bergen to London, and were glad we chose that direction.
We figured that by the end of the cruise we'd be ready to go home, and we were not wrong.
We decided to do London (and surrounding) pre-cruise, which enabled us to just get a RT ticket to London, flying home on disembarkation day.
We spent some time in London then flew to Oslo (many options, and not horribly expensive) spending time in both Oslo and Bergen plus the Norway in a Nutshell (with an overnight in Flåm) getting from Oslo to Bergen.
The sail-away from Bergen in the evening was special, as was sailing down the Thames in the evening and in through the Churchill Barrier around sunset.
Our cruise was mid- to end-of June, and weather was great.
My recollection was that Norway stayed quite cool and snowy into early June this year, so hopefully someone who did the British Isles cruise this year in early May can comment on their experiences with weather.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

I suppose it depends on the airports used and the airlines available. We just initiated a booking for the Bergen embarkation. Delta has a direct flight from PDX to AMS with a connecting flight (via KLM Cityhopper) to BGO. Our return flight will be a nonstop from LHR to PDX. We like getting back home without connecting flights.

We were disappointed Viking’s Oxford & Highclere Castle extension is not available after August of 2019. 

Spent some time in Oxford last fall while wife attended a class there,great place to visit.Even if for a day trip if you can. Just confirmed my private tour in Holyhead today.

25 minutes ago, caskale said:

Spent some time in Oxford last fall while wife attended a class there,great place to visit.Even if for a day trip if you can. Just confirmed my private tour in Holyhead today.

What do you plan to do in Holyhead?

On 7/21/2019 at 3:30 PM, frenchhorn said:

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply---been enjoying the cruise too much!

We are in Holyhead, Wales today.  So far we've had 2 tender ports-Edinburgh and Ullapool.  Edinburgh was a bit dicey as the weather was not cooperating---very windy and off-and-on rain.  One tender was having problems before being boarded, so that delayed our tour group for about 15 minutes.  Ullapool tendering went off without any problems---and this is what I remember of all other Viking tenders we've been on during previous cruises.  Viking's tenders are very big and comfortable inside; the crew is great in helping people on and off, and unless the seas are very rough, the whole process is quite smooth.

Our excursions:  In Bergen, we had previously done the included bus tour here, so instead we walked up the trail to the top of Mt. Floyen, stopping often to breathe and enjoy the views.  It was a bit strenuous for us 73-year-olds who are not in the best shape.  But there are very long lines to buy tickets to ride up the funicular, and long lines to actually get on it.  And the funicular goes through a tunnel for awhile after leaving the boarding area.   We rode it back down and there was no line, and the views were great.

Lerwick--did the optional "Ancient Civilizations of Shetlands" and we all thought it was fantastic--highly recommend it.  It was rainy and windy, but it was still very educational and interesting.

Highlands/Invergordon-did the included tour, "Inverness Scenic Drive".  Bus ride, about 45 minutes to Inverness.  Tour guide had such a strong accent that we  had trouble understanding him.  Got off the bus for about 1.5 hours of free time, and it was windy and rainy again.  Went in to a few shops and walked along the river.  The weather may have clouded our opinion, but this was not a tour I'd choose to do again.

Edinburgh--4 of us did the optional tour, "Holyrood Palace and Edinburgh Castle"  A wonderful guide  who made sure we knew where to meet, etc.  I always appreciate that extra care shown by some guides.  Did a bus ride through the city and she pointed out interesting landmarks.  First stop was Holyrodn Palace--tour includes audioguides from the palace--the guide helped us understand the programming in the guide, not very clear on its own.  Self-guided tour lasted about an hour--interesting palace.  Back to bus and on to the Royal Mile.  Of course it's rainy and windy once again, and the RM was very crowded.  Lunch was NOT included in the tour, but Lyn, our guide had suggestions for places/areas (we walked a few minutes to the free Museum and had a good lunch in the cafe there, which was not very busy).  Met up with guide and walked a few minutes uphill to Edinburgh Castle.  Enjoyed seeing the Crown Jewels (there's a separate entrance if you go to the left side of the castle and toward the back).  Great views of city and the surrounding area.  Back on the bus and saw some more interesting sights around the city.  We enjoyed this tour and recommend it.

Orkney/Kirkwall-we did a private tour here with Rosemary from Wild About Orkney.  It was definitely one of the best tours I've been on.  The 4 of us in a private car and Rosemary was a terrific guide who loves the area and especially the archaeological sites.  Skara Brae was amazing.  Also included were the Italian Chapel (great!), Scapa Flow, Churchill Barriers, Skaill House, Cliffs of Yesnaby, Ring of Brodgar, Ness of Brodgar (an active archaeological site), and Standing Stones of Stenness.  Finally a good weather day too!

Ullapool-we did the included tour, "Explore Picturesque Ullapool"--Very windy and intermittent rain.  A good guide, a lovely setting, but not much here really.

Belfast-we did an optional Viking tour, "Giants' Causeway".  Long bus ride through some lovely countryside.  Once again, the guide was very hard to understand.  Drove by the Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge---good photo op.    Once we reached the Visitors' Center at the Giant's Causeway area, we were given vouchers to enter the VC and ride the shuttle down to the shoreline and back (or you could walk there).   Lunch not included and the guide did not tell us that there's a cafe in the VC (never saw a sign inside the center advertising this).  The basalt/lava formations are very interesting and there are numerous paths all around.  Rainy and very windy once again.  All in all, my least favorite optional tour.  Should have just bought a few postcards instead.

Liverpool-did optional Viking tour, "Roman City of Chester".  About a 45-minute bus ride.  Interesting city with well-preserved Roman walls (not as awesome as the walls of Dubrovnik, tho).  Guide took us through the Chester Cathedral---very interesting and a huge place.  Interesting bus ride around parts of Liverpool; saw parts of Albert Dock area (and we walked back over there after tour was over).  Ship is in Liverpool from 8:00 am to 11:00 pm, so you can take a tour and still explore some areas on your own.  We enjoyed the optional tour.

That's it for today---more to come!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2019 at 4:38 PM, Hanoj said:

We’re contemplating the same direction on the May 3 itinerary (also on Jupiter), but are also considering the May 2 or May 17 itineraries in the opposite direction. @moatenote will you be staying in London after the cruise? If so, did you book the extension through Viking?

I’m also interested in your excursion and tendering experiences. Thanks 🙏 

We are not staying on in London after the cruise.  I forgot to add that on the tender boats, there are windows that you can look out while riding---helps those who may be a bit claustrophobic (and they are big inside)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moatenote said:

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply---been enjoying the cruise too much!

We are in Holyhead, Wales today.  So far we've had 2 tender ports-Edinburgh and Ullapool.  Edinburgh was a bit dicey as the weather was not cooperating---very windy and off-and-on rain.  One tender was having problems before being boarded, so that delayed our tour group for about 15 minutes.  Ullapool tendering went off without any problems---and this is what I remember of all other Viking tenders we've been on during previous cruises.  Viking's tenders are very big and comfortable inside; the crew is great in helping people on and off, and unless the seas are very rough, the whole process is quite smooth.

Our excursions:  In Bergen, we had previously done the included bus tour here, so instead we walked up the trail to the top of Mt. Floyen, stopping often to breathe and enjoy the views.  It was a bit strenuous for us 73-year-olds who are not in the best shape.  But there are very long lines to buy tickets to ride up the funicular, and long lines to actually get on it.  And the funicular goes through a tunnel for awhile after leaving the boarding area.   We rode it back down and there was no line, and the views were great.

Lerwick--did the optional "Ancient Civilizations of Shetlands" and we all thought it was fantastic--highly recommend it.  It was rainy and windy, but it was still very educational and interesting.

Highlands/Invergordon-did the included tour, "Inverness Scenic Drive".  Bus ride, about 45 minutes to Inverness.  Tour guide had such a strong accent that we  had trouble understanding him.  Got off the bus for about 1.5 hours of free time, and it was windy and rainy again.  Went in to a few shops and walked along the river.  The weather may have clouded our opinion, but this was not a tour I'd choose to do again.

Edinburgh--4 of us did the optional tour, "Holyrood Palace and Edinburgh Castle"  A wonderful guide  who made sure we knew where to meet, etc.  I always appreciate that extra care shown by some guides.  Did a bus ride through the city and she pointed out interesting landmarks.  First stop was Holyrodn Palace--tour includes audioguides from the palace--the guide helped us understand the programming in the guide, not very clear on its own.  Self-guided tour lasted about an hour--interesting palace.  Back to bus and on to the Royal Mile.  Of course it's rainy and windy once again, and the RM was very crowded.  Lunch was NOT included in the tour, but Lyn, our guide had suggestions for places/areas (we walked a few minutes to the free Museum and had a good lunch in the cafe there, which was not very busy).  Met up with guide and walked a few minutes uphill to Edinburgh Castle.  Enjoyed seeing the Crown Jewels (there's a separate entrance if you go to the left side of the castle and toward the back).  Great views of city and the surrounding area.  Back on the bus and saw some more interesting sights around the city.  We enjoyed this tour and recommend it.

Orkney/Kirkwall-we did a private tour here with Rosemary from Wild About Orkney.  It was definitely one of the best tours I've been on.  The 4 of us in a private car and Rosemary was a terrific guide who loves the area and especially the archaeological sites.  Skara Brae was amazing.  Also included were the Italian Chapel (great!), Scapa Flow, Churchill Barriers, Skaill House, Cliffs of Yesnaby, Ring of Brodgar, Ness of Brodgar (an active archaeological site), and Standing Stones of Stenness.  Finally a good weather day too!

Ullapool-we did the included tour, "Explore Picturesque Ullapool"--Very windy and intermittent rain.  A good guide, a lovely setting, but not much here really.

Belfast-we did an optional Viking tour, "Giants' Causeway".  Long bus ride through some lovely countryside.  Once again, the guide was very hard to understand.  Drove by the Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge---good photo op.    Once we reached the Visitors' Center at the Giant's Causeway area, we were given vouchers to enter the VC and ride the shuttle down to the shoreline and back (or you could walk there).   Lunch not included and the guide did not tell us that there's a cafe in the VC (never saw a sign inside the center advertising this).  The basalt/lava formations are very interesting and there are numerous paths all around.  Rainy and very windy once again.  All in all, my least favorite optional tour.  Should have just bought a few postcards instead.

Liverpool-did optional Viking tour, "Roman City of Chester".  About a 45-minute bus ride.  Interesting city with well-preserved Roman walls (not as awesome as the walls of Dubrovnik, tho).  Guide took us through the Chester Cathedral---very interesting and a huge place.  Interesting bus ride around parts of Liverpool; saw parts of Albert Dock area (and we walked back over there after tour was over).  Ship is in Liverpool from 8:00 am to 11:00 pm, so you can take a tour and still explore some areas on your own.  We enjoyed the optional tour.

That's it for today---more to come!!

Thank you for the great info

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frenchhorn said:

Wow!  This is all wonderful information.

Was the Edinburgh port Newhaven?  Thank you so much, and keep it coming!

Cruisemapper indicates it was Leith, but I was under the impression Leith is not usually a tender port.

Thanks so much for all the wonderful info, we will be boarding in Greenwich as you are leaving and we are very excited about this awesome port intensive cruise, 

we have been in Switzerland and are arriving in London tomorrow, heard the heat wave is coming again, and could be 103 degrees in London on Thursday!!! 

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and please keep sending your thoughts

judi

• Like 1

Hello - thank you for the great information!  I saw in a different thread that the menu in Manfredi's has been updated.  If you have a chance to snap a picture to share it would be greatly appreciated.  Happy travels!

On 7/25/2019 at 10:30 PM, sswansen said:

Hello - thank you for the great information!  I saw in a different thread that the menu in Manfredi's has been updated.  If you have a chance to snap a picture to share it would be greatly appreciated.  Happy travels!

We ate one time in Manfredi's on this cruise--food was very good, but there were 6 of us, and it took a long time to get our food.  I took a photo and will post it later.  Viking's new wifi policy will only let you have one device connected at a time.  And we read in the Daily that internet access will not be available today between 1:00 and 4:00 due to upgrades ordered by the home office.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moatenote said:

We ate one time in Manfredi's on this cruise--food was very good, but there were 6 of us, and it took a long time to get our food.  I took a photo and will post it later.  Viking's new wifi policy will only let you have one device connected at a time.  And we read in the Daily that internet access will not be available today between 1:00 and 4:00 due to upgrades ordered by the home office.

Please clarify new WiFi policy. Is that one device logged in at a time per person, or per stateroom? We concluded a cruise on the Star in June and we each were permitted one login (i.e., two per stateroom). The year before it was unlimited.

Please clarify new WiFi policy. Is that one device logged in at a time per person, or per stateroom? We concluded a cruise on the Star in June and we each were permitted one login (i.e., two per stateroom). The year before it was unlimited.
Yes, it's one per person.

10 minutes ago, just_dont said:

Is their a limit on the number of curling irons now that their allowed?😉

19 minutes ago, just_dont said:

This thread suggests one per person, which is the experience we had on the Star last month: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682810-new-rules-for-wifi/

Policy changes are wonderful. Now social media forums can light up like discussions about curling irons and gratuities! 😅

Edited by Hanoj
typo

I was SO excited when I saw the subject line as in 364 days we will be following in your footsteps. Thanks so much for being available to answer questions, because we have a boatload of them.  

We're flying into Oslo then doing the train to Bergen.  

Questions

1) Did you use Viking Air? If so, can you tell me what your options were?  We'll be booking October 4th. 

2) What has the weather been like. Sounds like quite a bit of rain.  Obviously rain gear needed, but how cool is it...sweaters, jackets? 

3) Giants Causeway...sounds like you did not enjoy that much.  My husband is a scientist and rock formations are definitely a must see wherever we go.  How long of an excursion was this and did you have to travel a ways to see it?  Also, am I correct that this is also where the Titanic Museum is?  Is it possible to do both of those in the time allotted?  Do you know how far the Titanic Museum is from where the ship is docked? 

Can't wait to hear more!!! 

• Like 1