Southwest

travelplus

I originally booked Southwest for $173 at a later flight time for our one way flight back from Tampa after our B2B cruise on Royal Caribbean  from Barcelona.  I found a better flight for $148 from TPA-SJC via DEN but then saw an even earlier flight via SAN that just opened up at the $148 and arrive SJC at 6:20 PM.

I love how you can change your flights with ease and get credits for any fare reductions. With two free bags and no change fees it sweetens the deal.  Compared to United $148 Basic Economy with the potential of middle seats and you pay for bags and their times had us arriving SJC later.

I always check in at T-24 on SW and it helps to have the two free bags plus personal item carryon. To avoid bad weather connecting in San Diego or Phoenix is good in November. 

I booked winter travel on SW to PHX and hawk the flights to see if there is a price drop to get a later return flight back home.

Overall SW beats Basic Economy anyday! With free drinks and you can bring on your own snacks its better than Spirit where you end up paying more for  luggage, seat assignments etc.

Yes, there are some nice things about Southwest and I fly them occasionally when it makes sense.  But there are also aspects where Southwest isn't so great, for me.  I travel internationally (long haul) a lot and can't use Southwest for that because they don't fly to Europe/Asia/Africa.  Thus it makes more sense to keep my miles (both earning/spending) within one airline program that meets all of my travel needs.  And with my preferred airline I can earn status that almost guarantees I can choose a bulkhead or exit row seat if I want it, I have the option (and often free upgrades to) first class, and I have airline lounges to use during layovers.  And with status, I get multiple, overweight free bags. 

There is no one airline that will always be best for everyone.  Always pros and cons and everyone has to determine what's most important to them. 

2 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Yes, there are some nice things about Southwest and I fly them occasionally when it makes sense.  But there are also aspects where Southwest isn't so great, for me.  I travel internationally (long haul) a lot and can't use Southwest for that because they don't fly to Europe/Asia/Africa.  Thus it makes more sense to keep my miles (both earning/spending) within one airline program that meets all of my travel needs.  And with my preferred airline I can earn status that almost guarantees I can choose a bulkhead or exit row seat if I want it, I have the option (and often free upgrades to) first class, and I have airline lounges to use during layovers.  And with status, I get multiple, overweight free bags. 

There is no one airline that will always be best for everyone.  Always pros and cons and everyone has to determine what's most important to them. 

Absolutely true. Southwest is by far the biggest airline at my home airport, but I rarely (relatively, rarely) fly them because the bulk of my travel is international longhaul. As I get older and business travel wears on me more and more, I am flying Southwest more because I just want to get there and get home (and they have, by far, the most nonstops out of my home airport), and I fly enough that I can have status on both Southwest and American. But the bulk of my travel is still American/OneWorld, with the associated perks of ExecPlat status.

WN is not the least expensive way to fly from my home airport for my destinations.   I was burned once by having a high B number (before online check-in and Early Birds and such) and thought it would be OK because there were only 32 people ahead of me - SURPRISE! - it was a continuing flight and most of the seats were already gone.  Ended up in a middle.  I get free bags on my favorite airline, so the WN free bag doesn't play for me.  And, WN won't get me to Europe...

On 7/24/2019 at 8:41 AM, Zach1213 said:

Absolutely true. Southwest is by far the biggest airline at my home airport, but I rarely (relatively, rarely) fly them because the bulk of my travel is international longhaul. As I get older and business travel wears on me more and more, I am flying Southwest more because I just want to get there and get home (and they have, by far, the most nonstops out of my home airport), and I fly enough that I can have status on both Southwest and American. But the bulk of my travel is still American/OneWorld, with the associated perks of ExecPlat status.

Before I retired traveled exclusively continental US and my employer didn't care about my points. Get in and get out at a good price was the concern. Tracked for 2 years percentage of my flights from KCI on each airline. It came out to almost exactly 40% on Southwest. At the time I believe 42% was the published number for departures for WN.