Norwegian Breakaway - Questions

wido78

I will be taking my 2nd cruise on an NCL ship, with the first being ~13 years ago on the Pride of America.  I have sailed numerous times on RCCL ships and am looking forward to trying something different.  I recently booked a "mini suite" on the Breakaway for June 2020 and was able to take advantage of the "Take All" promotion including 3 SPD and the drink package, etc.

After I quickly booked the cruise last night before the sale ended, I started looking into the ship some more including reviews etc.  One of the "themes" that I noticed in the more poor reviews was that guests were complaining about NCL "nickle and dimeing" their guests and the need to pay to see certain shows and that the pools are jam packed and if you want to access the "adult pool" you had to pay?

I certainly recognize that when someone takes the opportunity to write a bad review on a product their filter may be skewed, but these points were of interest to me.

So... CC, I am curious what is the actual experience that we can expect on the Breakaway?  What would trigger an upcharge onboard?

...and then on a more positive note, what is your favorite thing about the Breakaway and do you have any tips?  

Thanks in advance.

edit.  I just went to NCL's website and noticed that they "extended" the Free for All promotion.  So, I guess I fell for the marketing ploy.  🙂

Edited by wido78

8 hours ago, wido78 said:

I will be taking my 2nd cruise on an NCL ship, with the first being ~13 years ago on the Pride of America.  I have sailed numerous times on RCCL ships and am looking forward to trying something different.  I recently booked a "mini suite" on the Breakaway for June 2020 and was able to take advantage of the "Take All" promotion including 3 SPD and the drink package, etc.

After I quickly booked the cruise last night before the sale ended, I started looking into the ship some more including reviews etc.  One of the "themes" that I noticed in the more poor reviews was that guests were complaining about NCL "nickle and dimeing" their guests and the need to pay to see certain shows and that the pools are jam packed and if you want to access the "adult pool" you had to pay?

I certainly recognize that when someone takes the opportunity to write a bad review on a product their filter may be skewed, but these points were of interest to me.

So... CC, I am curious what is the actual experience that we can expect on the Breakaway?  What would trigger an upcharge onboard?

...and then on a more positive note, what is your favorite thing about the Breakaway and do you have any tips?  

Thanks in advance.

edit.  I just went to NCL's website and noticed that they "extended" the Free for All promotion.  So, I guess I fell for the marketing ploy.  🙂

Marketing plot as you call it is just a sales approach so yes, you did fall for it. Now, for an answer to your question and this is just my opinion: others will differ. According to our granddaughter who sales both NCL and RCI, RCi is awful about nickel and dining compared to NCL> Our travel agent says this in the number one complaint with all the mass marketed lines, so I am guessing if you didn't feel RCI was bad, you probably won't think NCL is bad. For us, we just watch out for any extra charges and rarely have much of a bill when we finish our cruise regardless of the line we choose.  There is little reason to spend more than one is comfortable spending. 

I've sailed the Breakaway twice, in 2016 to the Bahamas and in 2017 to Bermuda. There was NO FEE to access the "adult pool". There is a main pool for adults on the pool deck for all to use. There is an adults-only area called Spice H2O that is free, but there no pools, only hot tubs and a water feature/grotto (great for cooling off!). Perhaps the person was referring to Vibe, a private sundeck that costs about 200 for the week? There's no pool up there either - only hot tubs.
I'd take those reviews with a large grain of salt!

Edited by callalily
  • Like 2

We’ve sailed the Breakaway twice and just got off her sister ship the Getaway on Monday. We love both ships!  They try and up sell you at the spa but if you are firm they back off. We love the Waterfront area on both ships, which is deck 8. It’s a nice and quiet place to hang out during the day and has a decent nightlife at night with the outdoor bars. Spice H2O is a nice place for adults to hang out. The bar was a little slow but I knew that before I got on the boat last week and just waited. There are crowds but they aren’t unmanageable. Let me know if you have any questions. Have fun!!

Edited by Redsky5292
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

Marketing plot as you call it is just a sales approach so yes, you did fall for it. Now, for an answer to your question and this is just my opinion: others will differ. 

- HA!  Yep and here I thought I was so good about not getting "emotionally" tied to a sale.  Oh well...  The good news is no final payment so nothing at risk and I was able to combine this "sale" with my Caesars Total Rewards tier benefit and get what I believe to be a pretty solid deal.  ~3,700 for a mini-suite, inclusive of airfare, drinks, 3 specialty dinning and the excursion credits.  

Thanks for the other replies as well.  As suspected, doesn't sound like there is anything to worry about.

Edited by wido78
  • Like 2

Have also sailed Breakaway twice within the last 12 months.  I never felt nickel & dimed or encountered someone who was trying to pitch an upsell.  Not saying people don't come across this sort of thing because there a re a lot of passengers, each with their own experience.  What I have encountered in the way of marketing seems to happen on embarkation day when various outlets are trying to inform, and yes, sell their offerings.  For example, if you go into the spa area on day 1, you will encounter people trying to sell their services.  Outside Le Bistro a table is set up for people who want to buy a dining package or a drink package.  I think there is a difference between letting people know what is available for purchase and being nickel and dimed.  The same thing happens if I go to a mall and pass by the cart vendors that take up aisle space as you walk from shop to shop.  If I'm not interested, I just say "no thank you" and keep it moving.  

My favorite thing about Breakaway is probably the Waterfront.  We simply loved walking the entire deck and checking out the sights...and stopping for a cocktail along the way.  

Just remember, with 4000+ people on board, you'll get 4000+ opinions.  The only one that matters is your own.  I hope you have a fabulous cruise!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 3

You will have a good time on the Breakaway.  There is a differences between sales pitches and extra charges. There are things, beyond the sales pitches, that you need to be aware of.   Both lines are big on sales pitches.  NCL seems to have more upcharges and fine print than Royal.

The SDP is not all encompassing, several restaurants have added surcharges to the SDP.   Some restaurants may or may not limit you to one appetizer or side dish with your meal.  I did not encounter surcharges or appy limits on Royal.

There is a $15 limit on the beverage package.    There are a few popular mass market drinks, mainly martinis, that are $18.  You will pay the difference and associated gratituity.  Earlier this year, NCL tried raising prices on many common drinks above the $15 limit, but reversed course after a week or two because of a customer revolt.  Nothing raises customer ire more than removing a customer's favorite drink from the bar package.

A big plus for NCL is the fact that you can navigate the public corridors without them being blocked by the constant "yard sale" tables that Royal has out every day.

Things I have to pay extra for when I cruise:

We get the beverage package.  Sometimes in a US port (like on sail away day) there is a less than a dollar sales tax added to my onboard account when I get drinks.  Once we sail, that never happens again.

I convert my free minutes of internet to an unlimited internet package and pay the difference.  All of us share the same log in, but only one person can be logged in at a time.  It is slow internet, but it lets me do what I need to do and my kids can keep their streaks going.

I sometimes add an additional tip to the specialty dining bill.  I don't do this all the time because I have already paid an additional service charge for the plan, but if the server was outstanding (like the waiter in Cagneys who proposed to my octogenarian mother with a long steam rose) I add a little something something to the bill.

I don't get bottled water, but if you are used to getting free bottles of water with RCI's beverage package, you will need to pay for them on NCL.  Many people bring a reusable water bottle and fill it on board to avoid this.   I guess I just drink ice water in a glass or drink other beverages (cause I have the beverage package for a reason 😉 ) so I never pay for a bottle of water. 

I don't do a lot of NCL excursions, but if I do, I prepay them when I book them so they don't show up as a charge on my shipboard account.  The free shore-excursion credit does show up after the excursion, so that reduces my account balance.  If I did book an excursion on board that will show up on my account.

I prepay my daily service charges, so those don't show up on my account. If you don't you see  a line item per person per day for the service charge.

Other than that, everything is pretty much the same between RCI and NCL.   There are some activities (Martini tasting) that have a fee, but anything with a fee is noted in the daily schedule.  There are lots of activities that don't have fees, just like on RCI.

There are specialty bakery items that aren't included...I just don't get those because there is sssssssoooooooo much food on a cruise I don't need a fancy cupcake.  

If I put charging privileges on my kids cards, they could break me playing arcade games for a fee, getting sodas at bars and restaurants for a fee, etc.  I avoid that by not putting charging privileges on their cards.

I have never felt "nickel and dimed" and always felt like I got a ton of value for my money.

Hope this helps.

I’ve sailed NCL, RCCL, CCL, MSC, HAL and Celebrity.  

Generally speaking, they all have other “items and services” you can buy.  They all have required “tips and service” charges.

Just like all the rest, you can spend as much or as little on an NCL cruise as you’d like once on board.  There are a wealth of really good no extra charge dining venues.  Except for the show that also has dinner served, the entertainment is no charge.  

Spice H20 is the adult pool area with “no charge”.  Plus, there are a lot of themed parties that happen there, too.  There always seems to be some sort of game, entertainment or demonstration going on in the Atrium, too.

You can keep as busy or laid back as much as you want, without spending once extra nickel.

I honestly believe that, as much as I like Cruise Critic, the denigration of Royal Caribbean and her other associated brands are rarely tolerated.  But, the denigration of the other cruise lines are ignored.

Don’t get me wrong.  I like sailing Royal and look at the threads in that forum, too.  I am pretty aware of the bias afforded Royal vs the other cruise lines.  Not sure what the tie is, but it’s there.

Onto the “Away” ships.  I have sailed both and love both.  My favorite thing about both is the “WATERFRONT”.  That’s the outside part of the ship where there are couches, bars, and al fresco dining available.  All the while, you are sitting outside watching the water go by.  That’s a unique feature on the “Away” (and above) class ships.  I’ve been known to begin and end my day (and sometimes lounge mid-day) at the WATERFRONT.

To me, the entertainment on NCL overall is the best I’ve experienced at sea.  That’s high praise given some of the entertainment I’ve seen on Royal.

The ships are impeccably clean and the service is top notch, and if you find a glitch in anything, they bend over backwards to fix it for you.

Don’t hesitate to book an Away ship.

• Like 1

I booked the Breakaway in Nov, and, like you, have been a little nervous of all the negative reviews.  But then I try and remember that 4000+ people sail this ship every week so those with complaints are a small percentage.  I expect it to be a bit more crowded then I am used to on smaller ships (so I got an aft balcony to make up for it!!) but I am also pretty laid back and can make the best of most situations.  

As for the "nickle and diming" I read this on every cruise lines boards and in a ton of reviews no matter what ship or line.  I personally never understood it.  I have been on NCL, RCCL, and Carnival and have been approached for packages or pictures but I simply say no once and have never been harassed and even for those things, the amount of times I am asked are very infrequent.  Maybe I give off some sort of "don't ask me" vibe that others don't, but I have never felt the pressure others describe.  

• Like 1