Another upgrade question

TonyB17

For people who have stayed/been in an inside cabin and a balcony cabin, do you think it's worth it to upgrade for the extra room?  Is it even noticeable?  I've read from several reviews that being able to watch Glacier Bay and other sights from the balcony can be preferable to watching from the Observation Lounge.  I found the balcony to be more than worth it for Southern sailings, but I haven't had one in Alaska.  FWIW, I expect that we won't be spending a great deal of time in the cabin between the ports and shipboard activities.

Thank you.

Balconies are bigger, better, and nicer to relax in. That all comes with a price and only you can decide its worth. If the cost isn’t that much for you then get the balcony. If you’re more budget minded and not in the cabin much then an inside won’t kill you or you’re wallet. I find that one isn’t necessary for Alaska as best views are from on the top deck. 

Edited by tallnthensome

On our last Norwegian cruise, on the Bliss I went cheap and went for an inside cabin. Never again! It way too small. No place to sit except on the bed. Only one person could be moving around at a time.

58 minutes ago, TonyB17 said:

For people who have stayed/been in an inside cabin and a balcony cabin, do you think it's worth it to upgrade for the extra room?  Is it even noticeable?  I've read from several reviews that being able to watch Glacier Bay and other sights from the balcony can be preferable to watching from the Observation Lounge.  I found the balcony to be more than worth it for Southern sailings, but I haven't had one in Alaska.  FWIW, I expect that we won't be spending a great deal of time in the cabin between the ports and shipboard activities.

Thank you.

For an Alaskan cruise a balcony is almost a must have!

Just sailed Alaska on the JEWEL in May.  We had an inside cabin and with a price drop we managed a free upgrade to a porthole cabin.  I thought it was fine, we were in the Obersavation Lounge, but also we got window seats in Tsar's Palace dining room and in Azure.  ALSO O'SHeehan;s has window booths.  We really didn't feel nor did we miss having a balcony, I doubt we would have used it much anyways.   So NO, a balcony is NOT a must -- but its all about personal preference and the personal budget.

• Like 2

We usually book Insides but occasionally splurge on a balcony. For me, the balcony is not just about sitting on the balcony, but the view out the sliding doors and the visual space it provides. Balcony cabins are bigger. The natural light is delightful. Often times an Oceanview cabin is just a port hole. Even when it is a full window, the window is usually situated over the bed so its not something you can really sit and gaze out of. Also, on NCL the balcony cabins have a coffee maker in the room, which I so appreciate!

We normally sail insides, I would say out of our 13 cruises 4 of them we have had a balcony. We booked an inside room on our upcoming escape cruise. After booking I was nervous after looking at pictures and reviews. The breakaway class ships insides are much smaller then insides on other lines and storage is at a minimum. I snagged a spa balcony upgrade for $500. For me so much wasn't about the balcony this time but just how small the inside was on this class of ship. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/27/2019 at 10:17 AM, Envelope21 said:

We usually book Insides but occasionally splurge on a balcony. For me, the balcony is not just about sitting on the balcony, but the view out the sliding doors and the visual space it provides. Balcony cabins are bigger. The natural light is delightful. Often times an Oceanview cabin is just a port hole. Even when it is a full window, the window is usually situated over the bed so its not something you can really sit and gaze out of. Also, on NCL the balcony cabins have a coffee maker in the room, which I so appreciate!

I agree it’s not about sitting on the balcony that matters as much as the view & outdoor natural light a balcony provides.  I spend more time inside the room than on the balcony so the room size is more important to me.  But I could not cruise without a balcony!!!

Edited by Ozzieru1e
Added sentence

On 7/25/2019 at 4:23 PM, tallnthensome said:

Balconies are bigger, better, and nicer to relax in. That all comes with a price and only you can decide its worth. If the cost isn’t that much for you then get the balcony. If you’re more budget minded and not in the cabin much then an inside won’t kill you or you’re wallet. I find that one isn’t necessary for Alaska as best views are from on the top deck. 

Balcony....definitely worth it no matter where I’m cruising.  Size matters...I don’t want to fill like I’m living in a box 📦 or closet (even if it’s just for a week) stumbling over my roommate.  

We usually do 4 in a room now with our teen boys.  The past few cruises we have used a balcony to our advantage for the extra space.

When my hubby and I did Europe cruise on our own - we chose inside to save about 50%. A price drop moved us to ocean view which was more than enough.  When the boys were young we loved a cozy inside room. I honestly don’t spend a lot of time on our balcony - but it’s fun to be able to see outside if doesn’t break the bank