LIVE from the ZUIDERDAM - VOYAGE OF THE VIKINGS

sansterre

Today we enjoyed the Fjord cruise Bergen-Mostraumen which left from the midst of Bergen harbor.  Since it was a twenty minute walk, I had arranged for a taxi to pick Paul and us up at 9:00.  The taxi I ordered wasn't there, but there were several taxi's so the 3 of us rode to town for 150 NOK.  

We boarded the boat at 9:30 and took off at 9:45, earlier than I expected but as it turned out, there were three morning cruises and two more loaded after we left.  The boat was fast and comfortable and soon after leaving Bergen the scenery became more and more spectacular.  The mountain got higher and steeper and the homes fewer and farther between.

Uploading is slow so I will post more photos later.  But here is one of a waterfall - lovely, isn't it?

IMG_0783.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 5

In case anyone is interested in the fjord tour out of Bergen, this is the best photo I could get of our boat (look for the words "fjord cruise"). You would want to Google RODNE fjord tour in Bergen, or something similar.  The building with RODNE on the top is their ticket office.

The boat was very comfortable and at times taped narration was given in English.  Several times the boat would stop so you could go outside to take photos on the front deck where guides would give additional information. (I did that just once; most of my photos were taken through windows which were very clean, with only an occasional rain drop or two).  There is also an upper deck which many used until it began to rain.

IMG_0669.jpg

The ticket office for RODNE fjord cruise

IMG_0664.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 2:35 PM, sansterre said:

Thanks for joining us here.  My writing isn't near as good as yours so I do recommend everyone check our you blog as mentioned above.  Her photos and writing are high quality!

Thanks, but I think both your writing and photos are great!

Today we are sailing in the North Sea at a direction of 179.3 - almost directly south - at 17 knots toward Rotterdam. It is 61 degrees and raining, with a SE wind at 22mph but the seas are fairly calm.

Entertainment last night was Paul Adams, a very funny comedian.  His ad lib style had the audience laughing - even me, :-D.

Tonight The Runaround Kids perform the Music of the 50's and 60's.

I awoke with a sore throat last night so I'm taking it very easy today in the hopes that I can avoid a catching a cold.  We have plans to visit Kinderdjik in Rotterdam this is no time for getting sick.

There is a lecture on Cork today.  Since it is our first time in Cork I'd like to see that, but it will be on TV tomorrow so we could watch it there. 

This morning, I will rest, take my vitamins, read Tulipomania, post a few photos of around the ship, and hopefully feel better by trivia at 2!

• Like 2

The sail away at 5:00 yesterday.  We eat in the MDR at 5:15 so the photos have the blue cast of the window tinting, but the views were spectacular.  We saw at least three rainbows, as soon as one would fade out another one would appear!  I took photos of them all and one of them even caught a bird in flight!  For an hour and a half we were totally mesmerized by the rocky islands, many with beautiful homes (probably summer homes because we didn't see any roads or bridges), ships, and fish farms.  

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 2

Now off to Trivia.  Will go to the Art of Flower Arranging as I'm feeling a bit better.

Looking forward to a partly cloudy day tomorrow - chance of some scattered showers in the afternoon if weather report is correct.  

For those getting on board in Rotterdam, safe travels to Rotterdam and ........don't forget to attend the Meet and Greet on the 17th at 10:00 in BillBoard on Board.  See you then!

• Like 1

Here is a photo I took before dinner of another boat/ship about to cross behind us.

This is the southern part of the North Sea.

We are looking forward to a partly cloudy day with some scattered showers in the afternoon tomorrow in Rotterdam.  I do have a cold, but it isn't slowing me down.....yet.

IMG_0881.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1