Water temps in mid December?

zitsky

I've arrived in KW and gone snorkeling in mid-December for many years.  The water temperature is usually mid 70s.  That's too cold for some people and warm enough for others.  I can tell you that most people on the boat seem fine with staying in the water for the whole trip and don't complain about the water temperature.  Maybe they self-select and are a hearty bunch.  I tend to get cold after about a 1/2 hour and sometimes wear my wetsuit.  Air temperatures are typically mid to upper 70s that time of year, but there are sometimes "cold" spells.  Also, you never know about wind and visibility at the reef, but the boat ride is nice regardless.  

I suggest you wait and see what the weather is like.  December is often windy here and winds stir up the water and make visibility poor.  Snorkeling here is not good at all when the visibility is poor.  Pay attention to the wind forecast.  You want calm winds.  Anything over 10-15 mph will not offer a good experience.

3 hours ago, keywester33 said:

I suggest you wait and see what the weather is like.  December is often windy here and winds stir up the water and make visibility poor.  Snorkeling here is not good at all when the visibility is poor.  Pay attention to the wind forecast.  You want calm winds.  Anything over 10-15 mph will not offer a good experience.

I mentioned this to my partner and he still wants to give it a try.

Any suggestions for alternate activities either in the water or on land?

Plenty of things to do on land  in KW.  Walk Duval Street.  Go to the Southernmost Point buoy.  Butterfly Conservatory.  Ernest Hemingway House.  Old Time Trolley ride/tour around the island.  Turman's Little White House.  KW Lighthouse.  

But I agree that water conditions in December may not be the best.  That being said, snorkeling/diving in KW, depending on where you go, is just OK to begin with - nothing like Key Largo and Islamorada, though

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, jaga04 said:

Yes in KW.  You should ask for them when you check in, before you get on the boat.  Not sure in GC, but you're unlikely to need them.  

Ok thanks for that.  I will watch weather forecast to get an idea of the temperature. 

• 3 weeks later...

dd shivering on a dive boat in Grand Cayman .... March

sunset cold.jpg

it depends on your idea of cold .... we're from Florida ..... if the water in the pool is below 85 it is COLD.  I only dive in the Keys in December in a full wetsuit .... not a THICK one .... but a full one.

I have family from Minnesota who visit in March and jump in the pool as soon as they arrive.  Pool at 79 is warmer than any lake near home. 

Edited by Capt_BJ