RC for solo cruisers

Having never sailed with RC before I'm just wondering if anyone could help with information on what it's like for solo cruisers.

I'm looking at a cruise which would be on Anthem otS and I've never been a ship that size before, looks more like a mini city! Are there any meet-ups arranged for solos, especially on sea days. Although my biggest concern/query/anxiety is really over meals, how does it work on RC? Are you allocated a table and time for the entire cruise or are you seated at a different table each day and able to eat whenever? What's the dress code like as the "smartest" I get to is chinos and a plain shirt!

Also, I'm assuming but would like to double check, that room service has an additional cost?

Any help would be appreciated as holidaying alone can be quite daunting.

Edited by OTrail

For dinner, both options are available. Traditional dining you are assigned a time and a table and keep it for the full cruise. You can also choose My Time dining which allows you to make reservations or just show up anytime and you'll be seated at an available table.

As for room service, I believe there is a service charge per order of $7.95 for everything on the room service menu except continental breakfast.  The service charge is for the order, which means you pay it whether you order one item or 5 items.  Continental breakfast is free.

Edited by DanvilleCruiser

1 hour ago, OTrail said:

Having never sailed with RC before I'm just wondering if anyone could help with information on what it's like for solo cruisers.

I'm looking at a cruise which would be on Anthem otS and I've never been a ship that size before, looks more like a mini city! Are there any meet-ups arranged for solos, especially on sea days. Although my biggest concern/query/anxiety is really over meals, how does it work on RC? Are you allocated a table and time for the entire cruise or are you seated at a different table each day and able to eat whenever? What's the dress code like as the "smartest" I get to is chinos and a plain shirt!

Also, I'm assuming but would like to double check, that room service has an additional cost?

Any help would be appreciated as holidaying alone can be quite daunting.

Ovation of the Seas which is a similar ship had a few moderated single meetups the first full sea day then scheduled events that are "self" directed different times every day.

If you want to eat alone use MTD, otherwise traditional dining they will sit you with a group if you ask.

Roll call is the best place to meet others precruise. Also sign up for the meet and mingle.

Wear what you are comfortable in, its your vacation. Chinos and a plain shirt are fine.

Enjoy!

20 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Ovation of the Seas which is a similar ship had a few moderated single meetups the first full sea day then scheduled events that are "self" directed different times every day.

If you want to eat alone use MTD, otherwise traditional dining they will sit you with a group if you ask.

Roll call is the best place to meet others precruise. Also sign up for the meet and mingle.

Wear what you are comfortable in, its your vacation. Chinos and a plain shirt are fine.

Enjoy!

I prefer traditional dining and almost always have had a "good group" - if you don't get a good feeling on the first night either give it a day or ask for a change of table (which I have done twice).  Sign up for roll call  at which there is often a excursion group looking for another person .  RCI isn't very good about solo get togethers - late at night or odd ball times.

12 minutes ago, OTrail said:

Thanks for the quick replies folks, been really helpful and I'm pretty sure I'm 90% toward booking for next year!

All RC voyages have gatherings for solo travelers, which are printed in the daily Cruise Compass newsletter.  Anthem, thus, has them, too.

Cruising is probably the easiest way for someone to travel solo.  On a cruise, people are friendlier because you are all "stuck" in the same place for the same amount of time.  And there are always many solo people on the Anthem.  What month are you looking at, @OTrail?

I have done many cruises solo on RC.  I used to sign up for traditional dining but found that after the first night, many table mates didnt't show up.  Many times, I found myself at an empty table and left the dining room.  Now I get MTD and share a table or I go the Windjammer.  

8 minutes ago, OTrail said:

Hi Merion, I'm looking at going next August on the France/Spain 7 day trip. Takes in Bilbao, La Coruna, Vigo, and Paris.

Ah, I was theorizing that you are looking at the Anthem after she goes to Southampton.

I can't vouch for the kind of people  who sail  on the Anthem on your side of the pond.  On our side, there are many who sail solo and I find it a very friendly ship, as a solo myself.

IMO, you should definitely give it a try.  At worst, your vacation would be ordinary.  At best, you may have a splendid time and make many new friends.  🙂

Cruising is actually a pretty great way for solo travelers to vacation.  I've cruise solo a lot.  

Everyone is having a great time and it's easy to meet people and it's easy to just do your thing when you need or want to.  

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing certain land vacations solo, but then again now that I've done so many cruises solo maybe I could.  I used to travel for business often so I got over dining by myself a long time ago.  I wasn't going to eat fast food when I traveled for business so I overcame my hesitation and just dined by myself.  Now I do the same when I cruise.

Just don't plan on using a cruise as a dating or hookup experience.  Most people are married so I don't look at solo cruising as a means to find my next wife, just a way of having a great conversation and moving on.   

PS - double Crown and Anchor points for cruising solo in any cabin other than a studio cabin designed for one person.

• Like 1

Thanks again folks! I've done 3 cruises before all on Tui/Marella and they've all been great - I'm a bit on the younger side compared to others (27 when I did my first one) but I loved having dinner with different people every day and meeting new people and hearing new stories. For me cruising is a great way to see places I don't think I'd have the confidence of going to myself, the shore excursions make life so much easier.

Hi all, so I was looking at booking and saw the offer for $600 onboard spend and gratuities included but when I'm going through the booking process there's a bit to select whether to pay gratuities upfront and nothing about onboard spend, does that only show up after you've booked?

There were a handful of codes for cabins or didn't apply to (ZI, BX, YO, GTY) but I'm pretty sure none of them apply to the studio balcony.

38 minutes ago, OTrail said:

Hi all, so I was looking at booking and saw the offer for $600 onboard spend and gratuities included but when I'm going through the booking process there's a bit to select whether to pay gratuities upfront and nothing about onboard spend, does that only show up after you've booked?

Both the amount of OBC and free grats probably depends on the cabin category booked and it may not apply to solo cabins - the pricing detail page should show it. Also, the online booking engine may show things incorrectly and you may need to call to book it right.

Edited by Biker19

23 minutes ago, OTrail said:

There were a handful of codes for cabins or didn't apply to (ZI, BX, YO, GTY) but I'm pretty sure none of them apply to the studio balcony.

You may want to price a standard balcony with occupancy of 1, you might get the BOGO 50% off which may be close to the solo price.

On 7/29/2019 at 10:00 AM, AlanF65 said:

You may want to price a standard balcony with occupancy of 1, you might get the BOGO 50% off which may be close to the solo price.

Will they honor a BOGO promotion if it's just one person traveling? I've never traveled solo yet but hope to do so in the next year. But I assumed that particular promo would be invalid if you're booking for just one on the reservation. I'm not sure why.

1 hour ago, Cyn874 said:

Will they honor a BOGO promotion if it's just one person traveling? I've never traveled solo yet but hope to do so in the next year. But I assumed that particular promo would be invalid if you're booking for just one on the reservation. I'm not sure why.

Yes.  It is figured into the pricing.

• Like 1

Yeah I just contacted them and the promo for the onboard spend isn't available for the studio cabins for solos as they already have a BOGO offer on them.

So either a studio balcony cabin or a normal balcony cabin, but the price difference is £600-700 depending on the cruise I'm looking at anyway so that's where it balances out.

2 hours ago, OTrail said:

Yeah I just contacted them and the promo for the onboard spend isn't available for the studio cabins for solos as they already have a BOGO offer on them.

So either a studio balcony cabin or a normal balcony cabin, but the price difference is £600-700 depending on the cruise I'm looking at anyway so that's where it balances out.

Interesting,

When I was on Ovation in May a single from Australia paid the same withing $100 for a solo as I did for a regular balcony with BOGO (after we did currency conversion from AUD to USD).