NCL Newbie Speciality Dining .. Need Your Input!

F27TW

We are on the 9/1 sailing of Escape outta  NYC  .. our first time on Norwegian.    We have the 3 specialty restaurant package, so I'd love to hear your suggestions, experiences and advice on which ones to book.

Really looking fwd to it.   We're past RCCL cruisers and just needed a change !

Ocean Blue is good also if you like seafood. They have a surf and turf. Pinchos Tapas and Food Republic are both really good for small plates and lighter meals. Both are open for lunch also on sea days. I wouldn’t use a dining credit there rhough as the prices alacarte are not high. I would save the the dining credits for the more expensive restaurants. Just tell the waiter you want a bill instead of using a dining credit.  

We did all three of our meals at Le Bistro.  We have great Brazilian steakhouses and regular steak houses at home and do not care for Asian food, so we enjoyed three nights at Le Bistro. Had we had a seafood restaurant option on Epic, we might have chosen one night there.  It all goes with what kind of food you enjoy.  

I would go to Cagney's, Teppanyaki and Ocean Blue.  However, each one is special so, do you enjoy going to a steakhouse, a Japanese Hibachi and a Seafood restaurant?  There's also the Brazilian steak house where the gouchos bring out their skewers of meat for you to try. The le Bistro is very sedate and the atmosphere is nice for a quiet, romantic dinner for 2.  So much to choose from. 

IMO, they're all very good, the Japanese hibachi is fun, the chefs put on quite a show, the steaks in Cagneys have always been very good for me and Ocean Blue will be a nice change from the regular "meat & potatoes" meals. 

Hope you enjoy. 

The filet at La Cucina is amazing, even better than the one at Cagney’s! We haven’t tried Ocean Blue yet, but plan on doing so in December. The French onion soup and the Napoleon at Le Bistro were great, but the shrimp entree was bland. I wasn’t impressed with Moderno. Cagney’s was solid and we always eat there one night.

Totally depends on what your favorite type of special meal ..  If you are a steak or meat lover, then go to Cagney's.

If you enjoy asian food, go for Teppanyaki. If you want to try French food, go to LeBistro.  Italian Food is La Cucina. 

All these also offer some cross-over items  like Filet at La Cucina.

As you can tell from responses,  some are always mentioned in top three.

Your final choice will be yours alone. Bon Appetit!!

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 12:47 PM, F27TW said:

We are on the 9/1 sailing of Escape outta  NYC  .. our first time on Norwegian.    We have the 3 specialty restaurant package, so I'd love to hear your suggestions, experiences and advice on which ones to book.

Really looking fwd to it.   We're past RCCL cruisers and just needed a change !

You can get both good and bad at any of the restaurants. We have had both at LeBistro and Teppanyaki. So, just go with whichever one gives you the type of food you like and in most cases you will not be dissatisfied.

My husband and I like Cagney's and Le Bistro (we did Cagney's twice last trip).  My husband loves the lamb chops at Cagney's. This upcoming trip we are adding Bayamo (love seafood) and want to do a dinner at Moderno (with individuals who are travelling with platinum vouchers).

On our recent Escape to Bermuda, 7/15,  we ate at Cagney's, Moderno and La Cucina.  All of our meals were delicious.  I liked Moderno's salad bar because of all the choices it had (sushi, greens, cheeses, meats, soup).  The variety of choices at each restaurant fit our groups different food likes.  None of us had any problem finding something we liked. All the desserts were delicious as well.  Enjoy your cruise!

We enjoy Cagney's, Ocean Blue, La Bistro most.  Followed closely by Teppanyaki (hint after the chef prepares all meals if you are still hungry quietly mention to him that you could eat another serving of whatever it is you had for your entree, he will cook more for you)...  La Cucina was adequate and Moderno was less than satisfactory EXCEPT for that amazing pineapple.  The Brazilian Steak house at home is far better than Moderno.  The meats we all dramatically over cooked even when requesting rare of medium rare cuts AND they were terribly fatty.