How secure is Voom

3 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

Last time I was on RCCL, I had to disable my VPN to connect to VOOM.  Is that not the case now?  🍷

Hard to say without knowing the details of your VPN, but I would expect the behavior to be the same.

13 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

Nope, not talking about a proxy server. You keep missing the fact that RCL is optimizing their network for streaming from large providers like Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix. Packets from those server IP ranges get priority. Your company's IP address for its VPN server doesn't. Your Slingbox streaming low bandwidth video from your home doesn't work. A Teamviewer connection doesn't work even though it's practically a series of still images. Don't obsess over the ports or encryption. VOOM is not going to treat your packets the same as the ones coming from the major services.

OP was concerned about security, and the VPN recommendations were appropriate. Although some VPNs won't work, SSL VPNs will, and they are a good option if available to you. You brought up traffic shaping, which wasn't relevant to the OP's question.

2 minutes ago, Aduntu said:

OP was concerned about security, and the VPN recommendations were appropriate. Although some VPNs won't work, SSL VPNs will, and they are a good option if available to you. You brought up traffic shaping, which wasn't relevant to the OP's question.

It's relevant when they start wondering why it doesn't work after the first six replies all imply unequivocally that it will when RCL themselves say that they are not supported.

Well, so, I am the OP, all this is over my RN head, off the boat , as we are also going to Disney, I will use my work cell WiFi hot spot, on the boat, maybe I will not check anything, or should I be okay go look at my email if the site is https.but def no personal banking..... My clients will def. survive without me , and I have a great back up Team, we are a great work family... it is just my own over the top controlling problem  I need to be sure all is well, after all it is only 4 days, you would not  believe my insanity on a  7 day cruise ,lol. Thank you to all for the data

4 minutes ago, nadinenurse1 said:

Well, so, I am the OP, all this is over my RN head, off the boat , as we are also going to Disney, I will use my work cell WiFi hot spot, on the boat, maybe I will not check anything, or should I be okay go look at my email if the site is https.but def no personal banking..... My clients will def. survive without me , and I have a great back up Team, we are a great work family... it is just my own over the top controlling problem  I need to be sure all is well, after all it is only 4 days, you would not  believe my insanity on a  7 day cruise ,lol. Thank you to all for the data

Don't worry, you'll be fine to check your email. Always a good reminder to make sure any site you're visiting over public internet is using HTTPS, especially if any of the information is potentially sensitive.

Edited by Aduntu

4 minutes ago, nadinenurse1 said:

Remember, shoreside WiFi may also be a possibility.

5 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

guarantee

Then RCL should provide a list of ones that do. According to the staff on the ship, it's unsupported. Until RCL can guarantee that a particular VPN solution works, you cannot suggest using it.

They are definitely doing QOS or some other kind of packet priority. Streaming from one of the major services like Hulu or Netflix works well. Try to stream video at a lower bandwidth from a private IP address and it won't work. The only way a VPN is going to work for sure is if RCL officially supports it. Otherwise, you're going to have to rely on https. There aren't many major services that don't support https, so I'm not sure why a VPN is a must.

If you are using an email client like Outlook vs webmail, https is not relevant.   No URL is used without going into your Outlook setting which is not easy for many people.

Edited by Mythbuster

Very interesting discussion.

Personally as D+ we have never used the internet services on board even though we have a free allowance.

I use my own phone internet data allowance from my service provider EE when I can get a signal from the country we are visiting and only post on CC and my wife emails family and friends or we use WhatsApp.

4 hours ago, Mythbuster said:

If you are using an email client like Outlook vs webmail, https is not relevant.   No URL is used without going into your Outlook setting which is not easy for many people.

If your email server admin was dumb enough to allow unencrypted connections in 2019, it's not your fault. There's nothing to change because you shouldn't have a choice. If you're using Outlook with a 3rd party service, ship or not, you should be using SSL.

036c4924-1cfa-485d-9de8-f72d5004d283.png

9 hours ago, nadinenurse1 said:

While on the ship, I was told you couldn't use your cell phone's wifi hot spot to connect to your laptop.  🍷

1 minute ago, Wine-O said:

While on the ship, I was told you couldn't use your cell phone's wifi hot spot to connect to your laptop.  🍷

Most cell phones require a cellular data connection to act as a WiFi hotspot.

29 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

You can't, but here's something you could do...

Connect your phone to your laptop using a USB cable and enable USB tethering on your phone. Now your phone and laptop are connected to the Internet. Of course, the performance won't be as good as if each device had it's own dedicated connection.

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Or, connect the laptop and then turn on WiFI sharing on the laptop (available on Win 10 laptops).

Yes, if you tether your phone to the laptop by a means OTHER than WiFi (like USB or Bluetooth), you can then create your own private hotspot with the laptop's WiFi. Don't get too excited about your new "free" Internet hotspot since it's still shared bandwidth.

21 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

Yes, if you tether your phone to the laptop by a means OTHER than WiFi (like USB or Bluetooth), you can then create your own private hotspot with the laptop's WiFi. 

You can use the laptop to create a WiFi hot spot and then connect the phone to it, via WiFi.

17 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You can use the laptop to create a WiFi hot spot and then connect the phone to it, via WiFi.

Can you please provide the steps to connect to a WiFi router while simultaneously creating a WiFi hotspot using a laptop with a single WiFi adapter? Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Very interesting discussion.

Personally as D+ we have never used the internet services on board even though we have a free allowance.

I use my own phone internet data allowance from my service provider EE when I can get a signal from the country we are visiting and only post on CC and my wife emails family and friends or we use WhatsApp.

Yep different needs for different people,  some of us are running businesses or have jobs that require constant contact.  Our only choices are to stay connected or stay home.  I try not to work for a week and I certainly need the break.  For me it is peace of mind knowing that everything is ok and no disasters are going to be waiting for me.  I try to only check emails twice a day.  Another reason I use it is get notifications from my security system and cameras, again peace of mind.  (Yes, I know I sound really paranoid).  I also charge the WiFi cost off as a business expense.

12 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

"...your PC can take its internet connection (be it an ethernet connection or hookup through a cellular adapter) and share it with other wireless devices — essentially acting as a wireless hotspot."

That's not what I asked for.

EDIT: BTW, this is now built into newer versions of Windows 10. It doesn't require all those steps.

Edited by Sizzlechest

3 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

EDIT: BTW, this is now built into newer versions of Windows 10. It doesn't require all those steps.

You answered your own question, the functionaliy is built in to Windows 10.