Woodwind Snorkeling for Non-Swimmer??

Tall22

When I booked a Woodwind snorkeling tour for my husband, Ulf asked why I wasn't signing up for myself. I explained that I cannot swim. Ulf assured me that knowing how to swim would not be required, that I could safely snorkel with their help. Are there any non-swimmers out there that have gone snorkeling with Woodwind? What was your experience? Those of you who are experienced snorkelers - What are your opinions? Should I give it a try or shy away from it?

3 hours ago, Tall22 said:

When I booked a Woodwind snorkeling tour for my husband, Ulf asked why I wasn't signing up for myself. I explained that I cannot swim. Ulf assured me that knowing how to swim would not be required, that I could safely snorkel with their help. Are there any non-swimmers out there that have gone snorkeling with Woodwind? What was your experience? Those of you who are experienced snorkelers - What are your opinions? Should I give it a try or shy away from it?

As a strong swimmer it is hard to have an opinion, but at minimum I feel you would have to be comfortable in the water and obviously be ok with putting your head/face under.  Remember you are in an area where you can’t just stand up like in a pool, it is deep. They did have pool noodles (they may have also had vests) which you could kind of float around on kicking with your fins to follow the group. The guides we very helpful and did take people in groups based on their skill level.  Only you can decide if you feel like you can handle this, but it is an amazing place to snorkel and I would highly recommend Woodwind!

One of our stops was quite rough and strong current and even as a strong swimmer and experience snorkeler, I wouldn’t say it was an easy snorkel, but the crew is there to help everyone.

Edited by trophy_23

I am a poor swimmer but have gone snorkeling many times.  I can do enough to use my arms to move around and kick.  One thing that I use that is very helpful is a snorkel vest. You put it over your head and blow it up.  It inflates around your body not your neck so it helps to keep your body in the water.   The snorkel vest is different from a life jacket which is around your neck and meant to keep your head out of the water. 

We are booked with Woodwind in December

Thanks to each of you for your input. I have tried snorkeling before with limited success. Actually I should say no real success. Each  time I was on my own, others were nearby but no one to give guidance or help. In Hawaii it was so rough I was afraid to let go of the guide rope attached to the boat. One of the things that concerns me with Woodwind is the drifting aspect.  I want to see the fishes and the turtles! But...The more I think about it maybe I should just tour the island and take pictures! I have had more success with that!🤔

On our last visit with Woodwind, I wasn't feeling too well, and Dee gave me a sort of buoy to hang on to (in addition to the flotation vest), and she actually towed me through the water. Dee and Ulf want to give you the best experience possible, and they will do their best to make sure you enjoy your excursion with them. I would feel very comfortable doing the drift snorkel with them if I weren't a good swimmer, though I would make sure to express my concerns up front while booking so they are prepared to offer assistance.

On 8/3/2019 at 12:34 PM, Tall22 said:

Thanks to each of you for your input. I have tried snorkeling before with limited success. Actually I should say no real success. Each  time I was on my own, others were nearby but no one to give guidance or help. In Hawaii it was so rough I was afraid to let go of the guide rope attached to the boat. One of the things that concerns me with Woodwind is the drifting aspect.  I want to see the fishes and the turtles! But...The more I think about it maybe I should just tour the island and take pictures! I have had more success with that!🤔

I wouldn’t be too concerned about the drifting, it is actually nice they drop you in a spot and you drift along and they pick you up at the other end. I think if you are going to try snorkelling from a boat this is the place to do it.

The decision is yours and what you're comfortable with. We just snorkeled with Woodwind & her crew last week and it was wonderful. We're strong swimmers. However, it is a drift snorkel in deep water, which at times can be a bit choppy. Dee and her crew are very helpful with those who are not strong swimmers or novice snorkelers. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Edited by Racer70

On 8/6/2019 at 11:53 PM, Racer70 said:

The decision is yours and what you're comfortable with. We just snorkeled with Woodwind & her crew last week and it was wonderful. We're strong swimmers. However, it is a drift snorkel in deep water, which at times can be a bit choppy. Dee and her crew are very helpful with those who are not strong swimmers or novice snorkelers. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Thank you.

I would like to know how you contacted them. I sent an email as their rsvp system was down. I have yet to hear back from them. My cruise is in Jan. Possibly they wait until cruise is closer? I have heard so many positives that I do not want to miss my opportunity. 

When we snorkeled with them, we were in the water for a fairly long time during the drift to the pickup spot. I don't believe the boat was close by some of the time and thus it is not real easy to get back on board at all times. It was one of the more physical snorkels(in terms of the time in the water and the movement required) that we have done on all of the islands. I would definitely recommend beach snorkels first until you are more comfortable with snorkeling.

26 minutes ago, Dbld777 said:

When we snorkeled with them, we were in the water for a fairly long time during the drift to the pickup spot. I don't believe the boat was close by some of the time and thus it is not real easy to get back on board at all times. It was one of the more physical snorkels(in terms of the time in the water and the movement required) that we have done on all of the islands. I would definitely recommend beach snorkels first until you are more comfortable with snorkeling.

Thank you so much! You addressed my main concern - that of being able to return to the boat when needed. That plus the fact that I do not have much physical endurance is enough to now know that I should skip this excursion and go take photos!

7 hours ago, BLAMBKY said:

I would like to know how you contacted them. I sent an email as their rsvp system was down. I have yet to hear back from them. My cruise is in Jan. Possibly they wait until cruise is closer? I have heard so many positives that I do not want to miss my opportunity. 

I contacted Woodwind by email and received a fairly quick response. I contacted them in mid-July for an Oct. reservation for my husband. You could try email again or try calling. The number listed on their web site is +(599) 786-7055. Good luck! Their great reviews and that they say snorkeling in Bonaire is the best is what made me consider it.  

On 8/2/2019 at 9:58 PM, Tall22 said:

Book it with no hesitation whatsoever.

I've posted this previously so apologies for the repeat - my 5 year old did the excursion and loved every single second of it. 

Please, please do yourself a favor and DO NOT miss out on this trip. They will provide pool noodles if you need, and the crew is VERY attentive to the ability level of who is in the water.

There are two drop off spots. The first was calm and very managable. The second did have some waves. If you wanted to stay on the catamaran at the second spot they would have no issues with that.

Edited by NateUpNorth

3 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

Book it with no hesitation whatsoever.

I've posted this previously so apologies for the repeat - my 5 year old did the excursion and loved every single second of it. 

Please, please do yourself a favor and DO NOT miss out on this trip. They will provide pool noodles if you need, and the crew is VERY attentive to the ability level of who is in the water.

There are two drop off spots. The first was calm and very manageable. The second did have some waves. If you wanted to stay on the catamaran at the second spot they would have no issues with that.

Boy, NateUpNorth,

You are making my decision making process even harder!! I had already decided to forego this excursion and now  am once again tempted. Am I going to let a five year old show me up?!? 😲 Would it impact your opinion to know that I am 73 and have CAD? (Boy, do I hate to admit both of those facts!)

21 minutes ago, Tall22 said:

Boy, NateUpNorth,

You are making my decision making process even harder!! I had already decided to forego this excursion and now  am once again tempted. Am I going to let a five year old show me up?!? 😲 Would it impact your opinion to know that I am 73 and have CAD? (Boy, do I hate to admit both of those facts!)

I think it would depend on your comfort level then. :)

I will say the ride on the Catamaran, (and lunch if you do the morning excursion) is a relaxing way to see some beautiful scenery, but all things being equal, you're on vacation, it'll be fantastic snorkel or no snorkel!!