Some Firsts for long time cruisers

RumpunchGirl

DH and I just paid off our October cruise! We've been cruising since 1998, but it's been about 2 1/2 years since we last sailed. This will be the first time having the Cheers program and trying Your Time Dining.  I'm so excited even though it's only a 3 day cruise. Only 68 days til our next adventure!☺️

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to trying it. We decided to try Cheers this time also since it is just 3 days and we paid for it using Carnival gift cards we purchased at 10% off through AARP. If we decide it's not worth the money, we will go back to buying beer and liquor for our room.😉

When we first started cruising on Carnival we always used YTD. Around our 5th or 6th cruise on Carnival, YTD was waitlisted so we ended up with early dining. We enjoyed it so much, to include meeting a great couple at our table, having the same table every night, having the same wait staff every night, drinks being at the table every night when we sat down after the first night, etc. that we have only done early dining on every cruise since, with cruise number 30 now less than a week away. 

• Like 1

DV and I have had early dining for all 6 of our previous cruises. For our upcoming Pride cruise, we may have to do YTD. My SIL and BIL just decided on Friday to go with us. According to our TA, they are confirmed for late dining and waitlisted to be blended and seated with us early. If that doesn't work, I'll have the TA switch all of us to YTD.

We love Cheers.If you drink 6-7 drinks a day, it's worth it, especially since we also get a specialty coffee every morning, I get two sparkling waters at least daily and DH gets a few milkshakes and some sodas.

I love the Cheers program. At first I was leery of being able to go all out each and every day of a cruise AND if my wife would drink enough to make it worth its while, but it usually works out well for us.   Really like the fact Carnival includes coffees, sparkling water, energy drinks (ive quit those cold turkey) etc in program....other cruise line do not. 

I've found it interesting that as I age i find myself preferring casual dinners at the buffet or dress up dinners at the specialty restaurants instead of the MDR...and i REALLY wish Fieri's was open for dinner, i love cruiseburgers.

With well over a year at sea, we look forward to trying new "firsts", like a different cruise line, a new ship we haven't been on or a non-traditional itinerary like Norway, or cruising around Cape Horn.  Greenland, Iceland and the Galapagos are on our bucket list.

Still enjoy an eastern, western, or southern Caribbean, preferably of a longer length like 10 to 15 days, but we are now back to enjoying island land vacations again.

I hope the OP will keep trying new ways to make cruising exciting and fun!

Edited by evandbob

Your time dining is really nice as you can eat when you feel like it not at a set time. If you find you like your wait staff you can ask to be sat in their section each night.  We more often than not have the same wait staff every night because they are usually so great.   They remember you and your choices for beverages just like the set dining time staff do. We have found they are actually the best waiters and love it when you tell them you asked to be sat in their section again. 

We've never had Cheers since I am not much of a drinker but my kids have had it and love it. 

Cheers on a 3 day, would be interesting to try.  Because of location, we usually fly in for cruises, so a 3 day would not be worthwhile.  We usually do 7+ day cruises, & for us $100+ per day for both of us is too much.  Our bar bill has never been that high, even including soft drinks & specialty coffee.  

We love YTD for the flexibility.  Late port days, eat a later dinner.  Sea days & normal port days, have dinner when we wish.  Like someone else said, the tables for 2 are quite close together, so we end up chatting with neighboring tables.  Met some great people this way.  

Maybe you'll enjoy some other 1sts.  Happy sailing

We like YTD because usually it starts 30 min before the others so maybe you get out a bit sooner so you do not have to rush to the show. As for the drink package. I have mentioned what I do on other posts. My wife likes the cappuccino maybe 3 times on a 7 day cruise. I do not drink a lot. I purchase the soda package. When they have the 2oz shooters special. I get one and put it in my soda. Maybe a long island ice tea twice. So the drink package would be a bit much for us. Easy to see if ti is for you. How many drinks will you do in a day vs the cost each or the package. You can Google Carnivals drink prices. The list literally covers everything.