Which ships have Automatic Doors on accessible cabins

GUT2407

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2019 at 11:59 PM, Tee & Chilli said:

How about Allure of the Seas?

We just got off the Allure yesterday.   No automatic doors on accessible staterooms OV with balcony.

At least there were two of us so it was easier but I don't know how someone in a wheelchair/scooter could open those big heavy doors alone and get their equipment out the door.

If you don't know, take a door stop.   At least you'll be able to prop the door open.  

2 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

We just got off the Allure yesterday.   No automatic doors on accessible staterooms OV with balcony.

At least there were two of us so it was easier but I don't know how someone in a wheelchair/scooter could open those big heavy doors alone and get their equipment out the door.

If you don't know, take a door stop.   At least you'll be able to prop the door open.  

It is certainly hard to open some doors.

• 4 weeks later...

We have been on Allure and Oasis. Neither have automatic doors for handicap accessible rooms.  The rooms are much larger and the balconies are handicap accessible. The doors are extremely heavy. I personally cannot open them by myself. 

Just off Symphony of the Seas and like her sisters in the Oasis class the cabin doors open inward  automatically once you swipe your card and push the handle.  The problem is, when you leave the cabin there is “no push to open” button.  You have to pull handle down and then pull door at which time it automatically opens in.  Unfortunately this is a difficult if not impossible maneuver for a wheelchair user as it requires speed and dexterity to back up out of the way of the very heavy door once it starts opening.

• 3 weeks later...

Majestic Princess doesn’t in fact I got stuck in the public toilet because there was no way to open the heavy door (probably a stiff closer) and manoeuvre the chair. pretty poor on a ship only two years old.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, bunchesofun said:

Carnival Pride, some handicap cabins have automatic doors.  We had 4207 inside (with obstructed view window!) which had an automatic door opener.

Yes on the Spirit Class ships [Pride, Spirit, Legend, Miracle] 4207 (fully accessible) does - 4202, 4203 and 4205 (ambulatory accessible) do not.

5 hours ago, meatloafsfan said:

Yes on the Spirit Class ships [Pride, Spirit, Legend, Miracle] 4207 (fully accessible) does - 4202, 4203 and 4205 (ambulatory accessible) do not.

We were quite lucky, as we almost booked 4205, but ultimately decided on 4207.  It was quite handy as my husband would play poker until 1am and could let himself into the cabin by himself with his scooter.  We have it booked for another cruise as well. 🙂

Celebrity M Class

Did  two cruises on the Summit, one in October and the other 12/14/19(Aqua) and both were in accessible cabins. No electronic doors were installed after refurb so the doors remain heavy and hard to open from the inside. Also, none of the restrooms have electronic doors and some still have thresholds!

Biggest problem was the floor plates at each fire door was difficult to get over.

Hal

6 hours ago, HS2BS said:

Celebrity M Class

Did  two cruises on the Summit, one in October and the other 12/14/19(Aqua) and both were in accessible cabins. No electronic doors were installed after refurb so the doors remain heavy and hard to open from the inside. Also, none of the restrooms have electronic doors and some still have thresholds!

Biggest problem was the floor plates at each fire door was difficult to get over.

Hal

Yep it seems very few ships are really wheelchair friendly.

GUT2407,

While the M class is not handicap friendly, the Edge(did eastbound TA) is about 85% better - still hard to get over fire door plates, ramp to martini bar is to steep, and seating in theater is limited to main floor in front of the stage, accessible by a small lift. S class is the best of the ships, Silhouette(b2b February in Caribbean) and Reflection(fall TA) are both equipped with electronic doors and easier to transverse those plates. Martini bar has an accessible portion, but sky lounge bar does not.

Hal

16 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

GUT2407,

While the M class is not handicap friendly, the Edge(did eastbound TA) is about 85% better - still hard to get over fire door plates, ramp to martini bar is to steep, and seating in theater is limited to main floor in front of the stage, accessible by a small lift. S class is the best of the ships, Silhouette(b2b February in Caribbean) and Reflection(fall TA) are both equipped with electronic doors and easier to transverse those plates. Martini bar has an accessible portion, but sky lounge bar does not.

Hal

Thanks for that detail, the plates are a necessity as I understand it but the jolt as I cross them does horrendous things to my spine no matter how slow I take them. And so many ramps are just too steep not just on ships either.

On 8/4/2019 at 4:56 PM, kokopelli-az said:

Celebrity does.  For both the accessible restrooms and staterooms (you push a button for the restrooms to open the door and use your room key for your own room and the door opens automatically).   At least that's the way it is on the Equinox and Eclipse (for Aqua staterooms).   As a matter of fact, most doors on these ships in the common areas had automatic doors. 

You could contact the cruise line(s) you are thinking about and talk to their Access Department about your specific cruise line or ship.  

We're on Royal Caribbean Sept 1 so I'll be on the lookout for automatic doors since we haven't been on Royal for a while.

Celebrity S Class ships have automatic doors.  The M Class ships do not, unfortunately.

On 1/10/2020 at 12:11 PM, Lady Jane said:

Celebrity S Class ships have automatic doors.  The M Class ships do not, unfortunately.

The Koningsdam on HAL we had an  accessible cabin and we had automatic door to go out and return.  Sure was nice.