Which ships have Automatic Doors on accessible cabins

GUT2407

Went out on Friday night to a pretty new resort and used the accessible bathroom.

I was to say the least disappointed by the door. It needed to be held open when exiting. Not t easy to hold a door open and manoeuvre a wheelchair at the same time.

So it got me thinking...

I know one of our cruises had an automatic door on our cabin, it could be handy to make a list of which ships have this feature. You just needed to enter your card and the cabin door swung open automatically.

Celebrity does.  For both the accessible restrooms and staterooms (you push a button for the restrooms to open the door and use your room key for your own room and the door opens automatically).   At least that's the way it is on the Equinox and Eclipse (for Aqua staterooms).   As a matter of fact, most doors on these ships in the common areas had automatic doors. 

You could contact the cruise line(s) you are thinking about and talk to their Access Department about your specific cruise line or ship.  

We're on Royal Caribbean Sept 1 so I'll be on the lookout for automatic doors since we haven't been on Royal for a while.

The fully accessible state rooms on the Carnival Vista have automatic door openers. For those that may use the ambulatory accessible rooms on Carnival but need this feature, the Carnival Conquest and Carnival Magic do not have automatic door openers on the stateroom door.

One final aside, on Carnival ships, one needs to look carefully at the deck plans because the Conquest class has multiple decks that one in a wheelchair cannot traverse from front to back. Other ships in other Carnival classes and from other lines may have this same issue but I cannot speak to those.

42 minutes ago, TravelingUnicorn said:

The fully accessible state rooms on the Carnival Vista have automatic door openers. For those that may use the ambulatory accessible rooms on Carnival but need this feature, the Carnival Conquest and Carnival Magic do not have automatic door openers on the stateroom door.

One final aside, on Carnival ships, one needs to look carefully at the deck plans because the Conquest class has multiple decks that one in a wheelchair cannot traverse from front to back. Other ships in other Carnival classes and from other lines may have this same issue but I cannot speak to those.

Thanks for that additional info, handy to know. There are a few ships in different lines where in a wheelchair you need to up, across down, etc to get where you need to go and in a wheelchair it’s a pain. One ship they’d only let you into the MDR via an entry with stairs, caused a few issues.

We were on Celebrity Silhouette last year and conform that the accessible cabin we were in had automatic doors. It is so useful as one cannot be truly independent if the door cannot be managed.

I know that this won't be relevant to many who post on here, but I will say it anyway -

P&O have automatic cabin doors on some of their ships. Certainly Oriana (although she is leaving the fleet very shortly) and, I'm told, Aurora. I will let you know about Arcadia when we have been onboard next month.

I found the doors so useful when we were on Oriana - although I did have one occasion when the door kept opening again on its own. The cabin steward came along and cleaned a sensor and that solved the problem.

3 hours ago, Slugsta said:

We were on Celebrity Silhouette last year and conform that the accessible cabin we were in had automatic doors. It is so useful as one cannot be truly independent if the door cannot be managed.

I know that this won't be relevant to many who post on here, but I will say it anyway -

P&O have automatic cabin doors on some of their ships. Certainly Oriana (although she is leaving the fleet very shortly) and, I'm told, Aurora. I will let you know about Arcadia when we have been onboard next month.

I found the doors so useful when we were on Oriana - although I did have one occasion when the door kept opening again on its own. The cabin steward came along and cleaned a sensor and that solved the problem.

Another big thank you, it is so much easier with the automatic doors.

No automatic doors on Accessible staterooms on  Princess ships.   We were on the Royal Princess in April and although they did have the newest Medallian tech for opening and closing the door, it was not an automatic door so someone had to hold it open.  Maybe Princess will realize the problem and correct it on the next new build.

Last week on Carnival Inspiration the stateroom did have an automatic door but it closed too soon so it really wasn't of much help when you would try to back a mobility scooter out.  Stateroom was so small that you couldn't turn around to drive forward to get out.

2 minutes ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

No automatic doors on Accessible staterooms on  Princess ships.   We were on the Royal Princess in April and although they did have the newest Medallian tech for opening and closing the door, it was not an automatic door so someone had to hold it open.  Maybe Princess will realize the problem and correct it on the next new build.

Last week on Carnival Inspiration the stateroom did have an automatic door but it closed too soon so it really wasn't of much help when you would try to back a mobility scooter out.  Stateroom was so small that you couldn't turn around to drive forward to get out.

Yeah Princess need to get with the times.

And agree some of them, on ship or land, close way to quickly.

I can confirm that All Celebrity Solstice Class ships have automatic doors for both Entry and bathroom/showers.   Also new Edge Class ship has automatic doors.  HOWEVER During the Edgeification(renovation) of Celebrities older Millennium class ships, Automatic doors were NOT added and they are not planning to.  So Celebrity Millennium class vessels have No automated Entry doors or Bathroom doors in Cabin......However they have some throughout other parts of the ships.  

I have a family member in a wheelchair and the automatic doors to cabin allow them independent access without help from anyone else.  That is Brilliant!!!!  We mostly sail on ships with automated doors etc.  Lastly, depending on budget, Celebrities handicapped suites on Solstice class are the largest we have found afloat.  Sky Suites.  FYI.  about 400+ square feet and a ramped terrace with manual door.

Add this to your list.  

I think it's more the ships than the cruise lines. Many of the older ships don't have the automatic door openers but the newer ships do. 

On Royal, none of the voyager class or freedom class accessible cabins we've stayed in have had an automatic door opener but people above are listing newer Royal Caribbean ships.

On Carnival, many of their fully accessible cabins do have the automatic door openers (we had one on the Pride in 4207) but not their modified accessible cabins (like 4205).

Our Princess cabin didn't have one, and neither have any of our M-Class cabins on Celebrity but the newer S class ship did.

On 8/3/2019 at 7:10 PM, GUT2407 said:

Went out on Friday night to a pretty new resort and used the accessible bathroom.

I was to say the least disappointed by the door. It needed to be held open when exiting. Not t easy to hold a door open and manoeuvre a wheelchair at the same time.

So it got me thinking...

I know one of our cruises had an automatic door on our cabin, it could be handy to make a list of which ships have this feature. You just needed to enter your card and the cabin door swung open automatically.

Carnival Liberty has automatic doors or at least on deck 9 they were

I know for a fact, that RCI’s Radiance OTS has FULLY automatic doors, meaning that there’s a button both outside and inside to open them. I don’t see why the other ships within the same class (Brilliance, Serenade and Jewel) wouldn’t have them as well. 

It was mentioned that the “newer” classes of ships also have automatic doors; on Symphony OTS (Oasis class), the accessible stateroom doors swung open only after pushing/pulling on the handle and getting it started. 

I was was told by a stateroom attendant that the reason all accessible staterooms onboard RCI’s ships aren’t “fully automatic” is that they are a maintenance nightmare, because of people opening the doors manually, which those weren’t designed to do. 

6 hours ago, dreamer976 said:

I know for a fact, that RCI’s Radiance OTS has FULLY automatic doors, meaning that there’s a button both outside and inside to open them. I don’t see why the other ships within the same class (Brilliance, Serenade and Jewel) wouldn’t have them as well. 

It was mentioned that the “newer” classes of ships also have automatic doors; on Symphony OTS (Oasis class), the accessible stateroom doors swung open only after pushing/pulling on the handle and getting it started. 

I was was told by a stateroom attendant that the reason all accessible staterooms onboard RCI’s ships aren’t “fully automatic” is that they are a maintenance nightmare, because of people opening the doors manually, which those weren’t designed to do. 

Thanks I have been told that both Radiance and Serenade have automatic doors, which is nice to know.

• 2 weeks later...