Balcony Etiquette

47 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Thanks, I'm not sure I could do, say a NZ cruise in an interior but possibly a short one. Like Mr GUT I can suffer from claustrophobia.

Leigh

We thought we wouldn't like an inside due to my wife's worry of becoming claustrophobic. However, as mentioned above, we have found for some itineraries, it is wonderful and can save an absolute packet. One great thing with them is that they are so quiet and dark for sleeping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

I agree but still not sure about an inside cabin. 😃

Leigh

Turn your TV to the bridge cam. Instant window!

I quite like the inside cabins at night. Aft e r all I'd have the curtains closed in a balcony cabin so there isn't much difference at night. During the day we're out and about the ship, we don't spend much time in the cabin then.

We're just about to do the 35 night Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in an inside cabin. 😲😄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, greykangaroo said:

I am always amused at the attitude of passengers on adjoining balconies. 

Having now sailed on cruises that total almost 500 nights, everyone out on their balcony is reluctant to communicate. It sure is different in the restaurant where one must ask for a table for two to get relief from boring conversations. So what is sacred about balconies and the mandatory silence?

I mean, ever notice the shocked silence or the act they put on that they haven't heard?

When we go out onto our balcony and see the neighbors hanging over their rail we always feel obliged to offer a few words.

It might be " lovely day isn't it?" or  "great view isn't it"? But shock horror, the neighbors spoke!

It is like I said " We are a bit short and wondered if you could spare a fifty"? Or, " Wow, I like your wife, would you like to swap with mine for the night"?

Nah, I'm too busy standing around in my underwear smoking and playing loud music to talk to the neighbours.  And I already sampled your wife last night. I gave her the $50! 😀

26 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Turn your TV to the bridge cam. Instant window!

I quite like the inside cabins at night. Aft e r all I'd have the curtains closed in a balcony cabin so there isn't much difference at night. During the day we're out and about the ship, we don't spend much time in the cabin then.

We're just about to do the 35 night Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in an inside cabin. 😲😄

Agreed about not spending that much time in the cabin except when we have a balcony, as we will spend time on it, just watching the water and looking at the swell , birds, flying fish and possibly any other wildlife that breaks the surface.

Agreed about not spending that much time in the cabin except when we have a balcony, as we will spend time on it, just watching the water and looking at the swell , birds, flying fish and possibly any other wildlife that breaks the surface.

10 hours ago, mum and son said:

Haha, hopefully everyone else's disdain might get me a couple of extra cheapies each year 😄.

And that’s one of the beauties of cruising, there is something for everyone. (Almost)

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Whereas I spend a lot of time in my cabin, I often need to head back an collapse on the bed for an hour or so, one reason I want floor to ceiling glass, so I can watch the sea life, or even just the sea. Seen a lot of flying fish, birds and dolphins.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Different strokes for different folks.

Again one of the beauties of cruising, something for pretty much everyone. We booked one cruise for six of us, Mrs G and I a balcony, Miss G and friend another balcony, son and wife preferred an inside. Hey whatever floats your boat.

11 hours ago, banzaii said:

Nah, I'm too busy standing around in my underwear smoking and playing loud music to talk to the neighbours.  And I already sampled your wife last night. I gave her the $50! 😀

Is that what was going on in that dark cabin next door. All that grunting and other animal noises. The old lady spinster who is in that cabin looked like she had been ravaged the next morning when she was talking to the security guys about fifty dollars that had been taken from her purse.

Oh and I let them know that someone is smoking on the balcony.

Always book a balcony cabin wherever possible.  Always wanna be polite and certainly don't mind saying g'day to my  neighbours but don't wanna foster new best friends.  If I see my neighbours leaning over their balcony as I am doing, then I will smile and chat crap nobody cares about for a few moments.  I will then politely remove myself from the interaction.  The husband on the other hand.............OMG that man is looking for a new best friend at every opportunity and in every confined space; balconies, lifts, reception lines etc etc etc.  🤔  

3 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

Always book a balcony cabin wherever possible.  Always wanna be polite and certainly don't mind saying g'day to my  neighbours but don't wanna foster new best friends.  If I see my neighbours leaning over their balcony as I am doing, then I will smile and chat crap nobody cares about for a few moments.  I will then politely remove myself from the interaction.  The husband on the other hand.............OMG that man is looking for a new best friend at every opportunity and in every confined space; balconies, lifts, reception lines etc etc etc.  🤔  

You never know if you are going to find that cruise buddy couple.

17 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We thought we wouldn't like an inside due to my wife's worry of becoming claustrophobic. However, as mentioned above, we have found for some itineraries, it is wonderful and can save an absolute packet. One great thing with them is that they are so quiet and dark for sleeping.

We used to take my mother-in-law with us on cruises - 3 in a cabin. She 'had' to have an outside (or balcony) cabin because she was claustrophobic. Then when we were planning a 47 night HAL cruise around South America she asked her brother to come as well. We didn't want four adults in a cabin with one bathroom. After my MIL saw the price difference, she suddenly decided that an inside cabin wasn't too bad. When she got into the cabin she was pleasantly surprised that the cabin wasn't claustrophobic.

21 hours ago, mum and son said:

I shop on price when it comes to cruises so I have been in just about every cabin type from interior to a 2 bed/2 bath Haven Villa with swipe card access to a private floor and pool with retractable roof on NCL (by calling NCL and offering them $900 to upsell myself).

Some people on this forum may even remember me from a few years ago when I took advantage of a "dropped digit" price error for 8 family members and we enjoyed 4 aft-facing full suites on the Emerald Princess for 12 nights at a total saving of more than $48,000 off the price at the time. My next Princess cruise was in an inside triple. 

My preference is to at least have an oceanview cabin, but in January I'm sailing 11 nights to PNG in an inside cabin because the price was too good to resist. Any day on a ship is better than a day at work for me 😁, and I quite like my job.

Your dropped digit story often comes up in our house, we can only dream of such a thing.

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

We used to take my mother-in-law with us on cruises - 3 in a cabin. She 'had' to have an outside (or balcony) cabin because she was claustrophobic. Then when we were planning a 47 night HAL cruise around South America she asked her brother to come as well. We didn't want four adults in a cabin with one bathroom. After my MIL saw the price difference, she suddenly decided that an inside cabin wasn't too bad. When she got into the cabin she was pleasantly surprised that the cabin wasn't claustrophobic.

Friends of ours only ever cruise in inside cabins, their reasoning is that they only sleep, shower and change in the cabin and they can get 3 cruises for the price of 1 or 2 in a balcony cabin.

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I note that you are an Australian citizen; that is unfortunate because when Obama was handing out peace medals for patriots like Ellen Degeneres,  you would have been next in line for the  Presidential award. I mean booking a 47 night cruise with your mother in law in the cabin would definitely rate you as a recipient and an invitation to an investiture at the White House.

I wonder if it was the same cruise we did on the Crown Princess? But that was 49 nights. It was chic on board to ask if we were Clementinas? What is that one asked? Forty niner Clementina "was the reply. many got off in Buenos Aires.

1 minute ago, greykangaroo said:

I note that you are an Australian citizen; that is unfortunate because when Obama was handing out peace medals for patriots like Ellen Degeneres,  you would have been next in line for the  Presidential award. I mean booking a 47 night cruise with your mother in law in the cabin would definitely rate you as a recipient and an invitation to an investiture at the White House.

I wonder if it was the same cruise we did on the Crown Princess? But that was 49 nights. It was chic on board to ask if we were Clementinas? What is that one asked? Forty niner Clementina "was the reply. many got off in Buenos Aires.

It was on the Ryndam.

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep.

OK, I'm going to impart my best advice to you. Normally I don't hand out advice like this, but I can see you are desperate. 

My wife wants me to come to the cabin door with no shirt on and wearing just little footy shorts , a nail bag and work boots. Why don't you get your husband to try that as it seems to work.

I think it has something to do with a lot of jobs that need doing at home and she gets homesick.

10 minutes ago, greykangaroo said:

OK, I'm going to impart my best advice to you. Normally I don't hand out advice like this, but I can see you are desperate. 

My wife wants me to come to the cabin door with no shirt on and wearing just little footy shorts , a nail bag and work boots. Why don't you get your husband to try that as it seems to work.

I think it has something to do with a lot of jobs that need doing at home and she gets homesick.

I am not sure my wife would appreciate me getting a husband.😋

20 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I am not sure my wife would appreciate me getting a husband.😋

Well last time your avatar spoke  it was your wife and she was was lamenting you looking for new mates all over the ship. Now you are talking about what your wife wants. Spare a thought for simple people like myself who  can't see the gender in this banter.

But then you are from Canberra; I suppose I understand. lot of sex change stuff going on there.

25 minutes ago, greykangaroo said:

Well last time your avatar spoke  it was your wife and she was was lamenting you looking for new mates all over the ship. Now you are talking about what your wife wants. Spare a thought for simple people like myself who  can't see the gender in this banter.

But then you are from Canberra; I suppose I understand. lot of sex change stuff going on there.

Are you sure, his wife has her own account.

10 hours ago, greykangaroo said:

Is that what was going on in that dark cabin next door. All that grunting and other animal noises. The old lady spinster who is in that cabin looked like she had been ravaged the next morning when she was talking to the security guys about fifty dollars that had been taken from her purse.

Oh and I let them know that someone is smoking on the balcony.

Hey what happens in your cabin, stays in you cabin.  Bros before ....... pros

Edited by banzaii

51 minutes ago, greykangaroo said:

9 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

The husband on the other hand.............OMG that man is looking for a new best friend at every opportunity and in every confined space; balconies, lifts, reception lines etc etc etc.  🤔  

I believe you have been vaping the wacky tobbacky

In saying that, I reckon Mic would be that friendly.

Edited by banzaii