Good Experiences With Guaranteed Cabins?

Hello,

I am considering booking a guaranteed OV on the Explorer, but I have never done a guaranteed room. Has anyone had any positive experiences with it? I have a feeling we will be on Deck 2, but is there a possibility that we could be on a higher deck? 

Also, for anyone who may know, we are trying to book three in an OV on the Explorer. Will the third person be more likely to sleep on a couch or on a bunk bed? Just trying to plan/envision, we don't cruise Royal much (twice, once in 2012 and once in 2016 so we don't know much).

Thanks in advance for any help at all!

Most experience no upgrades. Location, might get lucky can be anywhere but assume not and be happy IF. Up to you, Cost and take what you get which is fine as many do. Best I ever got was 2 Decks up inc Explorer,  most time not in past but haven't done Guarantee in 3yrs as like pick my Cabin/Location.

Edited by ONECRUISER

I've done a few GTYs.  I use my cabin for sleeping, showering, and changing clothes.  Other than that, I'm generally somewhere else on the ship.  If you care about where your cabin is, I wouldn't roll the dice.  If you don't, and the savings is significant, go for it.....but be prepared to take the worst cabin on the ship as part of the deal.  I've always been happy with my room assignment, but then again, I'm the least picky cruiser when it comes to cabin selection.

• Like 2

Last time I had a guarantee and was surprised to end up on Deck 7, FWD but not a bad location. I was actually "centrally forward" and a number of cabins were further up than mine. 

This time, I'm rolling the dice again. I've now looked at the current availability on the ship and it looks like there are still a fair number of empty cabins spread across the various floors. I guess I'm prepared for anything. 

I think that if I really cared a lot about the view or were worried, I would pick my own cabin. It's a little bit of a curiosity to find out what I'll be assigned but I think I'll be happy with most choices. I mean, if I end up on the bottom deck, it's going to be easy to get off the ship. If I'm farther up, I'll be convenient to some places and less so to others but climbing any stairs will be good exercise.

I'm kind of hoping to not be on the bottom deck but there's a bright side to most options. I'm also not that prone to seasickness, but there's a first time for anything.

This is one topic where past experiences are REALLY not a predictor of current or future outcomes.

RoyalUp has truly shaken up the guarantee system.

ONLY book a guarantee if you carefully examine the deck plans, locate all of the cabins in your category & decide that you could live with ANY of them.

Thanks guys for the speedy advice! I actually called my TA and she was able to hook me up with a Scenic OV room for the same price as a guarantee room, so I snagged that immediately. So crisis avoided 🙂

So excited to be back with RCI for the first time in 3.5 years!

Edited by OceansOfTravels

I did a balcony guarantee recently on Adventure. I ended up with a fairly aft cabin on deck 7. It was a bit more aft than I would have chosen, but otherwise fine. 

It was also half the price than if I had picked my own cabin. At that kind of cost savings I would have been happy with any location.