No Cruise Staff?

cruisethirsty

I recently cruised on HAL's Nieuw Statendam and was surprised that there was no longer a true cruise staff. Only a cruise

director and an assistant cruise director. This certainly cut down on the number of available activities offered and was my only 

major problem with the cruise. Does anyone know if this change is only on the new Pinnacle Class ships or have they gone this

cost-cutting method throughout the fleet? If so, it certainly severely damages the overall cruise experience and I would have

to think long and hard about taking another HAL cruise. 

And some activities that are advertised suffer as well.  For example, on our last cruise aboard NS, my son tried to attend the Singles Get-together the first evening of the cruise.  No cruise staff showed up, so they cancelled the event.  My son and several other passengers were left wondering what happened.  When my son checked with the Front Desk, he was informed that they didn't have enough staff to run the event!

• Like 1

Post #2 is not entirely correct. Yes, the cruise staff (later "cruise activities staff") of the 90ties had up to six-seven staff, headed by a CD and Asst. CD and even included, up until 2002 (on Prinsendam even later), wait for it.........a social hostess.

When those numbers started dwindling around 2009, those staff members were replaced by new positions such as Event Manager (now Entertainment Coordinator), Disc Jockey/Emcee (later D.J./Show host and that task now performed by the ACD), Party Planner (later morphed into Culinary Arts Center host, and now America's Test Kitchen/ATK host), Travel Guide (later Location Guide, and now Lead EXC guide), Techspert (now Digital Workshop host), Lifestylist and Librarian. Of those positions, the  lifestylist (2013) and librarian (2016) are now also history!

4 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Post #2 is not entirely correct. Yes, the cruise staff (later "cruise activities staff") of the 90ties had up to six-seven staff, headed by a CD and Asst. CD and even included, up until 2002 (on Prinsendam even later), wait for it.........a social hostess.

When those numbers started dwindling around 2009, those staff members were replaced by new positions such as Event Manager (now Entertainment Coordinator), Disc Jockey/Emcee (later D.J./Show host and that task now performed by the ACD), Party Planner (later morphed into Culinary Arts Center host, and now America's Test Kitchen/ATK host), Travel Guide (later Location Guide, and now Lead EXC guide), Techspert (now Digital Workshop host), Lifestylist and Librarian. Of those positions, the  lifestylist (2013) and librarian (2016) are now also history!

What exactly is a Lead EXC Guide?

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks. So the only "guiding" they do is manage the EXC employees. 

They're the old shore excursion dept. They give presentations, etc. Rumor has it they're out the door also except on the Maasdam. If that happens, they're more than likely going back to being straight up shorex again because shore excursions make $$$ and will never go away

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

CD's  are now, IMO more closely defined  as EmCee's

They are by no sretch anything  resembling what most of us   

think of as CD'.  

IMO

image.png.32b2fcef13339beaeb9c19398f1dd302.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

CD's  are now, IMO more closely defined  as EmCee's

They are by no sretch anything  resembling what most of us   

think of as CD'.  

IMO

So true.

And I really miss when we had the hostess on each ship.

• Like 1

We really enjoyed Jeannette on the Amsterdam in June. She was the Lead EXC Guide and is from Alaska. She gave two hour-long presentations on Alasks (not shopping talks either) and narrated when the ship was in Tracy Arm and Hubbard Glacier. We saw her on the dock in every port as we exited the ship; she was there to answer questions. If, as Copper said, that position is being eliminated, what is left? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cruise_More_Often said:

We really enjoyed Jeannette on the Amsterdam in June. She was the Lead EXC Guide and is from Alaska. She gave two hour-long presentations on Alasks (not shopping talks either) and narrated when the ship was in Tracy Arm and Hubbard Glacier. We saw her on the dock in every port as we exited the ship; she was there to answer questions. If, as Copper said, that position is being eliminated, what is left? 

Jeanette's been around for a long time! She knows Alaska, no doubt! - If EXC is being revamped after such a short time, and who knows what's in the brain of Bill Prince, they might just go back to some sort of travel guide again. Time will tell 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Jeanette's been around for a long time! She knows Alaska, no doubt! - If EXC is being revamped after such a short time, and who knows what's in the brain of Bill Prince, they might just go back to some sort of travel guide again. Time will tell 

I sure hope they do. Copper, I really appreciate your input on this Board. Thank you!

• Thanks 1

On our last HAL cruise there were almost no activites except trivia, which we like, and those that were selling something which we don't.  I have been a HAL loyalist but this may make me jump ship in the future.  We have a transatlantic coming up in October on the NS so I better download extra books!  I am hopeful something will change.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2019 at 11:38 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

So true.

And I really miss when we had the hostess on each ship.

You likely remember, Lammie?      formerly an HAL ship's    hostess.       🙂

2 hours ago, sail7seas said:

You likely remember, Lammie?      formerly an HAL ship's    hostess.       🙂

Lammie now sails as WOB (wife on board) and helps out at Shorex/Journeys Ashore. Her husband Albert is a HAL First Officer. Another former social hostess is Apollonia van Ravenstein, spouse of HAL Captain Edward van Zaane

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 7:24 PM, Copper10-8 said:

They're the old shore excursion dept. They give presentations, etc. Rumor has it they're out the door also except on the Maasdam. If that happens, they're more than likely going back to being straight up shorex again because shore excursions make $$$ and will never go away

On the Eurodam last week the CD was also performing the EXC presentations. From what he described that is the new structure going forward since his title included both positions. He stated his title as Cruise and EXC Director.

On 8/29/2019 at 1:51 PM, npcl said:

On the Eurodam last week the CD was also performing the EXC presentations. From what he described that is the new structure going forward since his title included both positions. He stated his title as Cruise and EXC Director.

Yes, same on Nieuw A three weeks ago; that seems to be the new direction they're going in

On 8/29/2019 at 4:49 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Lammie now sails as WOB (wife on board) and helps out at Shorex/Journeys Ashore. Her husband Albert is a HAL First Officer. Another former social hostess is Apollonia van Ravenstein, spouse of HAL Captain Edward van Zaane

Yes, we  did sail with them   after they   married.  

Yes, yes, Albert

It must be about 9 or so years since   they married.   I  remember a few  nice dinners with  them as 'married couple'    🙂

last time we sailed with them was Maasdam, Canada/ NE. long time ago

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/5/2019 at 6:07 PM, Krazy Kruizers said:

Years ago HAL started to cut back on the cruise staff.  Thus the number of activities have been cut way back.

NOT cut back,  IMO.  From my observations   I would say just  about  entirely eliminated.".