Meet & Mingle Activities Help

Shoppie124

I'd appreciate some input.  Here is what our group wants to do:

1. Standard meet & Mingle - setup with NCL (1st sea day)

2. Slot pull

3. Pub crawl

Do I schedule this all for the same day?

Also with the pub crawl, should there be activities?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!!

You should plan all those when you have the crowd together - later in the cruise it will be next

to something else to get everyone back.

A port call shore excursion intensive cruise your plans will be a one time event - the more sea

days you may find getting the crowd back easier but not everyone.

The M & G is followed by Slot Pull - Pub (Cabin) Crawl not necessarily in that order.

Plan an hour for the M & G - an hour for the Slot Pull - an hour for the Pub Crawl or Cabin Crawl

all depending on the ship the number in your party and your plans for each stop.

It depends on a # of factors - ship & expected group size for the M&G (a good rule of thumb for those of us that've attended and organized them over the years is 70% to 80% of those signed up will actually show up ... things happend) and the itinerary (sea days, port schedule) and seasonal (holiday, summer/peak travel & off-seaon with solos, etc.) 

Take a take at the Roll Call ahead of yours - see & learn what time and where they are confirmed for their M&G ... get some feedback.  If you are doing this for the first time and never done it, go easy - it's doable but can be overwhelming if you try to it all, everything by yourself - without help from others and/or getting "hijacked" by another "bully" (off-topic, I know ...)

Keep in mind that while the room is reserved to the group for 1 hour, the actual /"formal" part of the M&G is usually just 15 to 20 minutes, with the first 5 to 10 minutes from/for the senior officers/reps from the ship ... usually the CD will stay around/longer.  The remaining time is for the group to stay, chat, do raffles or gift exchange, etc. (those are nice but NOT necessary, IMHO) 

A popular time for the M&G is 11 am on Day 2, typically a sea day (whereas, the MDR is open from 12 noon to 1:30 pm only ... watch your clock/time for all planned events, not everyone wanted to miss their Haven lunch or bolt for the buffet)   A cabin crawl, depending on the size of the ship & confirmed cabins to be seen and the mapped course of where/how - can take 45 minutes to 1 hour plus, especially if a fellow CC can arranged/offer to use/show their deluxe/penthouse 2 br suite with the private oversized balcony, etc. with beverages & snacks.  Time/day/location of the M&G venue is confirmed and decided by the ship's group event coordinator, you can request and/or express your group's preference - up to them to check for availability (especially if the senior officers are usually in attendance ...) 

A slot pull, if you get 30 or 40 players signed up - that will take time to do ... stretching the "triple" to easily 2+ hours, and lots of walking & elevator rides ... consider mobility issues & crowds.  We have had slot pulls planned & scheduled only to get notified that we've been "cancelled" b/c they are packed & busy, ship tournaments being runned - and very difficult to reserve or set aside a dollar machine for the group ... mega/plus ships are easier, apparently. A pub crawl instead of the cabin crawl will involve plenty of leg work as well to visit, plus elevators - for those in the group that drink, whether they have the UBP or not.  

On newer ships, keep in mind that "veteran" Latitude members with CC might also be doing their complimentary BTS ship tour (Behind The Ship) below deck on the same morning, sometimes at 9 or 9:30 am but other times at 10 am, lasting a hour & sometimes a little longer - affecting the turnout for the M&G.  Hence, poll your group & check/read the Roll Call ahead of yours to get some ideas / intel of what their plans are - if it worked for them, don't mess with it. 

Been with M&G where some of the members would gather for the SailAway party and then do a pub crawl on embarkation day ... and, the singles/solo do their own dinner plans - freeing up valuable times on Day 2 for the M&G and a slot pull/cabin crawl right after.  We've had - on longer cruises - held slot pulls in the afternoon and round 2 & 3 on different sea days later on, and piggybacking a cabin crawl ... not easy and sometimes impossible on a port-intensive short 5 to 7 days itinerary/sailing.  

Alas, there is no magical formula for success or lack thereof ... having extra help & other non-selfish volunteers to assist, your key to a great Roll Call.  Good luck ! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 1bets1 said:

What is a slot pull, and how does it work?

Participants all put a given amount into the selected slot machine (often $15 each in a $1 machine that has 3 plays as max, thus getting 5 spins per person).  One by one he participants take their spins.  At the end the group cashes out ah the money is divide equally.  Some do an additional $1 or so for a side pot to go to the highest winner but that tends to makes things too complicated.

22 hours ago, Shoppie124 said:

I'd appreciate some input.  Here is what our group wants to do:

1. Standard meet & Mingle - setup with NCL (1st sea day)

2. Slot pull

3. Pub crawl

Do I schedule this all for the same day?

Also with the pub crawl, should there be activities?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Normally I have and I think most others do the same: M&G and slot pull the same day. I have never done the pub crawl but would have it on another day. 

As someone mentioned be prepared for about 20 to 25% who sign up do not show up. Yes, things do happen, but I am always amazed that people do sign up and then do not show.NCL and the leader of the group go to a lot of work to make the event fun. 

• Like 1