Booking Question

roberts2005

We are considering a booking, next July 6, on the  Nieuw Statendam  for 21 days.  We would have liked a Signature Suite, but they appear sold out.

We have a hold on a Neptune suite using Hal’s web site for a cabin.  I have several offers from travel agents for almost 20 percent  less, all with the dreaded non-refundable deposit.  The part I don’t understand is that no changes can be made to the reservation even if the price goes lower or if a cabin  becomes available for  moving to a signature suite.

Are we better off booking the higher price direct with, HAL to hold the cabin with the hope of moving to a signature suite.  How long do we have to move the reservation to a travel agent?

Appreciate any comments.

39 minutes ago, Daisyloo said:

To move your booking to a travel agent it needs to be done within 60 days of making the booking. 

I personally would not want to book with a non-refundable deposit.

I don’t want to either, but looking at a difference of almost $5,000 on the total cost.

60 days is good to know.

Just now, roberts2005 said:

Booking the higher, refundable fare gives me the same option.

With the higher, refundable fare you don't need to purchase the cancel for any reason until right before final payment.  You wouldn't need it to cancel before final payment.  

1 hour ago, dfish said:

With the higher, refundable fare you don't need to purchase the cancel for any reason until right before final payment.  You wouldn't need it to cancel before final payment.  

Wasn’t there talk about having to buy the cancellation earlier or was it only for the non refundable that to have to buy it when booking?

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

Wasn’t there talk about having to buy the cancellation earlier or was it only for the non refundable that to have to buy it when booking?

Just the non refundable to my knowledge.

I am sure my TA would tell me if I needed to buy it earlier as we used it last time.

• Like 1

Still confused, about the fare structure.

if my deposit is $600 each and the fare drops more than $1,200.00 can I lose my deposit and rebook.  Talking only about before final payment.

i understand the risk of losing the $ 600.00.  Just don’t like not being able to change the cabin.

I would not book a nonrefundable deposit this far out as fares may change, promos may be available, your plans may change.

I also would not book a cruise on the HAL website.  Do you have a TA that you have experience with?  The promos that the TA’s are offering are the nonrefundable because they are cheaper to attract customers.  

You can book directly with a TA at Holland America, or better yet request a cruise consultant to handle your reservation.  Keep your options open, especially since you have booked a Neptune Suite and would rather have a Signature Suite.  If you call directly you may find that a SS is actually available.

21 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

I would not book a nonrefundable deposit this far out as fares may change, promos may be available, your plans may change.

I also would not book a cruise on the HAL website.  Do you have a TA that you have experience with?  The promos that the TA’s are offering are the nonrefundable because they are cheaper to attract customers.  

You can book directly with a TA at Holland America, or better yet request a cruise consultant to handle your reservation.  Keep your options open, especially since you have booked a Neptune Suite and would rather have a Signature Suite.  If you call directly you may find that a SS is actually available.

Wound up getting the SS by splitting the cruise in two.  Also booked the non refundable fare through a TA.

1 hour ago, roberts2005 said:

Wound up getting the SS by splitting the cruise in two.  Also booked the non refundable fare through a TA.

Thanks for getting back to us.  It looks like a great itinerary.  Have a wonderful cruise.

16 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

No.

Booked it under Explore 4, which is a refundable fare.  Will use my Chase Sapphire for insurance

Guess I was confused when you said you booked a non refundable fare.  

25 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

Just so everyone who helped knows,   Post 11 was a typo  I have booked a refundable fare.

Makes sense now, lol!!  I was worried about it.  Some people have accidentally booked non refundable.  Glad it’s all worked out for you!

On 8/7/2019 at 1:36 PM, roberts2005 said:

Still confused, about the fare structure.

if my deposit is $600 each and the fare drops more than $1,200.00 can I lose my deposit and rebook.  Talking only about before final payment.

i understand the risk of losing the $ 600.00.  Just don’t like not being able to change the cabin.

For some of the cruises the whole fare is nonrefundable, not just the deposit. Make sure you ask lots of questions.

I would not book a totally non-refundable fare almost a year out.  Prices do change ALOT over that time period with all kinds of promotions as well.  I booked my upcoming cruise about 9 months out and fares have dropped over 20% in that time, so I refared several times, plus I ended up with more OBC as well.

It would be interesting to look at what the same cruise is selling for this summer (if possible).  That should help you decide.  HAL seems to start high and then lower fares depending on demand.  

Also, I have changed cabins during the course of my booking when a "better" location opens up.