Viking Sky cabin choice

Susnyk

We are considering booking a cabin on the Viking Sky, cabin number 8106.  I am concerned about a couple of possible noise factors and hope someone can give me some advice.  This cabin is directly under the sports deck, so I am concerned about hearing pounding feet early in the morning.  The other concern is that the fairly short hallway where 8106 is located leads to the upper entrance of the Explorer's Lounge.  I don't know what to expect regarding likely noisy late nighters.  Does anyone have something to say about either of my concerns?

Thanks, Susan

49 minutes ago, Susnyk said:

We are considering booking a cabin on the Viking Sky, cabin number 8106.  I am concerned about a couple of possible noise factors and hope someone can give me some advice.  This cabin is directly under the sports deck, so I am concerned about hearing pounding feet early in the morning.  The other concern is that the fairly short hallway where 8106 is located leads to the upper entrance of the Explorer's Lounge.  I don't know what to expect regarding likely noisy late nighters.  Does anyone have something to say about either of my concerns?

Thanks, Susan

I'm sure there will be someone who has stayed in this room or one near it.

My first thought was - what are the reasons you want this specific cabin and this specific deck (8)?   To be higher up?  To be near the front of the ship?   and FYI - all the VOC ships have the same layout so being the Sky doesn't matter.

I have heard people respond before who like 7 and 8 up front and some who don't - so we'll let those people respond.  It will all come down to your reasons, as well, for wanting this small portion of the ship.

Susnyk - looked at the floor plan and now I see.   You are choosing a PS room - which exists on 7 and 8.  And you must mean 8006.  I was thinking you might have chosen one of the DV rooms that are on 8 (and which you could find on other floors as well).   We'll see what people say . . .   Personally I can't imagine much traffic down that hallway.  🙂

We've stayed in 7014 and 7012 with no noise from  people going or coming from the Explorer Lounge. After a Star Theater show most people that are staying up head to Torhaven or the Living Room bar.  Even if going to Explorer Lounge most would go on deck 7 where the bar is.  The second level on deck 6 doesn't have a bar.   BTW- The room service elevator exit is on this hallway for this and all decks.  Never heard them either.  Given the Viking demographic, I doubt you'll hear much of "pounding feet," maybe some brisk walking.  

We stayed in 8011 and have booked it again for our next cruise.  Occasional sound from the sports deck, wouldn"t call it noise.  They clear the equipment away around 18:00 I believe.  Absolutely no noise from the corridor and I imagine the only ones using it to access Explorer Lounge are those with cabins on that deck.  We loved the location.

15 hours ago, Susnyk said:

Thanks, Susan

We've stayed in 8017, which is essentially the same cabin on the starboard side.  We found it to be extremely quiet.  There is very little traffic in the hallways on the eighth deck.  The layout on the website is not exactly correct.  8016 and 8017 are really right at the elevator lobby, rather than forward of the lobby as shown on the diagram.  We never heard any elevator noise, though, and truthfully there are so few cabins on deck eight that the elevator rarely goes to that floor.  Also, the exits from the upper deck of the Explorer's Lounge into hallway are rarely used (at least that was our experience).  The cabin you are looking at is also located aft of most of the activity areas of the sports deck.  (And frankly, on all of our cruises, the sports deck has been very underutilized.)  So, at least in our experience, the PS cabins on deck eight were extremely quiet. 

Thanks for all your replies.  You have put my mind at ease about cabin 8016 being in a quiet place.  We will probably book the cruise.  My husband is still concerned that Viking requires full payment so long prior to the cruise - about 1 and a quarter years ahead!

2 hours ago, Susnyk said:

Thanks for all your replies.  You have put my mind at ease about cabin 8016 being in a quiet place.  We will probably book the cruise.  My husband is still concerned that Viking requires full payment so long prior to the cruise - about 1 and a quarter years ahead!

We all go through this for our first cruise. Not sure the exact policy now, but I believe if you book another cruise on the ship - or within 2 weeks of disembarking - you can pay the balance 6 months before embarkation of that cruise. 

7 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

We all go through this for our first cruise. Not sure the exact policy now, but I believe if you book another cruise on the ship - or within 2 weeks of disembarking - you can pay the balance 6 months before embarkation of that cruise. 

Yes, that certainly has been the case thus far in 2019.  That is one of the huge benefits of booking a future cruise while on board.  You can even give them your travel agent at that time if you wish and it will transfer over - or you can wait for up to 60 days from booking to switch it to a travel agent if you don't yet have one.   You can often get OBC's on your current cruise as well as other possible discounts & adjustments on the price of your new cruise.

That is why we wait to book future cruises until we are on one - just visit the Cruise Consultant on board (usually they have an office on Deck 2, above the Guest services on Deck 1.

We were on Viking Sky recently and stayed on deck 8. No noise from above or from the corridor. As cocopico said, most people enter the Explorers Lounge via deck 7. We had the same issues as you when we booked this last cruise, but this location suits us perfectly and we have booked the same room for our next 2 cruises. 

4 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes, that certainly has been the case thus far in 2019.  That is one of the huge benefits of booking a future cruise while on board.  You can even give them your travel agent at that time if you wish and it will transfer over - or you can wait for up to 60 days from booking to switch it to a travel agent if you don't yet have one.   You can often get OBC's on your current cruise as well as other possible discounts & adjustments on the price of your new cruise.

That is why we wait to book future cruises until we are on one - just visit the Cruise Consultant on board (usually they have an office on Deck 2, above the Guest services on Deck 1.

Exactly what we did (and got) last November for our cruise this November. Other pluses include getting a good choice of cabin, and preserving prices that went up a total of $1,200 for both of us. The cabin increased $200 per, the air $300 per and the extension we chose $100 per. Plus we didn’t have to pay until this May.