Ponant Yacht Club

Host Jazzbeau

I have two cruises booked on Ponant ships, one fully paid and the other on deposit for 2020.  But cruise #1 was booked through Backroads, which is providing the shore excursions on our circumnavigation of Iceland, so I didn't have any contact with Ponant on that one.

When I logged on to the Ponant website today, I was pleasantly surprised to see both cruises in 'My Ponant,' and  that I am listed as a Major in the Yacht Club – which you earn when your 2nd Ponant cruise is confirmed.  That means they are giving me credit for the Backroads cruise this year [which is above and beyond the industry norm for third-party value-added packages].

Has anyone else had this happen?  [I'm afraid it was a mistake, and will be corrected soon.]  It could be a nice perk for us, with free laundry on the New Zealand cruise [we are taking the Ponant pre-cruise extension so we will have some stuff that could be washed] and the possibility of the quinquennial wedding anniversary discount for our 45th.  I hope it's real, because it's really giving me good vibrations about Ponant!  [Cue the Beach Boys...]

• 3 weeks later...

Watching...

Not sure with the Backroads booking, I may assume they consider it like you booked via a travel agent. What I do know is, I have an epic voyage booked with Ponant for 76 days (8 back to back) and my understanding is, the obc, perks, ect will be added along the way as I cruise...so you should have free laundry on the 2nd cruise? I think you should. I think this is a great way to show a future customer a little gratitude. I was even told that my shipboard account can be settled at the end of the cruise and I would be at the (Grand Admiral) 25% off rate. That could work out to be a huge discount. Will be interested to here what other Ponant guests have to say. One thing I would ask, there is a $300 off promo for your first cruise with Ponant, they may apply that to your cruise with them. That way, if it did change, you would save the $300 and use that for laundry. Have fun, I have heard amazing things about Backroads.

Actually Ponant's method of earning Yacht Club credits is more generous than other cruise lines:  you earn the next level when you book the qualifying cruise, not when you complete it.  Our ship cards for this first cruise already say 'Major' [because we have the second cruise booked for next year] and we have been assured that the laundry we sent out today will be free.  We'll find out when it comes back...

Would you mind posting a bit about your cruise experience so far? I’m down to 87 days until my Antartica trip with them.

I would love to know a bit more:

- Bathroom Amenities - is there any Conditioner, Body Lotion and make up removal pads? 

- Any espresso & herbal tea in your cabin? 

- What kind of softdrink options are there? (Any sort of kombucha, Cranberry juice) 

- Free seasickness medicine? 

- Was there any c $ laundry bag offer? (first cruise so no free laundry for me) 

- How are the breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea option? Is there any vegan friendly yogurt alternative? 

- Temperature on board - is it more freezing or comfy warm in the public areas?

- Any clothing line in the bathroom to dry some hand wash only clothes (merino and cruise washer doesn’t end well)

thanks so much

Tina

2 hours ago, schnapperin said:

Would you mind posting a bit about your cruise experience so far? I’m down to 87 days until my Antartica trip with them.

I can answer some of your questions:

I would love to know a bit more:

- Bathroom Amenities - is there any Conditioner, Body Lotion and make up removal pads? 

Hermes small bottles of:  shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion.  Also small cakes of Hermes soap.  No makeup pads.

- Any espresso & herbal tea in your cabin? 

Tea:  breakfast, green, earl grey, chamomile.

Coffee:  livanto, vivalto lungo, volluto decaffeinato (pods)

- What kind of softdrink options are there? (Any sort of kombucha, Cranberry juice) 

In cabin: Coke, apple/quince juice, tonic, still and sparkling water

Also Heineken, lots of airline bottles of spirits [all included in the fare]

At breakfast and lunch there are two pitchers of juice, which varies

- Free seasickness medicine? 

I think so, but it hasn't come up.

- Was there any c $ laundry bag offer? (first cruise so no free laundry for me) 

Did see a 'stuff a bag' offer yet [we're only on day 3]

- How are the breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea option? Is there any vegan friendly yogurt alternative? 

I don't pay any attention to vegan so can't advise.  There is always a gluten-free table, and the menu highlights vegetarian options.  A women we have bonded with is dairy-free for health reasons and they have been very good at accommodating her [but she does have to pass on much of the best-tasting stuff, this being a French ship :classic_wink:]

- Temperature on board - is it more freezing or comfy warm in the public areas?

Temperature is pleasant, maybe on the cool side.  Cabin has thermostat that allowed us to adjust to suit

- Any clothing line in the bathroom to dry some hand wash only clothes (merino and cruise washer doesn’t end well)

Shower has a clothes line, and the exhaust system dries clothes quickly.  But the sink doesn't have a stopper.

thanks so much

Tina

• Like 1

Thanks so much - guess I better pack some make up removal pads

Luckly i’m not vegan or have any food requirements - but with the climate change talks i try to limit my diary intake so I hope for some vegan options- and def not skipping dessert or cheese.😎

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and I do look forward to read your blog post about how Ponant compares to the other cruise lines.

Pods are only in the cabins.  The bar in the lounge on deck 3 has a professional espresso machine that the bartender operates, and when I order Cafe au Lait in the dining room it has obviously been made in a professional machine [not quite as good as in my favorite bistro-bar in Paris, but then nothing is! :classic_wink:]

I will do a full review when we get back home, but as a spoiler I will say we are loving this trip.  Backroads makes it even better [especially by taking care of all our shore excursions with more interesting offerings than Ponant has], but everything about the ship has been top notch.  

We are about to experience 3 days of rough weather [and miss one port], so I will later be able to judge how well the ship sails and how well the entertainment staff copes.  So far they seem to be doing very well.  The Captain has held two special meetings to discuss the weather forecasts, using the main theater projector to show us wind and wave prediction images and explain how this would affect our planned itinerary.  Thus when today he announced a major change to the itinerary, everyone understood and accepted it.  ["The ship can handle these conditions, but it would not be comfortable for the passengers."  OK then, let's go to Plan B!]

On 8/25/2019 at 6:17 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Pods are only in the cabins.  The bar in the lounge on deck 3 has a professional espresso machine that the bartender operates, and when I order Cafe au Lait in the dining room it has obviously been made in a professional machine [not quite as good as in my favorite bistro-bar in Paris, but then nothing is! :classic_wink:]

I will do a full review when we get back home, but as a spoiler I will say we are loving this trip.  Backroads makes it even better [especially by taking care of all our shore excursions with more interesting offerings than Ponant has], but everything about the ship has been top notch.  

We are about to experience 3 days of rough weather [and miss one port], so I will later be able to judge how well the ship sails and how well the entertainment staff copes.  So far they seem to be doing very well.  The Captain has held two special meetings to discuss the weather forecasts, using the main theater projector to show us wind and wave prediction images and explain how this would affect our planned itinerary.  Thus when today he announced a major change to the itinerary, everyone understood and accepted it.  ["The ship can handle these conditions, but it would not be comfortable for the passengers."  OK then, let's go to Plan B!]

That is great to hear about the communication with the passengers. I have heard horrible stories about little or no information from crew on ships, let alone the Captain. I can assume that the passengers are less likely to put up a fuss when they are truly informed. Can you describe the room service menu? I will occasionally enjoy a quiet dinner and a bottle of wine on the balcony. I look forward to your review.

• 2 months later...

Ponant Yacht Club is the best loyalty program I've struck. We initially booked 2 cruises, and got our Major status cards before the first cruise - which meant free laundry and some discount at the shop etc on our first cruise with them.

When we then booked 3 more, we were elevated to Admiral for having booked cruises 3 and 4, so got that higher level of discount (7.5%) off the 5th one despite booking all at the same time. We will also have the Admiral level of discounts etc on cruises 3 and 4.

38 minutes ago, kasr said:

Ponant Yacht Club is the best loyalty program I've struck. We initially booked 2 cruises, and got our Major status cards before the first cruise - which meant free laundry and some discount at the shop etc on our first cruise with them.

When we then booked 3 more, we were elevated to Admiral for having booked cruises 3 and 4, so got that higher level of discount (7.5%) off the 5th one despite booking all at the same time. We will also have the Admiral level of discounts etc on cruises 3 and 4.

I have a question about your first cruise.  Admiral status gives you $100 OBC.  My Ponant confirmation shows a $250 "First Cruise Shipboard Credit."  Will I get both?

Also do you know if a pre-cruise extension counts as a 'booking' for Yacht Club status?  That could be the explanation of why they are counting DW and me as Admirals on our first cruise [it's actually our second cruise, but the first was booked through Backroads as a hiking trip so it should count for anything].

On 9/2/2019 at 6:43 PM, Rummblestrip said:

That is great to hear about the communication with the passengers. I have heard horrible stories about little or no information from crew on ships, let alone the Captain. I can assume that the passengers are less likely to put up a fuss when they are truly informed. Can you describe the room service menu? I will occasionally enjoy a quiet dinner and a bottle of wine on the balcony. I look forward to your review.

Done 4 Ponant cruises so far, 3 more coming, and must say communication is great! Certain Captains are actually just "stars" like Captain Garcia (Le Boréal) who might wake you up in the middle of the night to ... listen to some whales!!
Keep also in mind that Ponant has an "Open bridge policy" so you can just walk in and ask your questions 😉 Except of course when docking or during crew meetings.
Must confess I haven't tried room service yet but I guess during dining hours you can order from the main dining room menu?

On 9/2/2019 at 12:43 PM, Rummblestrip said:

44 minutes ago, AdrienH said:

Done 4 Ponant cruises so far, 3 more coming, and must say communication is great! Certain Captains are actually just "stars" like Captain Garcia (Le Boréal) who might wake you up in the middle of the night to ... listen to some whales!!
Keep also in mind that Ponant has an "Open bridge policy" so you can just walk in and ask your questions 😉 Except of course when docking or during crew meetings.
Must confess I haven't tried room service yet but I guess during dining hours you can order from the main dining room menu?

We didn't do room service either.

5 hours ago, Fighterone said:

Wow!  DH need a stopper to soak some delicates in woolite. Any idea of the size needed? Thanks Jazzbeau!

DW says it's worse than I thought:  there is a plug in place, but it can't be lowered to stop the drain – and you can't remove the plug either.  So you couldn't bring a plug that fits in, and the flat rubber circles wouldn't seal with that big lump of a plug raising up the middle.  They clearly don't want you sealing the drain – probably to prevent overflows.

She did manage to wash delicates, but only by keeping the water flowing the entire time. :classic_ohmy:

30 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

DW says it's worse than I thought:  there is a plug in place, but it can't be lowered to stop the drain – and you can't remove the plug either.  So you couldn't bring a plug that fits in, and the flat rubber circles wouldn't seal with that big lump of a plug raising up the middle.  They clearly don't want you sealing the drain – probably to prevent overflows.

She did manage to wash delicates, but only by keeping the water flowing the entire time. :classic_ohmy:

Glad you told us! Now we are prepared, LOL! I had already packed the dry rubber circle. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2019 at 1:55 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Just a detail I very much appreciated your bringing to our attention: you  mentioned that "the flat rubber circles wouldn't seal with that big lump of a plug". I brought one anyway.  Hubby just unscrewed the plug and removed it. We were then able to seal the drain with the rubber circle so we could soak our delicates for a few minutes. Thank you for that tip, Host Jazzbeau.