A Lousy Photo Becomes Interesting

Oakman58

A lousy photo becomes more interesting, but still lousy.  As we cruised into Glacier Bay National Park in the early morning I was on our balcony having coffee and looking for wildlife.  One of the distant rock islands we passed had a rocky outcropping that looked interesting.  Looking through my binoculars I spotted a couple of seals on that outcropping so I grabbed my camera, zoomed in and took a few pictures.  Because of the early morning light, the fact that the camera was fully zoomed (50X), and I was on a moving ship, the three pictures I took didn't turn out the way I wanted.  I considered the pictures to be throwaways.  My biggest excuse for not getting a good photo is I hadn't even finished my first cup of coffee.  I don't function properly until my 3rd cup.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.  😁

This morning I decided to see if I could make the picture of those two seals look a little better using my photo editor.  What I discovered was I had taken a photo of a lot of seals, they were sleeping on the rocks in the background.  What a surprise.  Because of the early morning light and how far away the island was I didn't notice those sleeping seals in the background with either the binoculars or my camera.  Here are the before and after pictures.

image.thumb.jpeg.e94b4593741ee7b84daf592587df9974.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c10c19af9784ed0d6e9b856f70e28e66.jpeg

• Like 2

I would say that the new photo is less lousy but it certainly is not good.  If it was mine, I would delete it unless it is the only photo of seals on rocks that you have.  That said,  I would like to see a histogram of the photo.  You might be able to get a bit more detail as it is usually easier to get detail out of underexposed photos than overexposed ones.  Give it a try.

DON