Local Port Jealousy...anyone else?

TPgal

It’s been an odd summer. Usually we are pretty sunny and warm. Our first ever cruise was out of Seattle. We took a 30 minute ferry and walked down the the pier. It was glorious. I’m horribly jealous of anyone that live in the Florida port areas!! 🤣🤣

• Like 3

1 minute ago, shof515 said:

I am about about 45 minutes away from the Manhattan cruise terminal.

Seattle cruises go to Alaska, and...Alaska. We went once and will go again to experience a larger ship, but I have port envy for FL and NYC.   (We are booked on a Canada cruise next year from the MCT.  We will yell to you.  )

• Like 1

I'm just outside of San Francisco which is a surprisingly small cruise port in terms of volume. Currently, we can do Alaska, Panama, Hawaii, Mexican Riviera and Costal cruises. A nice variety, but not many options in terms of available lines -- mostly Princess.

Every time I cross the Bay Bridge and see a ship down at Pier 27, a small bit of jealousy creeps in, I suppose.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TPgal said:

Today we zipped across the Puget Sound and got an epic look at the Bliss.  Folks were already on their balcony ready for their cruise to Alaska.  I mentioned to my DH that I was jealous.   Does this happen to others who live in port cities?  

It used to sometimes...quite a few years ago...

Not anymore.

We live single-digit minutes away from Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale), the envy of our relatives in the northeast...

Have to say, cruising (and South Florida in general) has gotten a bit old for us.

Upon retirement, we're outta here...

But we still love watching the cruise ships sail out and regularly go to the restaurant on our local pier to watch them! There IS something magical about cruise travel--even if we're now kind of over it...

• Like 1

Being about halfway between Seattle and Vancouver, BC, I am always wanting to look at ships. Worse than that, I am also a TA and have toured just about all the ships coming into port in the Pacific Northwest this summer. I am constantly looking for somewhere to stowaway. I even book those crazy one day cruises just to get my fix. 

• Like 2

I know exactly how the OP feels.  My workplace has moved and the staff room now looks onto ships in port.  Thankfully it is only a couple of days of the week during the summer.  It gives me huge cruise-envy.  I need to have a cruise booked in order to overcome it - in one month I will be in Venice and off the the Greek Islands 🙂.   

• Like 1

YES, but LONG DISTANCE port envy!!!

Our daughter works in Hoboken right next to the Hudson & LOVES to send us messaging pix of NCL ships as they sail down river on their departures.  It's usually with a "Don't you wish you were aboard...." or something along those lines message.  Makes me WAY jealous!!  😫

Fortunately most NCL sailings depart NYC on Saturday/Sunday when she's not working!  🤑

Edited by tomk3212
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Robinsoncruiseso said:

I even book those crazy one day cruises just to get my fix. 

We've been looking at those from Seattle but worry that the whole day will be filled with lines (lines to get on, lines to get off, lines to get to the airport in Vancouver, lines to get out of the airport in Seattle....and we've only sailed on NCL, so also wonder if the HA experience would be fun, or is it old people.  ;)

I do suppose for a 1 day you don't need much stuff, a change of undergarments and a breathmint.  That could make all the line standing easier. 

11 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I know exactly how the OP feels.  My workplace has moved and the staff room now looks onto ships in port.  Thankfully it is only a couple of days of the week during the summer.  It gives me huge cruise-envy.  I need to have a cruise booked in order to overcome it - in one month I will be in Venice and off the the Greek Islands 🙂.   

Darn it, now I'm jealous of this.  👆

• Haha 1

I first thought this post was about those who live far away from a port being jealous of those who live nearby. Yes, that's me! No last minute trips for me, unless I also find an amazing deal on a last minute flight or two. We live no where near any port! I would love to see the ships come in and going out, while I dream about my next trip. I saw a Disney ship in the San Diego port a while back and it was so exiting! Yeah, I'm a dork!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sauer-kraut said:

Yes, I have major port envy......

This is what we have UGH!

ct-xpm-2013-10-01-ct-biz-1001-port-talks

Ok, that made me laugh.  I looked it up and there are some very nice CGI graphics of a potential port, but for now, that sad ship remains.   It seems like the Navy Pier is where the money is at for Chicago. 

12 hours ago, tomk3212 said:

YES, but LONG DISTANCE port envy!!!

Our daughter works in Hoboken right next to the Hudson & LOVES to send us messaging pix of NCL ships as they sail down river on their departures.  It's usually with a "Don't you wish you were aboard...." or something along those lines message.  Makes me WAY jealous!!  😫

Fortunately most NCL sailings depart NYC on Saturday/Sunday when she's not working!  🤑

DD and SIL live  in Hoboken..They watch ships pass by from their condo all the time. This past Saturday we were  there for a visit. Went to the pier where the food trucks are set up for an ice cream. Sure enough around 3:15 the Dawn sailed right by. Made me way jealous too !!! 

I take the skytrain downtown to Canada Place and see what ships are in ...sometimes I want to throw rocks at them sitting all nice on the balconies lol ...But most of the time I wave and yell have a great trip ...

• Like 1