A Carnival Diamond does NCL

raynvic

32 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I've never seen a lower base fare for selecting no perks, it's always been the same fare that's charged for the perks. It might be different if you call but if I'm not seeing a difference on my computer screen I'm not likely to call.

I see them all the time but they are guarantee staterooms. If you don't want a guarantee I don't see an option for lower base fares. Maybe if you call they could do something but I have never tried it as I don't sail NCL that often.

22 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I see them all the time but they are guarantee staterooms. If you don't want a guarantee I don't see an option for lower base fares. Maybe if you call they could do something but I have never tried it as I don't sail NCL that often.

That makes sense because we don't look at those rates at all (we selected a guarantee cabin for our first cruise and didn't care for it much so we've never booked one again).

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

If you don't want the extras, there is always a base fare without the service fees and packages listed as an alternative.  NCL does advertise and push their packages heavily, so sometimes you actually have to request it.

I can't think of any mass cruise line that doesn't promote the cost added extras, whether it's Carnival pushing its excursions, photos, spa, FTTF or Cheers or Celebrity pushing dining or drink packages  On every line, there is a choice for the cruiser to accept additional services and pay for them or decline the package and add on fee.

It was a compliment (albeit back sided), he markets it extremely well.  We were on the Bliss for the naming ceremony in New York for a 2 night sleepover and he ran a TA session in which he said (my wording) if you sell the base fare instead of the three for free (think they call it something else now) your a fool and go sell something else.  I agree all the lines do it, he just does it better and WAY more than anyone else.  The opportunity for pay on a NCL ship is amazing.  I will not degrade the thread further, but I can go WAY further in argument to back up my claims......that said, for anyone who wants to sail NCL, happy cruising.

Thanks for your perspective! Good info. One thing though:

20 hours ago, raynvic said:

(I did miss my chocolate melting cake with peanut butter.)

I saw this and thought "WHAT?! This is a thing? How did I not know that?!" I'm sooooo doing this on my cruise next month! 🙂 Thanks!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I really have no desire to cruise on NCL. I read reviews, look at photos, and it seems like it would be just another Carnival experience, only more costly and without the perks we get. I actually had a suite booked years ago on NCL and canceled the cruise. I just couldn't see paying that much for a Carnival experience.

Our NCL cruise was one of our best cruises besides Windstar and Star Clippers.  We had a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suite with a butler and a concierge.  We were treated great and the food was wonderful.  

We have only done one Carnival and although it was ok (i have never had a bad cruise) it was my least favorite cruise.