Choosing location of Neptune Suite Holland America

Ellen495

Hello,

I am new to this board (I use tripadvisor a lot) so I'm not sure if this is the right board or if should post on Holland America so please excuse me if I made the wrong choice. I have done a lot of reading here - so I'm not just posting away. I know better.

This is our first cruise other than a small boat in Costa Rica years ago. We chose 7 day round trip from Vancouver after doing a lot of reading on your boards. We are booked on Koningsdam Holland America. They had (we think) a great deal and it is 100% refundable until April so I grabbed it figuring I could make changes.

So we chose the Neptune suite (again after reading a lot of things people wrote here). We are in our early 60's, so we do like to travel more upscale now - though the signature suite might be great enough. The difference in price for 2 is about 1000 (or slightly less) plus it came with 600 on board credit. We got the aft room (I think I know the proper terminology (again - after reading here a lot).  

So 2 questions - for those who have done signature and Neptune - does it seem highly worth it (this is all a matter of opinion - I'm interested in your opinion).

Question 2 - Will aft balcony be much colder than if we were mid-ship? I KNOW it's Alaska and I am a warm weather type. I expect to use a blanket outside and not lie in a bathing suit - I know better. But if you tell me the aft will be the coldest area, I will switch.

Thank you for your help - or for sending me to another part of the board if appropriate.

Cheers,

Ellen

Philadelphia Pa

Yes, posting on the HAL board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/103-holland-america-line/

would have been more appropriate.

We have only sailed in Neptune Suites (12 HAL cruises, actually 2 in the Penthouse Suite), so we obviously think they have value for us. We like the space and the perks. But that means absolutely nothing to your values, desires and needs.

We just had an aft Neptune Suite for 14 days in Alaska in June. I doubt the temp was any different there than in any of the other Neptune Suites. Not sure why it would be. If it is cold, it is cold all along the ship.

I sailed many years in aft neptune suites until I became a solo cruiser and no longer needing the room.  An aft stateroom will be much warmer because it is out of the wind.

There are a number of pluses for aft neptune suites:

• You can enjoy your verandah without wind while the ship is moving which means you can dine on your verandah while others cannot.
  • Room Service is just a short elevator ride up from the kitchen which means food will be hot whne received.
  • You are a short elevator ride up to the fabulous Tamarind Restaurant as well as the Lido Market buffet.
  • You are a short elevator ride down to the Main Dining Room.
  • Your 270-degree photographic view is amazing, down one complete side of the ship as well as across the back of the ship.
  • There is very littel foot traffic outside the aft staterooms.
  • Your verandah can hold lots of your friends.
  • You can enjoy Glacier Bay without leaving your verandah which means you can use your own bathroom, your own minibar beverages, and pop into your staterrom to get warm without losing your spot at the outer deck railings like the other passengers.

Wow thank you . A thread on the HAL board says the shower is awful however ( Koningsdam). They say it’s too short. I guess one can’t have everything . Your description is so fabulous thank you so much.

7 hours ago, Ellen495 said:

Wow thank you . A thread on the HAL board says the shower is awful however ( Koningsdam). They say it’s too short. I guess one can’t have everything . Your description is so fabulous thank you so much.

I was not in a Neptune Suite on the Konigsdam but just two staterooms away on the aft.  I didn't think the shower was too short in my stateroom but it was a little too close to the toilet.

The Neptune Lounge Concierge will take good care of you and all of your needs.  FWIW when you use your stateroom key to enter the lounge, your photo pops up on their computer screen so don't be surprised if they greet you by name the first time they see you.

Here is a link to my photo review of the Konigsdam to give you an idea of what to expect:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-konigsdam-on-board

1 hour ago, Ellen495 said:

I need a password - it says - to see your pictures. THANK YOU.

Someone else said that I can bring my daughter to the special dining for 35 dollars a day pp? Do you know? THANKS

I fixed the links so you can see the images. 

"Club Orange perks will be included for passengers in Neptune and Pinnacle Suite categories, and the program will be available to purchase for a small number of non-suite staterooms on each sailing at a commissionable $50 per day premium for the first two guests in the room (both are required to purchase; no charge for thirds and fourths). "

There is no requirement for you to eat in Club Orange for breakfast and dinner with the same menu (exception is an additional steak) available to all other passengers.  You can eat with your daughter in the Main Dining Room every night and spend the savings on a fabulous Sel de Mer seafood dinner.  Most passengers, when offered the option to pay for Club Orange, have declined.  Paying $50/day for your daughter to eat with you (her friend will also be charged the same $50) is a decision to be made.  For a 7-day cruise that means $750 increase in total fare costs.

For breakfast you can host your daughter in your large stateroom, or perhaps on your verandah, using Room Service.  As previously posted, you are a short elevator ride from the Room Service kitchen so your food will be perfect temperature and should arrive within 1-2 minutes of your requested time.  Here is the FREE Room Service menu for Neptune Suites:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Room-Service-Breakfast-PSNeptune-Suites.pdf

What great info! And I don’t eat meat so the steak is a non issue. Can I get room service free for all of us.?  Sounds great except the shower that is supposed to be bad. We never cruised before other than a super small shop to Costa Rica which I disliked and I am a warm weather do it yourself vacation planner... but this seemed right for Alaska. I don’t want to go one way and hike in cold parks. We plan to spend 4 or 5 days in Vancouver instead. Thanks for the pictures. You’re oh so kind.

ellen 

1 hour ago, Ellen495 said:

What great info! And I don’t eat meat so the steak is a non issue. Can I get room service free for all of us.?  Sounds great except the shower that is supposed to be bad. We never cruised before other than a super small shop to Costa Rica which I disliked and I am a warm weather do it yourself vacation planner... but this seemed right for Alaska. I don’t want to go one way and hike in cold parks. We plan to spend 4 or 5 days in Vancouver instead. Thanks for the pictures. You’re oh so kind.

ellen 

With the exception of items from the Specialty Restaurants, all Room Service is free.  On the breakfast card, you can indicate as many guests as you wish.  Here is the Room Service menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Room-Service-and-Breakfast-Card.pdf

FWIW The Neptune Lounge Conceirage can arrange to have your Main Dining Room evening meal served in your suite for you and guests at no extra charge.  This meal will be served course by course by a dedicated waiter with a tip to your dedicated waiter being optional.  White table cloth and table is provided.  The meal can also be served on your veranadah if you wish.  If you don't want the dedicated waiter or tablecloth, the meal will be delivered to your stateroom in one delivery.

16 minutes ago, Ellen495 said:

That’s quite awesome! I would think it would be quire cold to eat outside in Alaska! The inside pool looked like it was outside in the picture. Nice looking but not real correct? 

The mid ship pool has a roof that can be opened or closed. So, if the roof was open, it was a nice day.

There are days in Alaska that can be in the 70s, even 80s. Anchorage (not a common cruise stop) hit the 90s for a couple days this year. Not every day is cold.

2 hours ago, Ellen495 said:

That’s quite awesome! I would think it would be quire cold to eat outside in Alaska! The inside pool looked like it was outside in the picture. Nice looking but not real correct? 

The indoor pool is also the movie theater at night when most of the lounge chairs are turned toward the giant screen and popcorn is available.  I am not sure how this will work in Alaska when sunset is 9:30 PM and it is not very dark around the indoor pool.

Edited by Crew News

While we love the Neptunes (especially the aft-wrap cabins), we are perfectly fine with the Signature Suites.

First, thee really is not alot of difference size wise (IMO).  I would guess about 20-25%  smaller.  For 2 people, there is still PLENTY of room.

Second, while you do get some nice perks with the Neptune, you obviously pay for them in a much higher fare.  Are they worth it? - Only you can answer that.

Third, when we book a Signature, we often (not always of course) get an upsell offer from HAL to move up to a Neptune for a very reasonable fee (varies of course).  Best of both worlds this way!

Fourth, since you are traveling with others who are not in Neptunes (I assume), it makes it harder to take advantage of some of the perks (like the Neptune Lounge, Club Orange, special Neptune only cocktail party, VIP tendering) without excluding them.

So, in your case, I would take the Signature and keep an eye out for an upsell offer.

• Like 1