Drinks etc Wine packages

breezer1955

New cruises to HAL, having done a few River cruises.  I have looked right through and not sure if my question has been answered.  There are 3 of us in one room.  We understand about the signature drinks packages that if one has it all 3 have to.  As 1 of the 3  doesn't drink that much its not worth it.   Two of us are looking at the wine packages.  If for example I have a wine package can i share that wine with my sister or do I have to drink it all myself.  Not that that is a problem.  Can we have our wine in our room?  So many questions going through our heads.  We are so used to river cruise where the drinks are included..._ all day and night.    We are going on Hal to the Baltic in July next year.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

If you have a wine package or are just ordering individual bottles you can share it with anyone you want who is over the legal drinking age**.  Yes you can have it in your room or any restaurant or bar.  Have a great cruise! 

** From "Know Before You Go" on HAL website:

.."Alcoholic beverages will not be served to guests under age 21. However, effective on voyages commencing July 1. 2016 and thereafter, the legal drinking age onboard will be 18 for voyages which depart from and return to Europe, China, Hong Kong, Singapore or Taiwan, and the legal drinking age onboard will be 20 for voyages which depart from and return to Japan.

For voyages that depart from and return to Australia and/or New Zealand, these policies and the legal drinking age apply to guests 18 years or over. "

Edited by oakridger
Added info

3 hours ago, breezer1955 said:

do I have to drink it all myself?

And in one night!!  Haha just joking!

Just remember 'Sharing is caring, but the wine is mine!' 🍷😍

Seriously though, you can share with anyone you want to share with!  Enjoy!

• Like 2

Another tip: If you enjoy a particular wine before dinner, you can always have one of your bottles sent to your favorite pre-dinner lounge. They'll store it for you, labeled with your name and sealed with a vacuum stopper if you want to spread it out over a few days. (I'd try to finish it within 3 days of opening for the sake of freshness.) 

Alternately, you can have your bottle sent to a bar, have it opened there and then take the remainder to your dinner table with you. That way you can make more of a dent* in the bottle. It also makes for faster service at dinner since your "walking wine" will arrive at the table when you do.  Once you purchase a wine package, it's yours to do with as you wish. You can share it with anyone you desire.

* - Editor's Note: Liquids don't actually dent, nor does the bottle.

• Like 2

Another reason to wait until one goes to the dining room the first night to purchase a wine package is that the wine steward gets credit for what you purchase, and they appreciate that, of course. We've ordered ours online before the cruise and then realized that wasn't the best idea.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your tips.  I don't think we will get it pre cruise, book it on the day.  These tips you have given us has been very good thank you.  Doubt a bottle of wine will go over two days lol.  We might even let our non drinking (she does drink but not as much as us and she won't buy a bottle package ) have 100 ml lol.  

In case you are interested in what’s available I got this list on Amsterdam last week.  You could also ask if there are any additional wines in your package that are not on the list.  Sometimes there are changes. 

2B0D3A40-61BD-411D-8374-477A0DA22E07.thumb.jpeg.72a7aab0ebc4c1051667cd8ecb426b6b.jpeg82996A3D-0BF8-4737-8791-7D19143C86A8.thumb.jpeg.c273037192368d96393c1b4a237bf06b.jpegCBF7FE86-1B51-41F0-A077-CD23A75EC407.thumb.jpeg.f8dae730e6f7755a8e07cc0ec14af0f3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Which one is your favourite, Lonny?  We enjoyed the merlot and the carmenere, and we could demolish a pinot grigio at dinner easily, but I know you prefer the reds...

We like the malbec in package #2.

Anne:  The Columbia Crest Merlot.  If we have the same list on the 2020GWV and the 4* discount, I may order five 8 bottle packages.

Lonny

On 8/16/2019 at 2:57 AM, breezer1955 said:

New cruises to HAL, having done a few River cruises.  I have looked right through and not sure if my question has been answered.  There are 3 of us in one room.  We understand about the signature drinks packages that if one has it all 3 have to.  As 1 of the 3  doesn't drink that much its not worth it.   Two of us are looking at the wine packages.  If for example I have a wine package can i share that wine with my sister or do I have to drink it all myself.  Not that that is a problem.  Can we have our wine in our room?  So many questions going through our heads.  We are so used to river cruise where the drinks are included..._ all day and night.    We are going on Hal to the Baltic in July next year.

Also you might want to take advantage of bringing 2 bottles of your own wine onboard with you. 

1 hour ago, mame42 said:

Anne:  The Columbia Crest Merlot.  If we have the same list on the 2020GWV and the 4* discount, I may order five 8 bottle packages.

Lonny

Check what is available beforehand, Lonny.  On the Grand SA and Antarctica they had much larger packages available at better discounts.  (On line or in that little booklet they send you with your "stuff".)

33 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Check what is available beforehand, Lonny.  On the Grand SA and Antarctica they had much larger packages available at better discounts.  (On line or in that little booklet they send you with your "stuff".)

Thanks, Anne.  Will do.