Getting to Denali?

rentlady

Is a rental car not an option ?  It would give you more flexibility plus the ability to stop for other sights and wildlife along the way.  It's an easy drive .... a 2 lane hwy for most of the trip so impossible to get lost.

Otherwise the Park Connection Bus has 2 runs per day out of Anchorage :

6:30am - 12:30pm

3pm - 8:30pm

https://www.alaskacoach.com/schedule/

If you're disembarking in Whittier you could take the Park Connection Bus from Whittier to Anc,  then on to Denali, but it would make for a long day (11hrs) almost . Best to stay over a night in Anchorage.

Edited by mapleleaves

My suggestion (and experience in August) is to rent a car.  One night near the Park's entrance, the Tundra Wilderness Tour (or another longer one) the next day, another night at your hotel with a drive back to Anchorage the next day.  

There is train service to Denali, but you will need transportation from/to the train station, transportation to the NPS Building where the tours start and return.  Having our own car made things much more simple and provides the flexibility to seek dining options that are better than some of the ones that are in that touristy area near the Park.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 12:29 PM, rkacruiser said:

the Tundra Wilderness Tour (or another longer one) the next day,

While I agree with the rental car suggestion, don't do the Tundra Wilderness Tour. Use the shuttle buses. Same road, same views, much cheaper and it goes further into the park if you go to the Eielson Visitor Center: https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKStafford said:

While I agree with the rental car suggestion, don't do the Tundra Wilderness Tour. Use the shuttle buses. Same road, same views, much cheaper and it goes further into the park if you go to the Eielson Visitor Center: https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

My Nephews have done the shuttle buses, but, the commentary offered along the way varied in quality and quantity, they said.  (One Nephew is an Alaskan resident and has done this more than once.)  My trip was a one-time event; I won't be doing it again.  I wanted quality commentary and that is what I received.  The 8 hour tour fit my ability to enjoy the tour.  Any longer, and,  in my younger days, I probably would have booked such a length of a tour, would have been enjoyable, but as a Senior Citizen whose each succeeding trip becomes a bit more challenging than the last one, the Tundra Wilderness Tour was appropriate for me.

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My Nephews have done the shuttle buses, but, the commentary offered along the way varied in quality and quantity, they said.  (One Nephew is an Alaskan resident and has done this more than once.)  My trip was a one-time event; I won't be doing it again.  I wanted quality commentary and that is what I received.  The 8 hour tour fit my ability to enjoy the tour.  Any longer, and,  in my younger days, I probably would have booked such a length of a tour, would have been enjoyable, but as a Senior Citizen whose each succeeding trip becomes a bit more challenging than the last one, the Tundra Wilderness Tour was appropriate for me.

It completely depends on your driver. We did the transit bus with a switch to a different bus heading back out. Both drivers were excellent on commentary, knowledge and attitude. One was an experienced hand while the other was a new guy (3 weeks into the season). All of the drivers will depend on the riders to help spot wildlife so they can make stops along the way. Our experience mirrors what I've read here on cc the 10 months we researched our cruise.

• 5 weeks later...

Princess has a ton of combinations for their land excursions some of which travel by bus others by train.  The train actually is preferred by many (us included) and was a smooth, easy ride with dining facilities onboard (very good food), full narration as well.  If you decide a train is ok, I would recommend paying up a bit for their Goldstar level.  The seats are super comfortable and cabin attendant very attentive.  The views are great in the dome cars.  

Denali is not about any tour or commentary.  It’s about distance.  The farther you go the more you see.    Simple.  So I’m also a supporter of not paying triple costs for fixed transportation-  if you have a car.   My minimum distance is Eielson.    

On 8/19/2019 at 10:51 PM, rkacruiser said:

The Eielson Shuttle is similar in length. To what you took.  And in my opinion it’s a LOT nicer getting to Eielson with running water and flush toilets. Along with seating for lunch.   Since you mentioned “senior citizen “.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Along with seating for lunch.   Since you mentioned “senior citizen “.   

We were on the 6:40 A. M. TWT.  Hasty, skimpy breakfast; no lunch other than a very light snack purchased at the concession in the Park Headquarters when we returned from the tour.  My Nephew and I were ready for a great dinner which we had at 49th State Brewing Company in Healy.