Onboard Scuba Certification

Has anyone done the onboard PADI certification? Was planning on doing it here in tampa sometime beforehand but I came across this one and thought it might be fun to do on my symphony of the seas cruise next year. I'm just curious as to the details like how much time on board it takes, how much time in port, etc. Any help would be great. 

My wife did it on Allure.  Very early morning classes.  Additional study time.  Takes a lot of time away from the vacation.  If she had to do it again, she would have done it before the cruise.

• Like 1

do some research

this has been discussed many times here and in the 'scuba' section

in the past this offering from RCL was for SCUBA DIVER certification only .... what you probably want is OPEN WATER DIVER ... see PADI.COM (while SCUBA DIVER is technically a subset of OPEN WATER DIVER, good luck finding a place to get training to cover the difference <PADI lists no such course so you may end up having to repeat some costs>)

Today there is little on board 'course work', rather you are told how to access PADI ONLINE TRAINING and are expected to have completed this b4 the cruise .. there is a test and if you don't pass .....  btw this is how much training is done now a days.  You cab get certified OPEN WATER in a weekend (a trip to the Keys???)  One does the on line course work then arranges for the checkout dives int he Keys.  Open Water required 4 check out dives and only TWO can happen in one day, hence two diving days required.

I looked into doing PADI open water cert on board a cruise last year. I would have done it but there was insufficient info on the website to sign up. When I called RCI the person I talked to gave me incorrect information.   I ended up doing the classroom/pool section of the class at home in January and then doing the 4 open water certification dives on a cruise in February through private dive shops. Two in Curacao and two in Aruba as referral dives.  Most dive shops will do referral dives for you. 

Edited by mac66

On 8/19/2019 at 9:16 AM, hotsauce126 said:

Has anyone done the onboard PADI certification? Was planning on doing it here in tampa sometime beforehand but I came across this one and thought it might be fun to do on my symphony of the seas cruise next year. I'm just curious as to the details like how much time on board it takes, how much time in port, etc. Any help would be great. 

I would recommend doing it in advance.  It will take a LOT of your vacation.  Typically a local dive shop will handle the classes in a couple configurations, but the most common is a Weekend course.  You will go on Friday from 6-10ish being all book work.  You will com back Saturday 8ish and continue the book work (Dive tables, scuba terms, etc) for most of the day.  You typically will do some lite pool work this day as well.  Sunday will be all pool work, and the final test.  You will practice all your water skills (Giant Stride, take off and clearing mask underwater, Safe descent and ascent, sharing air, using gauges, etc).

Once this weekend is completed you will then need 4 checkout dives.  On these dives you will be with a divemaster on a real dive (Lake, Quarry, River, Ocean).  You will again have to demonstrate all your skill in a real life scenario.  These dives build a lot of confidence that you understand the skills and can use them.  It will make your cruise diving much more comfortable.

Diving is an AMAZING hobby.  It can be fairly expensive, but is 100% worth the cost.  You are exploring a part of the work, and seeing things that most people only dream of.  The feeling of being under water is so freeing.  Good luck in your scuba journey.  I wish you all the best in whatever path you choose.  Dive Happy!!

6&8