LUGGAGE DROP OFF AT PIER

arl_nocaps

As retired airline folks who often fly standby, we travel as light as possible.  Travelpro rollaboards that fit in the overhead, plus fabby Briggs and Riley Baseline personal item bags for under the seat.  We carry a set of collapsible wheels when we have to check the rollaboards, so then we can wheel both the smaller bags around as one compact unit.  For short trips (up to a week) we have smaller half size Travelpro mini rollaboards.   

Edited by don731
Add wording

On 8/19/2019 at 7:11 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

In general, full 22" bags are far too big for an international carry-on (i.e., weight if full).

Our Oceania cruises are, minimally, several weeks to more than a month (plus pre/post cruise land visits.  However, we pack for 10 day "laundry segments"

Our checked bags are 29" "Travel Pros" that can fit in most town car trunks (for transfers) and just make it under Oceania beds for storage.

Our carry-ons are small under-seat sized Travel Pros, which hold valuables/electronics/meds and one night emergency toiletries/"all purpose" change of clothing.

Thus, the carry-ins are easy to keep with us (and out of the way of other cruisers) while we wait for cabin availability on embarkation day. They also allow for stowage (atop them) of collapsible six pack wine carriers we bring with us for local pre-cruise purchases.

IMO, get small carry-ons.

What is your preferred wine carrier?  Just the cloth bags from the local supermarket? Cheers!

6 minutes ago, don731 said:

What is your preferred wine carrier?  Just the cloth bags from the local supermarket? Cheers!

For air travel where we will purchase wine at the embarkation port, we use sturdy, light weight collapsible cardboard carriers that we get from various wineries here in NorCal. They come in sizes from 2-6 bottles. We toss them at the end of the trip since they cost zip and will be replaced on our next winery visit. 

AdobePhotoshopExpress_2018_09_25_07:58:14.jpg

10 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

I think you are correct in your analysis.  But I'm confused by folks who refer to "Customs" inspection.  On outbound travel,  isn't it TSA who does the inspections, not Customs, and if you have a TSA-approved lock, it has a key.

I believe  the bags GOING on to the ship are just scanned by security people  no TSA involved

I do not know for sure as I have never gone behind the scenes at the port

Even TSA at airports  are too lazy to get the proper key to open TSA locks  so bolt cutters  usually are faster

JMO

8 hours ago, StanandJim said:

It can only have been your innate shyness which prevented your commenting on the difference, yourself. 

🤣

A battle I fight every day 🙂 

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I believe  the bags GOING on to the ship are just scanned by security people  no TSA involved

I do not know for sure as I have never gone behind the scenes at the port

Even TSA at airports  are too lazy to get the proper key to open TSA locks  so bolt cutters  usually are faster

JMO

Yes, I agree it could have been a security firm rather than TSA.  I've only embarked from a US port only once and didn't take notice.  But Customs doesn't work outgoing travel as far as I know.  I'll look more closely on our December CA coastal cruise to satisfy my curiosity.

On 8/23/2019 at 4:08 PM, clo said:

I must be mis-understanding something.  Why would there be US Customs when leaving the US?

Customs has both inbound and outbound search authority on international flights and voyages.  Outbound searches are usually conducted for money laundering and illegal export purposes.  If locks were cut, or luggage opened and searched with negative results, there should have been CBP or ICE tape or some kind of placard left on or in whatever was searched informing you of the search. 

Ditto with TSA.  They have the same responsibility and authority at seaports as they do at airports.  They even conduct random operations at a river ferry crossing here in the Jacksonville area.

• Like 1

OP

to answer your question, you will be responsible for your carry on when you board ship until your cabin category has been announced as being ready for occupation. 

the last thing the cabin attendants need while stripping beds and thoroughly cleaning your room is to try and work around dropped off luggage. 

So yes, you will wheel around your carry on stuff to Waves or Terrace or wherever you decide to stay until that all important announcement has been made.  (If it is a Carib cruise, I have been known to stick a swim suit and cover up in the carry on and go to the pool area until announcements have been made)