Exactly what IS included in the Haven?

chill6x6

3 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Our Haven kids disaster was on a Feb 24th sailing...  And 1 out of 3 for you sounds like a high risk of "not worth it."  Why would anyone want to gamble with their vacation when the odds are so high of having annoying kids around to make the Haven not such a haven?

Considering they were not ships with a fully useable adult sun deck, I would agree with you if I thought of going on one of them again. But even if there are a couple of them on the Bliss, there is plenty of other adult space with hot tubs to retreat to. That makes it well worth the odds for me. 

As someone who cruises with my kids,  (mostly well behaved, but they are kids and they do get excited easily).

I can tell you my kids are much more behaved that a lot of the "adults" we have seen on cruises.

I also like the person who posted "I'll join them".  Don't knock it until you try it,  kids are carefree and fun loving, and mine love talking to adults.  Some adults need more carefree and fun loving time - maybe dislodge the big stick they got implanted years ago..🙂

• Like 3

We were on the Escape mid-July and there were quite a few kids in the Haven, of all ages, but you wouldn't have known it.  When they were there they were very well behaved and closer to late afternoon, the pool area generally emptied (naptime 🙂?) so it was even more quiet. No crying, screaming, whining from the kids - or the adults, lol.  

Don't let that keep you from booking the Haven.  Bidding on it was the best choice we could have ever made because it was beyond our expectations and will be the way we cruise with NCL going forward.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 2:14 PM, GA Dave said:

The pictures I posted were from the Getaway.  We were in 16710, a Haven Courtyard Penthouse suite, and loved it so much that we are doing the same exact cabin next year for our 10-day Med cruise!

Great pictures GA Dave-question for you-The getaway does not have a retractable roof-correct?? If that being the case-how windy is it there on sea days?? I'm also thinking it would be the luck of the draw with mother nature if she chooses to rain on your parade.😉

5 minutes ago, Debde said:

Great pictures GA Dave-question for you-The getaway does not have a retractable roof-correct?? If that being the case-how windy is it there on sea days?? I'm also thinking it would be the luck of the draw with mother nature if she chooses to rain on your parade.😉

It does not have a roof.  However, only the overhead portion is open to the airstream, so it was not windy at all on sea days.  The front of the Haven Courtyard area is not open to the front of the ship, so there isn't a big breeze.  It is open to rain, but we did not see any rain the entire week we were on the ship.

Capture.JPG

3 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

It does not have a roof.  However, only the overhead portion is open to the airstream, so it was not windy at all on sea days.  The front of the Haven Courtyard area is not open to the front of the ship, so there isn't a big breeze.  It is open to rain, but we did not see any rain the entire week we were on the ship.

Thank you and also for the pic. Thinking of booking the ship when she gets to NOLA. ⚜️ nice to know it won't be too windy.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nu2cruise'13 said:

As someone who cruises with my kids,  (mostly well behaved, but they are kids and they do get excited easily).

I can tell you my kids are much more behaved that a lot of the "adults" we have seen on cruises.

I also like the person who posted "I'll join them".  Don't knock it until you try it,  kids are carefree and fun loving, and mine love talking to adults.  Some adults need more carefree and fun loving time - maybe dislodge the big stick they got implanted years ago..🙂

Love this post. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Here is a good picture of what is at the front of the Haven Courtyard area.  Basically, at least two stories of wall to keep the wind out.

untitled.png

I love your pictures; it's very clear that the retractable roof was open when you were there.   It's my understanding that in most cases the roof is closed.   Was that your experience?

18 minutes ago, TPgal said:

I love your pictures; it's very clear that the retractable roof was open when you were there.   It's my understanding that in most cases the roof is closed.   Was that your experience?

TPgal this picture is of the Getaway, which like the Epic, has no roof over the courtyard.  Breakaway, Escape, Bliss and Joy are mega ships with retractable roofs. My experience has been they rarely open them.

1 minute ago, aero777 said:

TPgal this picture is of the Getaway, which like the Epic, has no roof over the courtyard.  Breakaway, Escape, Bliss and Joy are mega ships with retractable roofs. My experience has been they rarely open them.

Thank you,  I knew it must be something like that.   The "lack of retraction" is disappointing as we booked the Haven (Breakaway) with our DD a (terrible, awful, unemployed 9 year old) and I'm a delicate flower who needs sunshine while on vacation.  But... we'll be on vacation and that is never a bad thing.  Counting the days...

• Haha 1

On 8/22/2019 at 12:34 AM, sverigecruiser said:

2. Outside bar which the Haven doesn't have.

What are the options for drinks? Going down a level and inside for drinks or do they provide ample waitstaff? 

It takes at least 20 mins when sitting by the main pool, but will the service improve when sitting in the Haven?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

What are the options for drinks? Going down a level and inside for drinks or do they provide ample waitstaff? 

It takes at least 20 mins when sitting by the main pool, but will the service improve when sitting in the Haven?

Since we used VIBE I can't really answer your question. Going down a level is one option. I'm sure that waitstaff walk up and take drink orders but I don't know how often they do it. 

12 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

They had wait staff circulating around both the pool deck and the sun deck when we were there.  Never an issue getting a drink.  The gentleman on the left in this picture was one of the waiters and he was excellent, as were the bartenders.

IMG_1581.JPG

Edited by GA Dave
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

Service on the sun deck is sporadic at best and non existent most of the time. I’ve seen people dripping wet from the pool/hot tubs ordering drinks at the bar in the Haven lounge.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Since we used VIBE I can't really answer your question. Going down a level is one option. I'm sure that waitstaff walk up and take drink orders but I don't know how often they do it. 

I’m confused why you answered.

46 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

We spent time every day on the Haven sun deck on the Escape two weeks ago.  Both Gil and Curly served us throughout the cruise and they were incredible!  They would either run down to the Haven bar or skip over to the vibe bar to quickly get us our drinks of choice. 

They were running drinks and food around like crazy, and even came around one afternoon with a HUGE tray of shrimp cocktail for everyone who was out.

Not once did we need to get our lazy behinds out of our lounges to get our own drinks!  LOL!

5 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Here is a good picture of what is at the front of the Haven Courtyard area.  Basically, at least two stories of wall to keep the wind out.

untitled.png

We’ve stayed three times in the Getaway Haven. It’s been our experience that on most sea days the courtyard area gets very windy. On two occasions the automatic sliding door from the lounge to the courtyard broke because of the wind. 

58 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

We spent time every day on the Haven sun deck on the Escape two weeks ago.  Both Gil and Curly served us throughout the cruise and they were incredible!  They would either run down to the Haven bar or skip over to the vibe bar to quickly get us our drinks of choice. 

They were running drinks and food around like crazy, and even came around one afternoon with a HUGE tray of shrimp cocktail for everyone who was out.

Not once did we need to get our lazy behinds out of our lounges to get our own drinks!  LOL!

I've found this on all my NCL cruises in the Haven. You made me laugh because my lazy tush never had to get up either as they always seem to check on you. I would often ask the bartender for two to start my laziness on the top decks and they always accommodated me. Even said don't worry-we'll come check on you!! LOL

2 hours ago, Seany527 said:

Before heading up to the sun deck, we stop at the Haven bar with our insulated yeti cups. Dump a few drinks in them and we’re good to go  for an hour or two. The Ice barely melts, so drinks don’t get watered down.

• Like 1

Having spent up to 30 days in the Haven on one cruise and less on others, experience was a mixed bag.  Kids in pool or hot tub screaming and running around. No adults to be found. Overhead on Jewel, common area open to all passengers. They would hang over railing and yell down to us in pool/courtyard . “Must be nice, snooty rich snobs!” We felt like zoo animals and quickly retreated to our cabins. No effort was made to stop this behavior. One really annoying thing, during our cruise, no lounge covers or towels put out for use by Haven members. We had to set up what we wanted each day. Upper sun deck was “shut down “with loungers stacked and strapped even in port. Once in port,  travel agents invited onboard, -you could have knocked me over with a feather. All lounges set out with Haven towel covers. Umbrellas out and beautiful stack of pool towels. It really did look beautiful and inviting. Really felt like false advertising. Wanted to tell travel agents, “this is not what we are allowed during actual cruise”. As soon as they left ship, all was packed away and we never saw it again until we got to Hong Kong. Same thing but this time, we were disembarking. Felt like we were cheated out of our Haven experience. Fellow cruisers were surprised when they questioned us on amenities in Haven.  Most of the time the answer was NO, that is not included.

you experience may be unique to each cruise. Seems to be no set standard . YMMV.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Seany527 said:

I’m confused why you answered.

Why?

You asked me a question and I answered as good as I could. One option is to go down and order at the inside bar. Since we used VIBE I couldn't answer the other part of your question.

I think that when asked a question the polite think is to try to answer or at least say "sorry but I don't know the answer to your question". I did both and can't understand why that is confusing. 

The concierge lounge on HAL is nothing like the Haven.  Nothing on any other ship compares to the Haven.  I left Princess and HAL because of the Haven and never looking back.  I've never had a problem in the private courtyard with misbehaved children and the cruise I just returned from had lots of children.  They were supervised by their parents and our courtyard attendant made a point of making sure the children didn't become wild.  He also saw to our needs all the time and the chairs always had towels on them and the refreshment bar was stocked.  I had bottled water in my room waiting for me.  I think it also depends on the category of suite you book as to the water.   Only thing about the Haven is rude people on the elevator who make comments but who cares.  I will never cruise again on Princess or HAL now that I know about the Haven.  No comparison in my opinion.