NCL daily service charges goes up! what's your cap?

spanishguy1970

7 minutes ago, bmwman said:

Its not a secret at all. I have asked many crew members and most answer the same,

No offense BMWMAN, but over the years here I have seen many cruisers who also have claimed to have "the money talk" with cruise employees and I have seen many different versions of how and how much they are paid.   Many time I believe that they tell passengers shall we say, less than the real truth, most likely working on the sympathy vote to get extra tips.

Personally, I'm not one to tip much extra and just pay the DSC.  I'm in the camp of I really don't give a thought to how much they make anymore than they think about how much I get paid.

13 hours ago, Sweetnspicy said:

I don’t tip housekeeping. I travel a lot for work and don’t tip then either. 

Oh I have always tipped them just no where near $10. I don't think hubby used to tip when he traveled for work. It wasn't as big a deal then as now. We have always tipped at least something even in countries where tipping is not as much expected as in the USA. I do think the resort fees are totally out of line. 

4 hours ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Tips are not tax free.  Also the minimum wage for tipped employees is much lower than the non-tipped minimum wage, although if tips do not make up the difference, the employer must adjust the base wage to do so.

In  Vegas if I remember right, most of the housekeepers are union and the starting salary is around $12 an hour. Otherwise you are right, they work for below min wage. At least the wait staff does. 

I’ve never been one to ask anyone how much they make, because my parents said it was always “inappropriate”.  I agree with them.

But, since it is such a mystery, I get the distinct impression that, as some have mentioned, there is an element of understating wages by crew on cruise ships to elicit more in the way of tips.  

Plus, those who try to estimate how much crew members make, and claim to know how they get those wages based on inaccurate or dubious claims, really have no idea.

Fact is, I HAVE talked to MANY cruise crew members who have been with their particular cruise line for several contracts, covering sometimes decades.  And, they seem to like what they do, otherwise why continue to re-up?

We really don’t know what they make, or how they’re paid, regardless of any claims made in these threads.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

No offense BMWMAN, but over the years here I have seen many cruisers who also have claimed to have "the money talk" with cruise employees and I have seen many different versions of how and how much they are paid.   Many time I believe that they tell passengers shall we say, less than the real truth, most likely working on the sympathy vote to get extra tips.

Personally, I'm not one to tip much extra and just pay the DSC.  I'm in the camp of I really don't give a thought to how much they make anymore than they think about how much I get paid.

I actually agree with your last paragraph.

However with the deepest respect you do not know who I know and who I work for