Atlantic storm Dorian

PelicanBill

2 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I'm in travel insurance limbo here.  When do you think NHC will issue hurricane warnings for Ft. Lauderdale?  I see they're up for the Bahamas.  If NHC does this before my flight is scheduled to leave tomorrow I can recoup those costs if I walk away.  Otherwise insurance says I have to take my scheduled flight and they will reimburse me for all of the extra costs I incur during the 3 days til the ship sails or until the cruise is officially canceled.  

Obviously I'll just eat the costs of the flight over potentially getting stuck in a mess in Ft. Lauderdale, but want some beacon of hope that the timing falls inline so it is covered!

Just wondering I'm supposed to go in NCL Sky tomorrow, in Miami already.  Have no travel insurance.. if you flew ahead of the cruise (with no warning) and trip got cancelled.. would they pay for your hotel and flight.. or you just SOL and had a mini vacation?

4 minutes ago, txfeinbergs said:

Thanks!. I tried waiting on hold for over an hour last night then gave up.

Yup...you and thousands of other people!  They will know who shows up for the cruise.  If after Sept20 you do not get the email, reach out to Royal then and your travel agent if you have one.

Remember, the FCC (future cruise credit) will only be for your cruise fare, not what you paid Royal in total.  What you paid Royal for the cruise also included the port fees & taxes.  You will see the port fees & taxes be refunded to the card that you paid for the cruise.  If you cancel or no show for a cruise this always is refunded.  Anything you pre-purchased will also be refunded.  Usually these come through as separate charges, so make sure you keep track.

1 minute ago, NyYankees2k3 said:

Just wondering I'm supposed to go in NCL Sky tomorrow, in Miami already.  Have no travel insurance.. if you flew ahead of the cruise (with no warning) and trip got cancelled.. would they pay for your hotel and flight.. or you just SOL and had a mini vacation?

With no trip insurance, SOL.  Sometimes if the cruise gets canceled the cruiseline will offer some compensation for flight change fees, but that's usually only when the cancellation was their fault (mechanical for example).  Cruiseline isn't responsible for how you get to the cruise or get home, just responsible for once you set foot on the ship.

Just now, AshleyDillo said:

With no trip insurance, SOL.  Sometimes if the cruise gets canceled the cruiseline will offer some compensation for flight change fees, but that's usually only when the cancellation was their fault (mechanical for example).  Cruiseline isn't responsible for how you get to the cruise or get home, just responsible for once you set foot on the ship.

Check what card you used to charge the cruise and hotel though. Some cards now are offering free travel insurance as a perk. Costco Citi Card, and Chase Sapphire for instance.

24 minutes ago, KimmieQ said:

So we got notification from X that they do plan on sailing one hour early from FLL at this point so the previous posting on another board was correct; we are just glad to have some word and are currently having air travel issues trying to get to FLL.  This is for Equinox 8/31.

I thought this might happen.  Won't be the only early sailing tomorrow.  That's an extra 25 miles they can put between the ship and the storm.

7 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I'm in travel insurance limbo here.  When do you think NHC will issue hurricane warnings for Ft. Lauderdale?  I see they're up for the Bahamas.  If NHC does this before my flight is scheduled to leave tomorrow I can recoup those costs if I walk away.  Otherwise insurance says I have to take my scheduled flight and they will reimburse me for all of the extra costs I incur during the 3 days til the ship sails or until the cruise is officially canceled.  

Obviously I'll just eat the costs of the flight over potentially getting stuck in a mess in Ft. Lauderdale, but want some beacon of hope that the timing falls inline so it is covered!

Yea, this is the tough thing with travel insurance. You'd think they'd figure out the costs could be lower if they started covering cancellation now without extra travel costs to pay.  But if you walk away from the flight you might be walking away from a shortened cruise, not a canceled one?  And then you don't get reimbursed for the cruise at all? 

8 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I don’t know the specifics but watches and warnings are posted when the storm reaches x amount of hrs from the area potentially affected. I would guess the timeline for these to be posted would be 48-72 hrs in advance. 

43 minutes ago, murfturf said:

PS I had a Future cruise credit for several years from buying it on board, and it didn't expire. I kept forgetting to use it and finally did about 6 years later! 

Those future cruise credits bought onboard did not have expiration dates. I just used one I bought in 2013 for my next Allure cruise. However, the future cruise credit I received from a hurricane affected cruise did expire in a year. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I was asking for future reference with insurance. Based on your comments about your trip.. would would happen if you traveled somewhere and and to go back home? Refund for flight or too bad..

4 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

But if you walk away from the flight you might be walking away from a shortened cruise, not a canceled one?  And then you don't get reimbursed for the cruise at all? 

The cruiseline is giving 100% credit for the cruise, so I'm made whole there. 

I'm just out the flight costs because if I don't take the original flight I'm the one who made the choice to incur the loss at that point.  In the eyes of the insurance company there's no reason for me not to take my original flight at this point.  If I was flying to somewhere under a hurricane warning, though, then yes that's reason enough.  If the cruise is canceled, then yes, that is reason enough.

4 minutes ago, Coopdog08 said:

I don’t know the specifics but watches and warnings are posted when the storm reaches x amount of hrs from the area potentially affected. I would guess the timeline for these to be posted would be 48-72 hrs in advance. 

Yup..I know what prompts the watches to be initiated.  Just wanted some armchair amateur meteorologists to chime in with opinions and speculation to make me feel better 😁 

All in all I'm not out a substantial amount of money for the flights but I feel like dangit I did the right thing and purchased travel insurance; I set it up to arrive the day before my cruise to account for delays -- and it's all biting me in the butt now! 😂

Concerning travel insurance, read the policy. Different insurance covers differently. I purchase yearly travel insurance through Allianz and have had to submit a claim for full cruise refund on Celebrity from Honolulu to Vancouver and three nights hotel refund in Waikiki. Keep all your receipts and your trip itinerary. Delta returned my sky miles to my account and credited back the fees to my credit card.

3 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

The cruiseline is giving 100% credit for the cruise, so I'm made whole there. 

I'm just out the flight costs because if I don't take the original flight I'm the one who made the choice to incur the loss at that point.  In the eyes of the insurance company there's no reason for me not to take my original flight at this point.  If I was flying to somewhere under a hurricane warning, though, then yes that's reason enough.  If the cruise is canceled, then yes, that is reason enough.

Yup..I know what prompts the watches to be initiated.  Just wanted some armchair amateur meteorologists to chime in with opinions and speculation to make me feel better 😁 

All in all I'm not out a substantial amount of money for the flights but I feel like dangit I did the right thing and purchased travel insurance; I set it up to arrive the day before my cruise to account for delays -- and it's all biting me in the butt now! 😂

Have you checked with your airline? Many are allowing a flight change free if you were flying to Florida.is your hotel non refundable? Check your travel insurance policy and determine what they should cover. Mine even covered a non refundable, non changeable  three nights hotel in Waikiki I had booked on Priceline

9 minutes ago, NyYankees2k3 said:

I was asking for future reference with insurance. Based on your comments about your trip.. would would happen if you traveled somewhere and and to go back home? Refund for flight or too bad..

I've worked in the insurance industry for over 10 years..so I understand this stuff and all the loopholes and why the policies are written the way that they are.

Now each insurance policy has different rules.  You have to read and understand your contract.  They all cover different things for different reasons.  My particular insurance was NOT purchased through the cruiseline.  It's an insurance policy for a trip.  A trip is defined as when you leave your home until you return.  So if you fly to the cruise in this case, the insurance covers your flights as well.

You take your flight as scheduled and get in Miami.  Find out the cruise is canceled.  That's considered a cancellation by a common carrier and thus it is a covered loss. You need to inform the insurance company that you will be making a claim within 72 hours of this happening.  In this situation, the insurance policy will cover the cost of change fees to change your flight home.  If your earliest flight option requires you to stay overnight the policy covers reasonable accommodations (hotel, incidentals, etc).  You have to prove that you had no other flight options (screen shot all flights sold out, airport closure notifications, etc.).  But basically you are covered for your expenses until you get home.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruising grandma said:

Have you checked with your airline? Many are allowing a flight change free if you were flying to Florida.is your hotel non refundable? Check your travel insurance policy and determine what they should cover. Mine even covered a non refundable, non changeable  three nights hotel in Waikiki I had booked on Priceline

Delta's offering this for Sept1-4.  My flight is Aug31..so just outside the deadline.

Hotel was cancellable with no penalty.  Seriously the airfare is the only out of pocket here.  Trust me I'm surveying the cruise insurance policy up and down and back and forth and have called them and they told me on the phone if I don't take my original flight there's no claim.  I have to take the original flight down and put myself up in a hotel for 4 nights until the cruise..they would cover 3 of those nights since I was originally only supposed to be staying one night.  

The fact that the cruise is delayed and not outright canceled changes everything in the eyes of the insurance company.

Edited by AshleyDillo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KimmieQ said:

The Equinox is headed in to FLL, which we are supposed to leave out on tmrw at 3:30.  So far Celebrity says it’s a go.  We are boarding our first flight that way now.  Also could someone please clarify when to get to the port?  As long as nothing changes my pass says 12:30.  But somewhere I saw to arrive two hours prior so I’m a little confused.  Also we are Concierge class and I saw something about priority check in.  Thanks for all help. Praying for everyone in the path of this storm. 

We are on Celeb with some regularity. Those times to arrive at port are recommended, and under these circumstances I would plan on arriving early, maybe 10-10:30.

More importantly, I would monitor the email acct that Celebrity uses to correspond with you as well as the website for last minute changes and notifications- they may drastically change your arrival time.

2 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Delta's offering this for Sept1-4.  My flight is Aug31..so just outside the deadline.

Hotel was cancellable with no penalty.  Seriously the airfare is the only out of pocket here.  Trust me I'm surveying the cruise insurance policy up and down and back and forth and have called them and they told me on the phone if I don't take my original flight there's no claim.  I have to take the original flight down and put myself up in a hotel for 4 nights until the cruise..they would cover 3 of those nights since I was originally only supposed to be staying one night.  

Do you cruise with your brother and mom? I think we’ve met.😀

2 hours ago, 3redheads said:

I wonder how often a cruise is completely cancelled due to a hurricane?  The cruise lines are good at altering itineraries and lengthening/shortening cruises, but to outright cancel?  

Not often, but it does happen.  Royal Caribbean canceled (I think) two cruises from San Juan after Maria, while Carnival canceled three.  Carnival actually canceled another 15 cruises after that, but not directly because of the hurricane; the ship was actually chartered to FEMA for housing for disaster relief workers.  There may be other recent examples, but others will have to tell you about those.

I hope it doesn't happen this time around, but  if one or more of the ports receives significant damage, some of the shorter cruises might have to be canceled.

6 minutes ago, cruising grandma said:

Do you cruise with your brother and mom? I think we’ve met.😀

Yes..we have met.  My mother is my +1 on this go around. 

It was her insistence that we fly in the night before; I would have been fine with day of.  Travel insurance always will take care of a delay or late arrival day of, but she always insists.  In this case we would have been in the Delta refund zone and been fine.  It will be good fodder for this argument in the future at least 😂

Edited by AshleyDillo

1 minute ago, AshleyDillo said:

Yes..we have met.  My mother is my +1 on this go around. 

It was her insistence that we fly in the night before; I would have been fine with day of.  Travel insurance always will take care of a delay or late arrival day of, but she always insists.  In this case we would have been in the Delta refund zone and been fine.  It will be good fodder for this argument in the future at least 😂

I must agree with your mom. If at all possible, I always fly in a day pre cruise.😉

Good luck to y’all!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

they are in discussions this afternoon about putting up the warnings.  It was possibly going to be tonight but now that everything has changed by 24 hours it could be tomorrow. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

In the Bahamas: Fantasy (Canaveral)....

Fantasy sails out of Mobile. 

Ooops --- Sorry. Thought you were referring to Carnival Fantasy not Disney Fantasy. 

Following

Edited by wikoffclan
wrong ship

19 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

they are in discussions this afternoon about putting up the warnings.  It was possibly going to be tonight but now that everything has changed by 24 hours it could be tomorrow. 

Ugghh....I heard that on the radio this morning about evacuation orders.  They planned for starting it all this morning and then the forecast changed and they're holding off.

Knowing my luck my flight will have departed hours before the watches are issued.   And it's too soon for flight cancellations to start happening.  Don't think the cruiseline will cancel the cruise completely (although they could shorten it even more) but that still has to happen before I get on my flight for it to give me reason to cancel.

I guess if really wanted an adventure I could just take the flight and kick it in Ft.Lauderdale until the cruise ends up sailing out.  Insurance would cover the costs of that 🤔

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.