Atlantic storm Dorian

PelicanBill

1 hour ago, Siobhan said:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/profile/113946-pelicanbill/ Pelican Bill what are your thoughts on NCL Sun due to sail Sept 2nd.  I assume it will be delayed but how long do you think it will take for the port to reopen (if it does close)? Is it likely to be cancelled? 

We're on the SUN currently.. our updated itinerary has us returning on 3rd tue or 4th Wednesday.. So your cruise is definitely going to be delayed or canceled. 

8 minutes ago, gizmoneil said:

We're on the SUN currently.. our updated itinerary has us returning on 3rd tue or 4th Wednesday.. So your cruise is definitely going to be delayed or canceled. 

Thanks for the update, flying across the Atlantic in the morning so it looks like a week in Orlando for us!  Did anyone else notice the Dorian updates are no longer on the NCL home page?  Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place?

image.thumb.png.84b5464a8f58780f9c6f6d03ae85c317.png

On 8/28/2019 at 12:33 PM, Raiderguy8 said:

We are also from Ohio (Dayton) and driving down on Sunday.  We should carpool!

Safe travels tomorrow on your way to Charleston.  We will see you on the ship.  I think too be sage we are parking at the airport.  We would like a dry vehicle for the ride home.

Port of Miami went to Yankee at 12pm today which typically means they expect Zulu tomorrow which is complete port closure.  They would need to special permission to come in now and they definitely won't be allowed tomorrow. Can't believe they haven't announced a decision, though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

We are more concerned about our car sitting at the port all week.  I think at this point were gluing to park at the airport and uber in to the port.  

If your car would be in a lot definitely don't park at port. If a couple levels up probably ok but airport is good option if lots not full already

26 minutes ago, DetachableMonkey said:

I thought for sure you were missing the updates on the homepage, but yep - - they've removed them. Absolutely ridiculous. 

I was able to get in touch with ncl 3 steps before boarding our flight in Baltomore. The Breakaway is cancelled per customer service person at ncl. 

4 minutes ago, SCOYLE058 said:

I was able to get in touch with ncl 3 steps before boarding our flight in Baltomore. The Breakaway is cancelled per customer service person at ncl. 

So glad you were able to find out. Guess a Carnival ship was going to slip in tonight and disembark, but has to head back out without any passengers from tomorrow’s cruise.  A lot of angry people, but the cruise line cannot control port access. 

• Like 1

Just now saw that NCL reposted their "update". Nothing has changed at all for our Sun 9/2 sailing. How will the Sun get back from Cozumel anytime near the supposed return window, especially if Port Canaveral is closed? We are flying in from Tucson, AZ starting on Sunday 6pm, (3 leg journey) via NCL's Air program, and this is frustrating not knowing WTH this will play out. 

1 hour ago, buckeyefrank said:

Safe travels tomorrow on your way to Charleston.  We will see you on the ship.  I think too be sage we are parking at the airport.  We would like a dry vehicle for the ride home.

You too.  If you see a guy with a Dayton Flyers lanyard and he is with a woman with a New Kids on the Block lanyard come up and say hi!

The Carnival Horizon is in port right now dropping off passengers.  They were denied permission to stay till tomorrow to embark new passengers.   We were told the port may re-open Mon Tues or Wed,  Every one is in Limbo.

They offered to let you cancel for a future cruise credit or shorter cruise pro rated. 

8 hours ago, ducklite said:

It is a large storm and the Atlantic side of Florida is still going to feel at minimum tropical storm force winds.  The Orlando airport is closing Monday.  The barrier islands in Brevard County (where Port Canaveral is) were just issued mandatory evacuation orders by the BCSO starting Sunday morning.  

They now moved the evacuation orders to Monday morning at 8AM. 

8/31/19 | 2:30PM | #PressRelease: #Dorian Slows; Brevard County Delays Mandatory Evacuations 24 Hours

Brevard County emergency officials have announced a 24-hour delay in mandatory evacuations, and are now calling for evacuations to begin at 8 a.m. Monday due to a slowing but still dangerous Hurricane Dorian.

The following residents should START evacuating on Monday, Sept. 2, at 8 a.m.:
those in mobile homes or manufactured housing,
those in low-lying, flood-prone areas,
those with special medical needs such as electrical dependence,
those who live on the barrier islands, including areas from Kennedy Space Center south to the south beaches, and Merritt Island.
The mandatory evacuation was initially to begin at 8 a.m. Sunday. However, the path of the slow-moving Dorian has allowed more time for residents to prepare for a major water and wind event still threatening Brevard County beginning on Tuesday.

"This is not your government saying we're out of harm's way," said Public Safety Director Matt Wallace. "This is still a killer storm. We want our residents to remain vigilant, to protect your family and loved ones and to make smart decisions.

"A decision is also pending on the opening of County shelters. Depending on Dorian's progress, County officials stressed evacuations and potential shelter openings could be subject to change.

To determine whether an address is located in an evacuation zone, visit https://*****/2wKvjq0 to plug in the address at the search engine in the upper left hand corner.

Information can be obtained from @BrevardEOC on Twitter, Brevard County Emergency Management on Facebook, www.embrevard.com, by texting BrevardEOC to 888777, or by calling 2-1-1.

• Like 1

11pm Saturday update.

about the same for path and strength. Offshore but dangerous for coastline. Look up hurricane Matthew for similar.  

Horrible 2 days for Grand Bahama and Abaco.

Lots of time to change path. Carolinas need to prepare. Florida is not out of risk area.

more cruise chaos as Miami sets condition yankee after some counted on turnaround tomorrow morning. I can see Breakaway along heading toward Miami as all other ships head south! Horizon sailing tonight in compliance presumably with no passengers.

what a mess. Lots of lessons to learn.

Coast Guard goes by expected arrival of TS winds to switch to condition ZULU (complete closure).  ZULU is set 12 hours prior to the expected TS winds arrival.  The most recent projections pretty much confirms Port Everglades and Port Miami will call ZULU tomorrow.

030615_earliest_reasonable_toa_no_wsp_34.png.3eaa2896cf3bbcc26d676f65b9444bea.png

8 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

11pm Saturday update.

about the same for path and strength. Offshore but dangerous for coastline. Look up hurricane Matthew for similar.  

Horrible 2 days for Grand Bahama and Abaco.

Lots of time to change path. Carolinas need to prepare. Florida is not out of risk area.

more cruise chaos as Miami sets condition yankee after some counted on turnaround tomorrow morning. I can see Breakaway along heading toward Miami as all other ships head south! Horizon sailing tonight in compliance presumably with no passengers.

what a mess. Lots of lessons to learn.

Yea We were set to sail today on the Horizon. Sad but not Carnivals fault.  This is a good reason to have insurance, The people that was on the previous cruise that came in early to disembark said they were offered to stay onboard or get off early. I'm no weather man but I don't think we will sail till WED.  3 day cruise to nowhere maybe,  Not sure.  

It sucks but it is the rick of sailing during hurricane season.  

A lot of people on our FB page are so pissed at Carnival,  I think many didn't buy insurance so they have to be pissed at somebody.   Carnival ask permission from the port to stay so they could embark passengers today but were denied. 

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.